AP question

Bodaga

Earning My Ears
I’m doing some number crunching for a wdw trip within the next two years with my family of 4 and a joining family of 3.
I was wondering about AP and if I had bought one for myself are there discounts toward tickets for my family and friends for the days they’d be going to the parks?

We will be doing some EMH just gotta see if it’s gonna balance out getting a pass or not.
Thank you for the info

We will be doing some EMH
Just to clarify... EMH (Extra Magic Hours) are open to anyone staying at an on-site resort or one of the few partner hotels. No extra ticket required, just any regular park admission.

Disney After Hours (DAH) is a hard-ticket event, requiring separate admission from your regular park ticket. There may be a discount available with an AP.

There are shopping and dining discounts available with an AP, and possibly a room discount.

Enjoy your vacation!

Ok so is after hours is more exclusive than EMH cause it’s hard ticket event.
And EMH is just for hotel guests, right?
Also would renting a DVC 2 bed villa be better than trying to get the hotel discount with the AP?

Also would renting a DVC 2 bed villa be better than trying to get the hotel discount with the AP?

EMH is just for onsite resort guests or those staying at a partner hotel that qualifies for EMH. Nobody really knows how many DAH tickets get sold per event, so whether it's more or less crowded may depend on the night and the event. Be aware there can be limited attractions open during either EMH or DAH. You can find threads about DAH on the TPAS forum, and I'm sure people there have reported how crowded/not crowded. (I haven't attended DAH so can't say.)
MK DAH thread
AK DAH thread
DHS DAH thread

As for renting DVC - you'll have to crunch the numbers. It really depends on the resort and discount available during your dates. If you are considering renting DVC, be aware of the caveats that come with that -- generally non-refundable, limited housekeeping, etc.

Enjoy your vacation!

Last edited:
You'll have to do more research on the DVC 2 bed villa, for both cost and availability. When you're doing that you'll probably also want to research renting DVC points. You can get rack rate prices on Villa resorts (if you book with Disney with no discount) here for 2019.

You can get merchandise discounts as long as you're the one who pays.

Food discount is only for Passholder and up to 3 guests, only at select locations and some of them only select meal times (like lunch but not dinner at Teppan Edo).

AP rate availability has almost become a joke so don't purchase an AP just for that. When rates are released you can call Disney and if there is AP availability you can book the rate and as long as you have an Annual Pass at check-in you'll get to use the rate.

Also keep in mind Plat AP (what you get if you're a non-FL resident, non-DVC owner) went up 20% this year. So I would add at least 20% to the AP price for 2 years from now. I would also add 15% to your estimated food/dining plan costs considering the some of the price increases we just saw last night (I just saw my Artist point go from $55/person to $63)...

WOW!
The percentages, the rate hikes, and advantages of getting a AP for just the one vaca down is not looking like it’ll balance out!
What I’m taking from this info that’s has been givin is that it probably wouldn’t be wise not to do an Annual Pass. Lol
I much appreciate all the info that has been given.
I got a lot more planning too do and only got 2 yrs to do it! Lol
Better get goin on it.

WOW!
The percentages, the rate hikes, and advantages of getting a AP for just the one vaca down is not looking like it’ll balance out!
What I’m taking from this info that’s has been givin is that it probably wouldn’t be wise not to do an Annual Pass. Lol
I much appreciate all the info that has been given.
I got a lot more planning too do and only got 2 yrs to do it! Lol
Better get goin on it.

I think most people find it will take a minimum of 2 trips within 12 months (or one VERY long trip) to make it 'worth it.' So, if possible to make one trip in June and the next years trip in May, this is quite doable. I got a single AP several times just to get the 'free' parking at parks, dining & shopping discounts, & sometimes Tables in Wonderland all while staying off site (you can now get EMH & 60 day FP selection at about 8 off site resorts...who knows what these programs will look like in 2 years??). So, I was able to add up 14ish paid parking fees to help offset the ticket price balance.

MM is also included with an AP. It's something we buy every trip.

You can also try using a Disney specific travel agent. My sister booked a trip through one and got a great hotel price, but also got park tickets cheaper than she was able to get on her own. I was actually surprised by the savings-- I always told the TA, 'no, I'll get tickets on my own'.

You can also try using a Disney specific travel agent. My sister booked a trip through one and got a great hotel price, but also got park tickets cheaper than she was able to get on her own. I was actually surprised by the savings-- I always told the TA, 'no, I'll get tickets on my own'.
That TA likely did a convention rate room block over specific dates.

For our past, multi generations trip we rented points and stayed in a villa. It was significantly cheaper than had we tried to book directly through Disney. However not cheaper than just doing multiple rooms at a non deluxe hotel. However the ease of all being together made the expense worth it. Renting points is non refundable but we used a CC that had built-in trip insurance to help mitigate that.

We may be different than some AP folks. We have done APs twice. (We just activated our 2nd set on 9/26). We got them for the whole family in early July 2003 and used them 3 times (weeks) finishing in June 2004. Now, in 2003 I got six - 4 "over 9" and 2 "under 9" for a total of $2000. I still have the CHECK I wrote. I think back then you needed to go 12 times to break even. We spent 21 nights on property during the year.
We knew it was a one year plan unlike folks who renew them for years. (We did a 7 night DCL in '06 and '08 and a week at WDW in '07 on the dining plan when it was new included gratuity!)

Time Hop to 2019 and DH and I just retired and to reward ourselves we got APs. We have 3 trips booked and 3 more short ones planned in addition to the one back in September. There are A LOT of discounts - shopping and dining. Friday the 11th we ate at Whispering Canyon before our Disney Cruise and the APs saved 10%. I was disappointed on room discounts - so far. I know that AP discounts are often closer to your stay so you don't really know.

Back in June '04 we were going to stay 9 nights in 2 rooms at an All Star but I got a message about AP discounts and got Coronado Springs for a lot less than AS.

I've got a room only at POFQ for March that I'm hoping to get lowered BUT POFQ doesn't discount often.

ALSO - You can buy an AP now and hold on to it in case of price increases. It won't expire until 12/30! yes 2030. I bought them in June and activated them in Sept. Your My Disney App will know you have it. And before you activate it you can transfer it to someone else if you had a reason to.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!