AP shopping/dining discounts (and TIW)

DGsAtBLT

DIS Veteran
I searched for a dedicated sticky, but if it exists I must have missed it!

We leave in a couple days and will be first time AP/TIW. I’ve got a bookmarked list from WDW info for TIW, but I wanted to make sure I’ve got all our bases covered in terms of discounts. With the exception of most AK QS, there are no discounts at the park QS, correct? How does the shopping discount work, I notice it says select merchandise on their website but does it generally cover most things in the stores listed?

We know about the F&W magnets and coasters, anything else like that to grab? As Canadians I know they won’t ship us our AP bands and magnet, can we pick these up somewhere once activated?

Most merchandise stores will take an AP for a discount. You can save money by buying snacks/water/etc at the stores rather than in the park at the carts/QS places as in store you get the discount since they count as merchandise.

You should be able to see which places you can get a discount from either the Disney site or places like Disneyfoodblog.com or allears.net. They usually show what discounts can be used. I've never had TiW but the AP discount doesn't count for QS and I suspect it varies for the TiW. Just ask and they will let you know.

Just show your card and photo ID and you'll get the discount. Check with Guest services for the AP items. They might be able to get you something.

The merchandise discount usually excludes stuff that WDW doesn't set the prices on, or otherwise sell at a higher than usual markup. IE DVDs, gift cards, and things like golf clubs are usually excluded. Also, 3rd party stores are usually excluded (or many offer their own discounts). These include places like the stores in China & Japan. Other 3rd party stores such as Basin and Columbia offer their own discounts to APs. You can see the current list here -> https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/p...benefits-and-discounts/merchandise-discounts/ See the list for locations that offer the discount, and then the fine print at the bottom for a more detailed list of excluded items.

I thought the merchandise discount was for a whole store. I've never had a situation where I got a discount on one item but not another when I checked out.

I mean, if you wanted to buy the $37,000 Cinderella Castle with Swarovski crystals you may want to ask a cast member if the discount applies before you pay.

Somewhere someone here in “Disboards land” mentioned a website called “mouseperks.com”. It is amazing for the dining discounts for each type of discount and where they are taken. I pinned it onto my home screen on my phone for quick reference. Was extremely helpful fo me.

Yep, for android phone download mouseperks app. For apple, pin website to your homecreen to create icon. You can filter by location & it will tell you any discounts that apply, which type is accepted, what %, & if there's any restrictions such as time of day.

I've been burned, so I simply start EVERY transaction with "I have AP/TiW/Visa..." Then they tell me if they accept discounts or not. Don't pre-assume discounts aren't avail. since being wrong costs $$$$$$ & there are more QS options than just AK.

Make sure you carry AP & TiW (Visa) plus ID with you for checkout. (MB verification is usually not enough & is never sufficient to verify TiW).

Don't forget, if staying on site or Disney Spring area resort you can have all your in-park purchases delivered to your resort.

Enjoy your new discount options.

Happy planning!

Last edited:
I thought the merchandise discount was for a whole store. I've never had a situation where I got a discount on one item but not another when I checked out.

I have had CM's discuss if what I'm buying can have a discount applied so there are at least some exclusions.

I will say that I don't let discount programs dictate what I buy, where, or when. I just buy what I buy & check to see if I have any applicable discounts.

I mean, if you wanted to buy the $37,000 Cinderella Castle with Swarovski crystals you may want to ask a cast member if the discount applies before you pay.

As I mentioned, the exclusions are mostly 3rd party merchandise that may have set MSRP's by that manufacturer. Or it may be things that could be returned/resold elsewhere in the real world for the MSRP.

Discount is not valid on previous purchases or on purchases of ticket media, gift certificates, Disney Gift Cards, Park admission, Arcades, Disney Dollars, tobacco, alcohol, outdoor vending (e.g., in-Park balloon vendors, glow vendors), Add-a-Dollar (Wildlife Conservation Fund), postage stamps, rentals (e.g., strollers, ECV), personalization, Disney PhotoPass+, Disney PhotoPass® Online, Disney Store Online, framed Disney Dollars, Artist Sketch Program (original art), original or consignment art, newspapers/ periodicals, videos, DVDs, CDs, sundries, pantry/prepared foods, digital/video/disposable cameras, film, consumer electronics, Titleist® and Cobra® golf equipment, National branded fragrances, treatments and cosmetics, Lladró, Armani, Hummel, Swarovski® Crystal, Walt Disney Classics Collection, select collectible originals, select specialty items, handmade items, special orders, purchase-with-purchase offers, Bibbidi Bobbidi Boutique and The Pirates League packages

Clearance items normally don’t have the discount applied.

And OP, sadly, you can’t get your customized AP band anywhere in the parks. It can only be customized once you’ve activated your AP, and then mailed to a US address, and they won’t mail it to the resorts. You also won‘t get Mickey Monitor newsletters or a welcome AP magnet.

If you want an extra magicband, or if you’re staying offsite and need one, you can go to the ticket office in Liberty Square at MK and they’ll give you a generic plain-coloured one. (The AP one is exactly the same as the resort ones, it just has your name on the back, whereas the Liberty Square ones don’t.)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter