appetizer suggestions needed

josierac

DIS Veteran
Hello,
all this is the first time that I am posting on the receipe board.

I am hosting my first demonstraion party (Party Lite candles).

I need ideas on things that I can serve. I know that I will be doing a veggie and dip platter and a spinach dip platter.

Does anyone have a good receipe for punch out there?

Any suggestions on what I can serve (hot or cold) would be very much appreciated.

Thanks

Welcome to the recipe and scrapbooking board!! I also have a hard time coming up with ideas and find this board very helpful! How about just doing finger foods-no utensils needed! Fruit and cheese would be good, there is also a thread on this board with a crabmeat/creamcheese dip that is absolutely yummy-serve with tortilla chips or crackers. Grover in Winnipeg :D

Welcome to the Recipe/Scrapbook board!

Another good finger food are those rolled up tortilla sandwiches cut into small sections. They are easy to hold and not messy. There was a link about the various recipes for them. I've seen them served for the parent's to nibble on at children's birthday parties. Plus, they look pretty on a tray.

Here's the link: http://64.225.125.24/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=87682&highlight=tortilla

And here's the recipe for a dip I am eager to try -- just waiting for an occasion.

Garlic Almond & Peasant Bread Dip

INGREDIENTS:

2 1/2 ounces peasant bread, crusts removed
1/2 cup blanched, slivered almonds
8 tbsp. extra-virgin Greek olive oil
2 tbsp. red wine vinegar
1 large lemon, juice only
2 ounces potato, peeled, cooked and cooled
3/4 cup water
6 garlic cloves, peeled and passed through a garlic press
salt and ground black pepper

PREPARATION:

1. Soak bread in water for 15 minutes.

2. Squeeze lightly to remove about 1/2 of the water and reserve.

3. In a food processor, process almonds until finely ground.

4. Add bread, oil, vinegar, lemon, potato and 1/2 cup water and process until smooth.

5. Transfer to a serving bowl; add garlic and season with salt and pepper to taste.

6. If the dip is too thick, whisk in enough of the remaining water until smooth and creamy.

7. Serve at room temperature with olives and warm pita bread.

8. This dip can be made several hours or a day ahead of time, but should be kept at room temperature.

9. As the dip stands, it becomes much thicker and you may need to add a little more water to achieve "dipping" consistency.

I got that one here:
http://www.ivillage.com/food/recipefinder/display_recipe/0,6863,813,00.html

Punch recipe
I got this from a Taste of Home magazine a year otr two ago and it has become my favorite !
1 64 oz. bottle of cranapple juice
1 large can off pineapple juice ( I'm not sure of the ounces,but it is the same size can as juicy juice)
6 ounces of frozen lemonaide concentrate ( pink or regular work fine)

I usually double the recipe and use the whole can of lemonaide,it depends on how many people you will be having

Vickey:)

I know there are different variations of this but ever since I had this at a friend's candle party we make it all the time!

You need: a few cans of water chestnuts
a pound of bacon
a jar of sweet & sour sauce
toothpicks

Drain the water chestnuts
Cut the strips of bacon in thirds
Wrap a piece of bacon around each water chestnut and skewer with a toothpick

I then lay them on a piece of parchment paper (easy cleanup) on a baking pan
I think we toss them in the oven at maybe 350 or 400 degrees - until the bacon is cooked
Then dip them in the sweet and sour sauce to eat.

OH MY GOSH THEY ARE SO DELICIOUS! We never have enough!

Tracy

Thanks for the suggestions everyone. I will post on how it worked out at the end of the month.

One of my favorites is BLT dip.

1 lb. bacon fried crisp and crumbled.
4-5 plum tomatoes, seeded and chopped
3/4 cup mayonnaise
1/4 cup sour cream
1-2 tsp. chili sauce
salt and pepper
chopped lettuce (optonal)

Mix all ingredients until well blended. Add lettuce at the last minute (I usually omit it because it gets soggy quickly). Serve with bagel chips or triscuits. (you need to use a "hard" chip because it's so chunky).

Here's a good punch recipe.

1 or 2 bottles of ginger ale
1 can (large) pinapple juice
1 bottle of a red drink (it can be a soda, raspberry or a red juice)

The base is the ginger ale. so always use more ginger ale. Start with 1 bottle of ginger ale then about a 1/3 -1/2 can of pinapple juice & about 1/2 bottle of the red soda.

Drop scoops of sherbert on top!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter