Apple iPhone battery replacement price knocked down

So now that this deal is in full effect, I've been to Apple Stores a few times, and several employees say they're basically swamped with requests for new batteries. Apparently they're severely backordered - especially the iPhone 6 and 6s models since that phone has been discontinued for some time.

I asked about my wife's phone, which has a cracked glass protective sheet. The display glass is fine. I was told that it's fine for a battery replacement as long as the underlying glass is intact. I think we've all seen cracked glass that somewhat holds in place. They need to remove the glass to get to the battery, and if it's cracked they can't put it back in place. "Tear downs" I've seen even use suction cups to remove the top of the case with the display. Putting it back together means pushing on the glass.

There are also some caveats. The $29 price without a failing battery diagnostic is apparently a one time deal. So they'll note the serial number and won't replace it again for $29 unless the newer battery manages to fail the diagnostic. So no getting a second $29 battery simply to have a new battery. One employee estimated that maybe 10% of his customers coming in have batteries that fail the diagnostic.

http://www.businessinsider.com/apple-stores-are-slammed-because-of-the-29-battery-replacement-2018-1

I went in to Apple on Monday to get a new battery. My phone is a 6, I've had it over 2 years, and can barely last past lunch time without having to be recharged. It passed the diagnostic test, but I opted for the new battery anyway. I'm getting annoyed with having to constantly charge it and figure if the $30 helps me to keep my phone just that little bit longer before dishing out hundreds for a whole new phone, I'll be happy. There is a 2-3 week wait for the actual battery though, so I will have to go back in once I get a call.

Just revisiting this old thread since I got a new battery for my iPhone 7 yesterday. I made an appointment, which was pretty easy compared to even as far back as last June. I checked in, told them that I didn't have any issue other than it was now showing 87% battery health with a fairly rapid decline in recent weeks. A simple diagnostic was run and they took my phone in. They told me it would be ready in less than an hour. While I was in the Apple Store, I noticed other people who came in requesting battery replacements without an appointment. They were told no immediate drop-ins, but that they could be seen 30-45 minutes later.

Also - I checked Apple's information, which is that at the end of the year this promotion ends and the price will $49 ($69 for iPhone X models).

https://support.apple.com/iphone/repair/battery-power
iPhone model In-warranty or with AppleCare+ Out of warranty
iPhone XS, iPhone XS Max, iPhone XR $0 $69
iPhone SE, iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus, iPhone 6s, iPhone 6s Plus, iPhone 7, iPhone 7 Plus, iPhone 8, iPhone 8 Plus, iPhone X $0 $29*
All other eligible models $0 $79

*Through December 31, 2018, the out-of-warranty battery service fee is $29 for all eligible iPhone 6 or later models. Battery service at $29 may be limited to one repair per iPhone. After December 31, 2018, the fee will change to $49 for all these products except iPhone X, which will change to $69.​

So now it's showing 100% battery health, and one tool I use even says the max capacity is slightly higher than the rated capacity.

This was a far cry from what happened earlier this year, which was that a customer could come in for the diagnostic, then get a message to return when a battery was available for that customer. There were a lot of people waiting as their suppliers were cranking out new batteries.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter