AP Preview Advice Needed

Happy2BMommy0812

Mouseketeer
Hi All,

We were lucky to get AP Preview spots for our family, but as we don’t live locally and don’t have a vacation planned, we will need to fly down, which we are willing to do, but I was hoping for advice.

How crowded are these AP previews usually? We also will be at disney for a planned vacation in October, so if the AP previews are usually crowded, maybe we should just face the crowd in October. Thoughts?

Is the 4 hour window enough time to see it all? How long was the wait for Avatar at the AP Preview of Pandora or other AP previews?

Debating my options. Flights on southwest are cheap right now, could fly the whole family down and book a night in a hotel for about $600, then we’d shorten our October trip by a day or two to even out the $. Would love advice from those who have been to similar events.

I've had a room booked just in case I got into the AP previews, however, there are still a lot of resort rooms out there at decent prices with the AP discount. I haven't booked a flight yet but will shortly. If you booked the preview, you should come even if it's just for one night. Among other things there will probably be special passholder preview merchandise. I've been to other AP previews and it hasn't been too crowded although it looks like a lot of people while you are waiting to enter. At Pandora we walked on both rides over and over. Galaxy's Edge could be a whole different ballgame. No one knows. I did read in another thread about someone coming from England for the preview and then flying back the same day so you aren't the only one thinking about just flying in for a day or so.

Last edited:
Hi All,

We were lucky to get AP Preview spots for our family, but as we don’t live locally and don’t have a vacation planned, we will need to fly down, which we are willing to do, but I was hoping for advice.

How crowded are these AP previews usually? We also will be at disney for a planned vacation in October, so if the AP previews are usually crowded, maybe we should just face the crowd in October. Thoughts?

Is the 4 hour window enough time to see it all? How long was the wait for Avatar at the AP Preview of Pandora or other AP previews?

Debating my options. Flights on southwest are cheap right now, could fly the whole family down and book a night in a hotel for about $600, then we’d shorten our October trip by a day or two to even out the $. Would love advice from those who have been to similar events.
The previews have a cap. They shouldn’t be crazy crowded but it likely won’t be completely empty either.

The four hours should be enough to see and do most things. Disneyland did the same four hour limit for their reservation period and people were fine with it you can read reviews of that in other threads here.

Pandora preview we walked right on FOP and did it multiple times. Navi' was walk on but once was enough. The land was empty compared to after it opened - which was nice to appreciate all the details which won't be as enjoyable once the land is shoulder to shoulder. We stayed for every minute of it to enjoy it as much as possible with fewer folks. We didn't return to Pandora for at least 6 months because it was so crowded. Now with SWGE not having it's premier ride open yet, October won't be as bad as it could be but I would still expect crowded. (WDW is not the same as DL)

If you can afford the money, I would absolutely go for it and enjoy it in a way it will never be again except for private events.

Pandora preview we walked right on FOP and did it multiple times. Navi' was walk on but once was enough. The land was empty compared to after it opened - which was nice to appreciate all the details which won't be as enjoyable once the land is shoulder to shoulder. We stayed for every minute of it to enjoy it as much as possible with fewer folks. We didn't return to Pandora for at least 6 months because it was so crowded. Now with SWGE not having it's premier ride open yet, October won't be as bad as it could be but I would still expect crowded. (WDW is not the same as DL)

If you can afford the money, I would absolutely go for it and enjoy it in a way it will never be again except for private events.
Exactly this. I think the reason AP Previews are so coveted is that you get to go before a land opens, plus it’s not packed at all. It’s not like the majority of after hours events or parties where it does get crowded and sometimes oversold. I say go for it and enjoy the preview!

We're AP in PA. We're flying in on Frontier on the 17th- staying at Coronado (it was ASMusic until a few hours ago when I realized it wasn't an extreme price difference) , preview 18th, and flying back on the 19th. Even with today's upgrade, we were able to book airfare and resort for around $800. We already had a trip booked for November and when fall discounts came out, I was able to save about $700. Not sure what rate you have then, but maybe you can save $ and not shorten your trip!

I agree with the above. The Pandora was great i that it was not crowded and you could see all of the touches in the land. We received a "FP" for FoP in our MDE but it turns out it was the method they used to allow you into the land in general and the rides were walk on as many times as you wanted (no line at all).

I had heard that they let you into the land about 30 minutes early so we lined up behind what looked like 2000 people. They did let us i a little early and once in the area, it felt like they had only let a few hundred in because everyone was spread out.

I can't remember how long they gave us in Pandora but I know that we did not use our full time. We rode the rides (FoP more than once) and shopped and looked around but ran out of things to see and do before our time would have been up.

Also, we did not receive anything to identify our time slot (like a wristband) so i don't know how they would have enforced the time. I don't know if GE will be the same but that was our experience for Pandora.

Have you decided what you’ll do? I have the Sunday 9-1. I’ve tried to change an obligation we have Saturday afternoon, but have been unsuccessful and so we’d end up landing at MCO at 9pm Saturday and fly out Sunday at 4:30 or 7pm. I’m not sure I want to do that.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter