Apple Watch

TCB in FLA

DIS Veteran
Anyone use an Apple Watch during their runs? Santa surprised me with one -- it wasn't even on my oh-this-would-be-great-but-I'm-not-really-expecting-it list. Any hints? Able to do intervals or is there an app for that? Looking forward to being able to run w/o my phone for music. I don't think it will replace my Garmin 235 for the half or full since I haven't trained with the new watch and don't want it dying at mile 16 or something.

I do! I use Runkeeper. I believe there are apps that do intervals but I don’t use one. You shouldn’t have problems with it dying during a half or a full. If you are worried about that turn the heart rate off and that really saves the battery.

I switched from a 235 to an Apple Watch series 3. I’ve been using. The Nike run club app but it’s got stability issues. I’ve heard that there is an app that’s better than Runkeeper and the native running app, but I am not sure what it is.

So can you access your iTunes library through your watch without having the phone. I am trying to find a blue tooth MP3 player other than my phone as I don’t want to clog up the memory. Right now I use an old iPod Touch but it is really old an likely to die soon.

So can you access your iTunes library through your watch without having the phone. I am trying to find a blue tooth MP3 player other than my phone as I don’t want to clog up the memory. Right now I use an old iPod Touch but it is really old an likely to die soon.
Yes you can download a certain amount to your watch. You can also use Pandora, TuneIn, Apple Music, etc. through the watch.

I don't have an Apple Watch, but the interval timer I use has an Apple Watch app. It's called Intervals - Interval Timer. For simple intervals (i.e. run X time; walk X time) I find the base/free version to be enough. There are other bells and whistles depending on what you want to do.

I also use WalkJogRun for GPS tracking my runs and other workouts. There are settings for pace coaching, lap announcements, cadence, temperature, heart rate, etc. I bought it back in the day when it was ~$1, but I would say it's absolutely worth the $4.99 one-time cost.

Yes you can download a certain amount to your watch. You can also use Pandora, TuneIn, Apple Music, etc. through the watch.
While you can stream through your watch I've heard it can really drain the battery fast.

Any other devices where you aren’t phone dependent that will stream blue tooth? Prefers that will use iTunes.

Any other devices where you aren’t phone dependent that will stream blue tooth? Prefers that will use iTunes.
Try an iPod nano. I'm not sure they sell them anymore but try EBay. I use my son's old one that's at least 5-6 yrs old and it works great with my BT headphones. And weighs next to nothing, which is an added bonus.

You can definitely use the Apple Watch for training for a marathon...in fact it has enough battery life for a full marathon! You have to use the stock Workout app vs using a downloaded app (like Strava, Runkeeper, or Nike) but I like the stock app myself. If you utilize Strava or Runkeeper, you can actually export the data and map from the stock app to your running app of choice using the iPhone app called HealthFit (HealthFit by Stephane Lizeray https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/healthfit/id1202650514?mt=8) or RunGap (RunGap - Workout Data Manager by CTRL-N https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/rungap-workout-data-manager/id534460198?mt=8)

I follow a blog called Apple Watch Triathalete who has a great tutorial on running with an Apple Watch (https://theapplewatchtriathlete.com...u-need-to-know-about-running-with-apple-watch). Anyways, enjoy using the new watch!

I wear both My apple watch and Garmin whilst running..I use the Apple app...I prefer to look at my apple watch throughout the run ...but like the Garmin app to see details etc. I have used my Watch for 2 marathons no problem with it

I’ve been thinking about getting a Garmin but I’m not sure I can justify the cost at this point. What benefits do you get from the Garmin that you might not get on the Apple Watch? Has it been beneficial in your training? Thanks!

I’ve been thinking about getting a Garmin but I’m not sure I can justify the cost at this point. What benefits do you get from the Garmin that you might not get on the Apple Watch? Has it been beneficial in your training? Thanks!
Garmins are built for running. You will get a lot more in depth statistics, such as stride length, more accurate heart rate, more accurate pace, GPS etc. Garmins will also have much better battery life. However, they are not smartwatches. An Apple Watch is a smartwatch first, fitness tracker second.

Honestly, if you are looking for a good balance between something that will accurately measure your runs, but also act as a great smartwatch when you're not running, I would honestly go with the Fitbit Ionic. I have had one for a few months and I like it a lot.

If you google dc rainmaker ionic, apple watch or vivoactive 3 review, he does a really good job comparing all three since they fall into a pretty similar bucket. I've had two garmins (from the vivoactive line) and I loved both. I got talked into giving the Ionic a try and I've had it for about 2 weeks now. It's nice and easy to use but I'm considering going back to Garmin. I'm a stats guy and even though the Garmin app isn't as pretty, I like the data a lot more.

I wear both My apple watch and Garmin whilst running..I use the Apple app...I prefer to look at my apple watch throughout the run ...but like the Garmin app to see details etc. I have used my Watch for 2 marathons no problem with it
I find the Garmin interface better..I can use the app to look at my pace and total miles for the year easily. The apple watch seems to loose everything if you change phone or restore. I could probably use Strava or nike run club tho on my apple watch. I find the pace and distance pretty similar with both. You dont really need both its just personal preference.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!