AP/TIW Discount with split checks???

The13thLetter

DIS Veteran
DW and I are APs but our family are not. On our upcoming trip I would like to use the AP/TIW Discount for the entire meal (for ones that are eligible obviously) but still split the check so each room pays for their own meal. If we have them split the bill will everyone still get to use my AP/TIW discount? Or do I have to pay the bill as the AP/TIW holder and then have them pay later.

Thanks!!

If you read what it says for TiW, the answer is no. It is very clear that the entire bill is supposed to be paid by the TiW card holder. Now some restaurants may not enforce that.
When we have gone with a group, I have paid for the meals and then we settle up after.

From the TiW site:
The Tables in Wonderland discount is good for up to 10 people including the member, as long as everyone is on the same check, and the Tables in Wonderland member is paying the bill.
We have had a TiW card for sevreal years and have enjoyed it a lot.

The information you seek is on the Disney TiW webpage.

NOTE: The Tables in Wonderland discount is good for up to 10 people including the member, as long as everyone is on the same check, and the Tables in Wonderland member is paying the bill.

The AP discount is only valid for the passholder and 3 guests and I don't believe you can split the check either b/c the AP must be the person paying the bill.

I would just ask your party to use Venmo so they can reimburse you for the cost of their portion of the meal.

We really didn't know about the Tables in Wonderland fine print regarding splitting a tab until this past year. On two trips we had friends traveling with us and agreed on a 60/40% split at meals. We informed the server at the start of the meal that we had a TiW card, then when the bill came, the server would take our TiW card. Since you can present two forms of payment, we'd say something like "$120 on this magic band and $80 on this one." Only once did a server said "Sorry, I can't split the bill using TiW." That was at BOMA. In that instance we assured the server it wasn't a problem. We paid the bill and settled up later.

Easy solution - Use the TAB app and make sure everyone who will be paying has Venmo. The Tab app allows you to take a photo of the receipt and divvy up the costs among people in the dining group, and it's integrated with venmo so that everyone can send money to the person who paid the final bill. A friend used this on her last big family vacation and RAVES about it.

Others just give me gift cards, that's they way I pay anyway and we keep a tab going over all the meals we have together

Yeah, I recently traveled with 6 other people and I am a TIW Cardholder. No dice for split checks. I was pretty much informed right off the bat at the beginning of each meal that if we wanted to have the discount, it would be only 1 check.

We've traveled with extended groups and TiW. The easiest way to deal with it is to charge it to the room of the TiW holder, then keep track of the meal costs and have the front desk apply payment for some of the folio to the other people's cards or moved to their own room folio.

Before we had APs and TiW, our friend's who had the AP and TiW discounts asked if we could split the bill but use the discount. I think only one said yes although I don't remember which one that was. Now that we have APs and TiW ourselves, we just each pay our own.

Use low tech since not everyone may have all the apps being discussed or even want them.
Use your TWI to pay the entire bill and have everyone reimburse you the discounted cost in whatever manner you prefer/they have.

Went to Citrico's, didn't even want to split the bill (BIL was treating) but server would not accept his CC. I had to pay and BIL wrote me a check. Crazy.

Went to Citrico's, didn't even want to split the bill (BIL was treating) but server would not accept his CC. I had to pay and BIL wrote me a check. Crazy.

It’s not crazy. It’s the terms you agree to when you purchase TIW. The TIW holder must pay the bill. It really is clearly spelled out. If that server was audited in any way, he would have to justify why he gave a discount to someone who wasn’t entitled to it. It doesn’t seem right to ask a server to break the rules.

It’s not crazy. It’s the terms you agree to when you purchase TIW. The TIW holder must pay the bill. It really is clearly spelled out. If that server was audited in any way, he would have to justify why he gave a discount to someone who wasn’t entitled to it. It doesn’t seem right to ask a server to break the rules.

Yep...the rules are very clear.

Yep...the rules are very clear.
First time I have encountered this and I have had TIW for about twenty years. I was a diner present at the table and did not ask to split a bill. A minor nuisance compared to the recent trend of not having Disney owned restaurants (or vendor owned) accept the card.

Last edited:
First time I have encountered this and I have had TIW for about twenty years. I was a diner present at the table and did not ask to split a bill. A minor nuisance compared to the recent trend of not having Disney owned restaurants (or vendor owned) accept the card.

Still been the rule as long as I can remember. That's why it's a benefit TO THE CARD HOLDER.

Be happy with the times it wasn't enforced in the past.

Still been the rule as long as I can remember. That's why it's a benefit TO THE CARD HOLDER.

Be happy with the times it wasn't enforced in the past.
Obviously understood regardless of the logic. Makes me so happy that I got a special "benefit" in the past. Calling it a "benefit" is interesting, you pay for the card, Disney also receives the "benefit" of my business as part of the program.

Think I went though a "discussion" on TIW with you regarding Geyser Point, let's just leave it that we don't see eye to eye on everything even though we are both Disney proponents.

Last edited:
Obviously understood regardless of the logic. Makes me so happy that I got a special "benefit" in the past. Calling it a "benefit" is interesting, you pay for the card, Disney also receives the "benefit" of my business as part of the program.

Other things you pay for, and receive benefits from:

Annual passes....DVC memberships...etc.

Why is that interesting?

Maybe these restaurants have had it with people breaking the TIW terms of use, so they choose to just not participate.

^This! And with people complicating something that should be simple! (Waiting on them to abolish RS with all of the cockamamie things people come up with for that!)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!