Appetizers Worth Going Out of Your Way For

hertamaniac

DIS Veteran
Hi All!

I have followed the suggestions and taste palates for about 3 years on the team's feedback. As such, I have made specific reservations at some on-site properties to experience the eateries (with a fixation on appetizers). Here are my experiences:

I am local to WDW and can drive over/there everyday and know there are other establishments close-by that offer solid $/value experiences.

This video is very well done, but misses in a few areas:

The pork belly at Jiko is worthy of another evaluation. Yes, I did order an iteration of their mac-and-cheese (bobotie?), but was left a little underwhelmed considering a few days earlier I had an incredible steak at a seafood restaurant onsite (Flying Fish). Mind you, I order the Spanish charbroiled octopus, but after a few bites was feeling uninspired (truth be known....I find seafood virtually revolting). The manager at FF brought me a properly prepared Wagyu and was simply amazing; can you see repeat business? Moving on, I am torn between best pork belly appetizer between Jiko and Flying Fish.

Bacon and egg(s). Note, it is one egg, not two, and the suggestion there are multiple might be a misdirection. But the flavor profile is beyond words. We had it, at the bar, before the "official" opening at The Wave that evening at 5 PM. There is no argument from me, even if I was a pretentious eater, this is an astonishing meal all and of itself. How they calibrate that special egg poaching machine to 143.6 degrees (or whatever) is beyond me. If they sold this machine to the public, it should sell like hotcakes on HSN or QVC. Truly, this is a spectacular meal (insert coffee with or without liquor as desired).

Sanaa bread service is the best $/value/filling onsite. We have had to bring home the sauces and breads just to somehow encapsulate how good the food is. The only problem is, as a local, we can't lookout at giraffes and zebras in our backyard plains (thank you love bugs for the lanai views!).

This episode reaffirms what I have experienced and lived for years in Orlando; you don't need to be entree centric. You're best experiences can come from appetizer heavy, family sharing, meals.

ETA: If I broaden the term appetizer to sides, then Homecomin' steals the show. We ordered a 3 side collection, served in a dish made for 3 sides, being carrot souffle, collard greens and mac-n-cheese.

Last edited:
This bacon and eggs has been hide them so much it can only be disappointing now.

I actually struggle to think of anything that I enjoyed appetizer wise at Disney World and really couldn’t come up with anything for me Disney world excels edit snacks and themed quick service items and things that are memorable to me....

I guess sometimes when you live in New York City you truly do take for granted the great quality and food that we have.

The bread service at Sanaa is magical, especially if you go before sunset where you can see the animals right from your table. That cheese cart from Topolino's is on my must try list, for sure!

The cheese cart at Topolino is pretty great and quite a large quantity too - actually my only complaint is by the time they finish putting everything in your plate it all feels a bit cramped (could use a bigger plate)

The ricotta appetizer at Topolino's is really good too. I actually found the entrees there good but a bit overpriced and if/when we will go back it will be for cocktails and apps and dessert (and the view)

This bacon and eggs has been hide them so much it can only be disappointing now.

I actually struggle to think of anything that I enjoyed appetizer wise at Disney World and really couldn’t come up with anything for me Disney world excels edit snacks and themed quick service items and things that are memorable to me....

I guess sometimes when you live in New York City you truly do take for granted the great quality and food that we have.

I am the other way - lots of places we prefer the apps to the entrees and find them to be better value. I am in NYC area too and maybe it is the cost aspect but would rather pay for two apps that are marginally over priced than an entree that is way overpriced vs what I can get in NYC

I would also include lounge food here too - like the wagu beef slider at Brown Derby Lounge is my favorite burger on property and better value than any entree burger

Excuse my grammar before I was using Siri to type.

what specifically do you find thats a must have there appetizer wise outside of the one item? Snacks I can write a novel.

That's interesting about the lobster bisque at Chefs de France because one of my top appetizers is the lobster bisque at Coral Reef...:scratchin

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter