AP prices increased [6/18/2019]

The parks are constantly crowded. They can increase their prices quite a bit and lets face it - if less people come, it is a better experience for those guests (less long lines, etc). We don't have to like it, but as a business they know exactly what they are doing. They will know when they hit the price point where they are making maximum profit without turning away too many people (decreased profit). And yes, they will likely keep increasing until they hit that curve.
They will make money on this. Not enough people will not renew for them to lose money or break even.

Glad I purchased a few months ago. I knew they would be going up with the addition of SWGE.
We missed the lower price DLR ones, so I was quick to grab our WDW ones.
We will be doing about 30 days in 2020.

My friend I am traveling with in Jan, probably did not get hers before the increase. At least there is just one for her to buy

My family last bought DL passes just before Carsland opened, knowing the AP price would go up - and it did. Not only that, but the AP regulars kept buying them, so the price has continued to go up and up - and they KEEP buying them! It makes no sense to me - you may be able to reason away that it is just X dollars more, and less when you spread that out over the number of visits, but how much less was it 3 price increases ago when you reasoned the purchase through that time?

The only way to staunch the price increases is to exercise your power as a consumer and STOP BUYING THE AP's! Only then with Disney find their price point. But no - AP'ers will be AP'ers and, just like in DL, I don't see this trend changing any time soon. Disney wants to maximize their profits, yes, but they also need to control crowds. Price is the only way they can do this. They did the same thing with congestion pricing. At least in DL, the AP blackout dates, along with the higher congestion prices worked. We limit our DL trips to just a day or 2 a year and always when the price is highest...and the crowds are lowest.

Call me selfish, but here's hoping that this latest price increase on WDW AP's worked and we have smaller crowds for our 2020 trip 🍻.

I agree with you, but the platinum AP was the wrong increase to make. These are out of state people who aren't really the issue with crowds. It's the Gold AP people that cram the parks on the weekends especially.
agreed! they did it wrong

This is what disney should've done for the FL residents IMO
A small price increase ($30-$90) for the Platinum and plus passes
Larger increase ($100-$225) for the weekday select, silver, and gold.
Disney might lose a whole bunch of FL residents buying the Platinum and plus passes due to this insane price increase. If they would've increased the price the way I suggested above, they probably would've gained a bunch of people wanting to upgrade their pass because of how close the price would be to highest rated pass.
But people are willing to pay whatever these days.

They don't care. We're out of state. Travel 2-3 times per year. Called to try and upgrade from tickets on 2 different trips and pay the difference for the AP. Disney could not do it over the phone (mind blowing in 2019) and told us we would have to wait until we were in the park during our July trip. Now....HUGE increase less then 3 weeks before our trip. Will cost $900 more for the four of us. We tried to make it happen. Disney tech failed us and WE pay for it. I love Disney - but that is terrible customer service.

I will be real interested to see what will happen with all the themeparks, cruise lines, private resorts, etc. when the next recession hits. They have all increased their prices so much over the last 6-7 years. If the next recession is even half as bad as the last one, we may actually see some of these leisure companies go into bankruptcy very quickly. Maybe not a Disney, but many others not quite as diverse will be hit really fast.

We booked magic your way for November and decided afterward that we wanted to upgrade to APs. We were told we had to wait until we were actually in the park in November to upgrade. We could afford and justify it under the previous price structure. With this, we will not break even with two week long stays at WDW with MYW tickets at value/moderate resorts. So disappointing. We've certainly been priced out. :sad1:

I see this as a crowd control method, not financial. Yes they'll make more money, and yes costs keep increasing for the mouse, but the theme parks make a very healthy return on revenue. They didn't need the increased revenue from this. This to me seems like nothing but trying to control the crowds IMO.

I agree with you and one is coming. Disney will be begging for people to come back like they did in 08, but most everyone will have moved on to other destinations by then.

Yea, but if they do a “pay for 4, get 3 free” resort promotion again, everyone will be back.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!