AP prices increased [6/18/2019]

Glad I upgraded last month when I was there. As someone who lives a long ways away, this will probably be the last time I get an AP, it's just not worth it for me for 2 trips a year. We'll probably go back to staying off property as well, it's just gotten too expensive.

Ugh, over the past TWO DAYS was literally the first time I considered getting an AP, not because of GE, but because of trips we have coming up. Now I don't know if it'll be worth it. Grrr.
Same here! We were considering upgrading our 2 day ticket in July since we will go for a week in Spring 2020 and maybe another short trip—I don’t think we will get them now :(

There's more discussion in a separate thread here but I don't think the mods are gonna merge them so I'll just re-post what I did there to here...

Last month I posted in this thread regarding the 'break even' of an AP vs the cost of doing multiple trips/multiple day tickets for non-Florida residents. I have updated that graphic to reflect the new AP pricing and provided both below. But first, the standout takeaway: with the old pricing Platinum APs would cover the cost of two trips at 4-days each but now with the updated pricing you can't 'break even' in 2 trips; you'll have to go 3 trips for a minimum of 3 days each trip.

Ok, so are the graphics showing the comparison on an AP vs 'regular' ticket between the old pricing as of 05/05/2019 (top) and the new pricing as of 06/18/2019 (bottom). (Side note: for the love of all that is sane, please read my 'notes' in the graphics; the comparisons do not take in to account AP discounts when comparing to non-AP tickets. The purpose is solely to illustrate the pricing differences between AP vs regular tickets, with the park hopper option.)

Previous AP pricing (as of 05/05/2019):

disney tix vs ap.png

Updated AP pricing (as of 06/18/2019):

disney tix vs ap updated 06182019.png

Think of somewhere or several somewheres you've always wanted to go and price them out a little. Compare it to the Disney vacation you've already done many times. See what you think.

Maybe you still do Disney, but it doesn't hurt to take a gander at how far these Disney prices will take you in another location.

I have an AP now. I also have DVC. Had several days off in May. Could not get a DVC room. Priced out a room at Swan/Dolphin and added in meals.

Priced out an all inclusive in Mexico (5 star, wonderful service, no extra charges...)

Went to Mexico! It was cheaper! LOL!

They know that end of the day, we will all be there.

No, we won't. I have gone from 600 DVC points to 200. Those may go soon. AP expires the end of July, it won't be renewed.

On a personal note...

My family had been AP holders up until this year. This year was different because we had a trip to Europe (and visited DLP) and, while we are planning on visiting in November, we just didn't have the funds or vacation time available to do additional WDW trips to justify an AP. 2020 will also be a no-AP year for us because we plan to do DCL.

BUT… and this is where I imagine we aren’t alone … we had every intention on buying APs for 2021 (or thereabouts) so we could visit multiple times during the 50th anniversary celebration. At the previous ticket prices, our break-even point would have been covered by the AP in two trips. We would likely have gone 3-4 times that year. Now, with the updated prices (and assuming this relationship stays roughly the same), they may have very well priced us in to only 2 trips without using APs. Of course, we will have to see how things shake out closer to that date and AP discounts may help some. Still, speaking for my family, with this updated AP vs single ticket pricing structure, Disney is going to get less money from my family in 2021 as whole than they would have thanks to this AP increase when you consider the overall cost of the vacation (hotels, food, and merch).

And, as I alluded to above, the thing that concerns me is if this pricing parity between AP and non-AP tickets isn’t withheld, that would have to be due to an increase in non-AP tickets because we know they won’t lower the price of their APs. So either we can expect a constant 20-25% delta between AP and non-AP tickets or we can expect non-AP tickets to start having more than minimal jumps. I would expect the former to be true but who knows.

We buy weekday APs, as they suit our needs perfectly. The increase of $30 a year is nothing. I can spend that much in the Dollar Tree. I'll renew in January, no question about it.

If we still lived out of state and were looking at a few hundred dollars difference, I might find somewhere more inexpensive to vacation. We only went to Disney annually (or less) when we lived out of state anyway. There are lots of cheap fun things out there to do, especially for people who love camping and fishing, like us. :)

I think, I should buy more Disney stock on the next dip.

The increases on a percentage basis for the APs are pretty crazy, but I can say the same thing about the price increases for my iPhone.

As long as the monthly payments are manageable for people, they will pay. Disney has fantastic pricing power.

This move will not reduce crowds.

Disney might lose a whole bunch of FL residents buying the Platinum and plus passes due to this insane price increase.

Possibly they have done the math and prefer that?

Florida Residents are their bread and butter, most frequent visitors, and they almost always drive. Nothing would surprise me but I doubt it.

Are they though? With parks over filled who is likely to spend more for their space in the park? AP local who is essentially going to the park for free, has all the souvenirs and ate at all the resurants? Or the 1 time visitor every year or couple of years that needs to pay single day ticket price, buys food as a splurge on vacation, and gets those expensive souviners like a Lightsaber?

I think the issue Disney is trying to deal with is being risk adverse by not ticking the locals off so much they never come back so if there is a rescission they can pull them back in.

Right not locals are like the girl/guy you tell you will call them to go out on Friday night if your plans fall through.

Meh...a five day park hopper ticket for next week is $553. Two five day trips is virtually the same money wise as the platinum AP for those of us who live out of state, plus we get all the 'extras' with the AP. I'm still seeing the AP as a good deal. Not as good as before, but still good.

Im sure Disney wont care but this decision has caused me to cancel plans to purchase DVC this winter. We will still go to Disney of course, but will stick with discounted packages when they are available and we wont be renewing AP. This just shows me there is no end in sight to their aggressive price increases.

Prices were always going up with SWGA. The timing seems to be geared toward dealing with that opening. Increases were always coming. And they won't stop any time soon.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts