AP Renewal Issue

martaroo

Earning My Ears
Hi just wondering if anyone else has encountered a similar issue.
I purchased my first AP last June (Platinum) Now that I am within the renewal window I went into MDE to check out the renewal cost and it only gave me FL resident pricing options even though I live in MN. All of my address information in MDE is for MN and has always been the same address since the day I created MDE account. I have never lived in FL and I am the only person attached to my account. I was also physically in MN when looking online.
I called MDE Guest Service and stumped them as well as she could not figure out why I was only seeing FL pricing options. I was on hold while she made calls to other areas to problem solve the issue but to no success. I was told to just make the renewal over the phone when I was ready to. Not the biggest deal, but just wondering if anyone has experienced anything similar. Thanks!

could you be seeing the 15% discount that you get for renwel and think it was the FL pass price? ( I know this is more then likely not what happened just a thought, but they should give you the discounted price for all your time.

could you be seeing the 15% discount that you get for renwel and think it was the FL pass price? ( I know this is more then likely not what happened just a thought, but they should give you the discounted price for all your time.
Not to hijack the thread, but are you saying that renewing an AP saves you 15% off the cost? So instead of $849 I’d pay $721?! I’m new to this whole AP business, so we may get them next year.

Not to hijack the thread, but are you saying that renewing an AP saves you 15% off the cost? So instead of $849 I’d pay $721?!

Yes.

The downside is that if you will NOT be using your AP during the first 2 months (give or take) of the renewal year, it can be a better deal to NOT renew the AP, but instead, just wait until your actual next trip to WDW and buy a completely new, full-price AP.
That way, you'll have the use of that new AP for a full year following its new date.

It was not the 15% off price. There are multiple plans to choose from and all start with "FL Res". The annual price on the FL Res Platinum adds up to less then what I would be able to get for the 15% off as a non resident. All were listed as the monthly price which I believe is only offered to FL residents and there were plans (like the gold) only offered to FL.

It was not the 15% off price. There are multiple plans to choose from and all start with "FL Res". The annual price on the FL Res Platinum adds up to less then what I would be able to get for the 15% off as a non resident. All were listed as the monthly price which I believe is only offered to FL residents and there were plans (like the gold) only offered to FL.

It's just an app bug (#shockingdevelopment). Did you try the regular web site? That works.

Hitting my renewal window soon so I went and looked and it appears that mine is okay. Renew for $721 against the $849 regular price. I was curious though and wanted to see if I could find the break even point we always think about. I looked at 10 day PH passes because apparently that is the max the site will let you buy. (Maybe you can call for longer ones) That was where it got interesting. Book a Saturday to Saturday resort stay and buy a 10 day PH and the cost is $599. Extend your resort three days till Wednesday and the 10 day PH drops to $555. Stay two weeks and the cost of the 10 day PH drops to $483. Certainly not the kind of savings that incents you to stay more nights but interesting none the less. So I look at my benefit as being I get the difference between $599 and $721 for the week and then the value of the discounts and the Photo Pass plus you get another trip in the same year for virtually no ticket cost.

Obviously they are willing to discount the ticket price because they are collecting a lot of incremental dollars from the room and your food and beverage consumption on property but I just found the pricing interesting.

1. Book a Saturday to Saturday resort stay and buy a 10 day PH and the cost is $599.
2. Extend your resort three days till Wednesday and the 10 day PH drops to $555.
3. Stay two weeks and the cost of the 10 day PH drops to $483...
4. Obviously they are willing to discount the ticket price because they are collecting a lot of incremental dollars from the room and your food and beverage consumption on property but I just found the pricing interesting.

1. Why would you buy a 10-day ticket for a 7 to 8-day stay (Sat-Sat?)
2. & 3. & 4. Sorry, I'm completely lost.
Where are you getting multiple prices on a 10-day PH?
A current 10-day PH costs $553.80 w/tax.
A current 10-day PH PLUS costs $580.43 w/tax.

Last edited:
I'm sorry, not trying to confuse anyone, but
1. You probably would not, unless the last three nights you stayed offsite or with Aunt Jane, however if booking a resort reservation with ticket you have the option to buy a 10 day ticket.
2. If you change the number of hotel night reservations and request the price of a ten day PH the cost of the ticket changes. I have no idea why but it does.
3. The multiple prices come from deductiing the room only rate (which does not change with the number of ticket days you request) from the total price.
4. This may be the rack rate but as a part of a package reservation it changes.

Edit to add: I was looking at reservations at Allstar Music starting the first Saturday of December 2018 with the one week ending the following Saturday, the 10 day ending Wednesday and the two week extending to the third Saturday of the month. I also need to add that in about 30 plus trips to WDW we have always got our tickets as part of the package other than the first two trips we made staying offsite. Since then it was always a package and so when we converted to AP's the place I naturally looked to compare cost to cost was ticket prices on packages because we always stay on site. I never really looked directly at tickets alone but always through packages so that was where I naturally went to compare values.

Last edited:
I think the variance is more likely the difference in room rates as they fluctuate from weekday to weekend and from week to week. If you look at the "average rate per night" the first week in Dec its 126, vs the 2nd week in Dec its 144.

I'm sorry, not trying to confuse anyone, but
1. You probably would not, unless the last three nights you stayed offsite or with Aunt Jane, however if booking a resort reservation with ticket you have the option to buy a 10 day ticket.
2. If you change the number of hotel night reservations and request the price of a ten day PH the cost of the ticket changes. I have no idea why but it does.
3. The multiple prices come from deductiing the room only rate (which does not change with the number of ticket days you request) from the total price.
4. This may be the rack rate but as a part of a package reservation it changes.

Edit to add: I was looking at reservations at Allstar Music starting the first Saturday of December 2018 with the one week ending the following Saturday, the 10 day ending Wednesday and the two week extending to the third Saturday of the month. I also need to add that in about 30 plus trips to WDW we have always got our tickets as part of the package other than the first two trips we made staying offsite. Since then it was always a package and so when we converted to AP's the place I naturally looked to compare cost to cost was ticket prices on packages because we always stay on site. I never really looked directly at tickets alone but always through packages so that was where I naturally went to compare values.

I think the variance is more likely the difference in room rates as they fluctuate from weekday to weekend and from week to week. If you look at the "average rate per night" the first week in Dec its 126, vs the 2nd week in Dec its 144.

Actually I chose the reservation for 7 days, pushed the no ticket option and got the cost. Then I chose 10 day ticket with PH, and the room rate for the length of the stay did not change. However the total did change. That delta changed. I ran each reservation seperately at 7, 10, and 14 days with an without tickets. In every case the room rate did not change with or without tickets but the delta from total cost to room cost did. You only pay for rooms and tickets so if rooms did not change then the tickets had to.

Actually I chose the reservation for 7 days, pushed the no ticket option and got the cost. Then I chose 10 day ticket with PH, and the room rate for the length of the stay did not change. However the total did change. That delta changed. I ran each reservation seperately at 7, 10, and 14 days with an without tickets. In every case the room rate did not change with or without tickets but the delta from total cost to room cost did. You only pay for rooms and tickets so if rooms did not change then the tickets had to.

I believe your calculations may be mistaken.

I have priced numerous lengths of stays at various price-levels of resorts and my results
are that a 10-day PH, regardless of number of days booked at the resort, price out to be within a few cents of $555.20 (w/tax.)

Is it possible that there are glitches happening on the WDW site that are causing calculation errors?

I'm going to keep checking with other combinations of resorts and days (but keep using 10-day PH for tickets.)

My calculations using your dates:

Allstar Music starting the first Saturday (Dec. 1) of December 2018 with the one week ending the following Saturday (Dec. 8)
10-day PH ticket = $555.19

Allstar Music starting the first Saturday (Dec. 1) of December 2018 the 10 day ending Wednesday (Dec. 12)
10-day PH ticket = $555.19

Allstar Music starting the first Saturday (Dec. 1) of December 2018 and the two week extending to the third Saturday of the month (Dec. 15)
10-day PH ticket = $555.18

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!