Apple Watch?

Searc

DIS Veteran
Do you have one? Do you like it? If you don't like it, what are the things you don't like? I am considering getting one since I don't have access to my phone at work.

I am a long time iPhone/ipad user, but I'm a little concerned about learning how to use another new gadget. :laughing: It would be strictly for reading texts. I don't even know if you can reply to a text on the watch. lol

I tried one for a while, as an upgrade from the Fitbit I wear. I didn't like it. It was not that much bigger then the Fitbit I wear but was immensely warmer. My wrist was always sweating. Maybe if I had tried it for more then a week I would have got used to it but it did not feel that way.

If you are not allowed to have access to your phone at work, will you be allowed to have a cellular Apple watch?
https://www.techradar.com/news/wearables/can-the-apple-watch-work-without-an-iphone-1288140

If your phone is not nearby(30 feet or so away) you will need the cellular Apple watch and an associated cellular plan for the watch to be able to read and send texts, make phone calls, use Siri, or stream music.

If you don't have a cellular Apple watch and your phone is too far away the watch will not be extremely useful.

Do you have one? Do you like it? If you don't like it, what are the things you don't like? I am considering getting one since I don't have access to my phone at work.

I am a long time iPhone/ipad user, but I'm a little concerned about learning how to use another new gadget. :laughing: It would be strictly for reading texts. I don't even know if you can reply to a text on the watch. lol

I have one and I love it. The Fitbit was my gateway drug into the Apple Watch world. :D A co-worker showed me his watch and the things it can do and I was hooked. I've had a Series 2 since 2016. DW didn't think she'd want one but she saw how I use mine and decided she wanted one, too, and she's had hers since 2017.

--Can make/receive phone calls
--Can load playlists/podcasts to the watch and listen with Bluetooth earphones so I don't have to have my phone with me when working out/doing chores
--Lots of apps--the ones I use most often are text, calendar, timer, alarm, weather, Run Keeper (which you can use via built-in GPS, don't have to have your phone on you)

Dislikes:
--It can be slow at times for apps to load--I wish it had a faster processor (maybe that's not an issue with the current series)
--It's not bulky, but I wish it were thinner.

I've seen a couple of recent deals, so you might be able to get something at a good price.

I have had an iwatch since 2016 and like it. But I will be honest, I really wanted a Garmen watch for running and this is what my husband got me instead. Tracking for running isn't always as nice as I'd like but that's not its sole purpose. Plus I think it depends on whether you are using the built in fitness tracker app vs a third party app.

I do receive text messages as well as Google Hangout messages which I enjoy, the downside is that your response is limited to a few generic responses. Now it may be possible that you can do more with it, and I'm sure my 14yo knows all the work arounds, but I do not. It is nice to receive the messages while I'm at work as my phone does not always have the best service (I'm in the basement), but somehow my watch does.

Battery life does kind of suck, especially when you can't easily recharge while camping. So that frustrates me.

I don't use many of the apps on it, music start/stop/pause while running, run tracking, weather alerts...

I have one and I love it. The Fitbit was my gateway drug into the Apple Watch world. :D A co-worker showed me his watch and the things it can do and I was hooked. I've had a Series 2 since 2016. DW didn't think she'd want one but she saw how I use mine and decided she wanted one, too, and she's had hers since 2017.

--Can make/receive phone calls
--Can load playlists/podcasts to the watch and listen with Bluetooth earphones so I don't have to have my phone with me when working out/doing chores
--Lots of apps--the ones I use most often are text, calendar, timer, alarm, weather, Run Keeper (which you can use via built-in GPS, don't have to have your phone on you)

Dislikes:
--It can be slow at times for apps to load--I wish it had a faster processor (maybe that's not an issue with the current series)
--It's not bulky, but I wish it were thinner.

I've seen a couple of recent deals, so you might be able to get something at a good price.
My DS wants to get me one for Mother's Day, but I am balking at the price for a gift. Do you only use yours with wifi?

My DS wants to get me one for Mother's Day, but I am balking at the price for a gift. Do you only use yours with wifi?

I would have never bought it for myself due to cost. I inherited an old one of my husbands and passed it down to my daughter when I got a new one for Christmas. I don't think that mine is the wifi enabled one. At least the first one I got was't.

If someone does use it with cellular, how much is it to add to your Verizon data plan? Yes, I will be looking myself in a second. ;)

From what I've been able to find, it is $10 a month to add an Apple Watch to your Verizon account if you use the same number as your phone (which I would be). I'm going to Best Buy today to ask lots of questions. :)

Yes, mine is wifi only. I wouldn't want one with LTE because that requires an extra monthly payment, and I can do everything I want through wifi and the built in GPS (which doesn't require an extra payment).

I heard that in order to use it for music, for example while out running and wanting to listen to music, you had to still have your phone near you. Is this true?

If it functions like an iPod, I might be more interested.

My DH and kids bought me an Apple Watch for Christmas. I dumped my FitBit(s) within an hour of putting it on.:laughing: LOVE it, would never go back.

I tried one for a while, as an upgrade from the Fitbit I wear. I didn't like it. It was not that much bigger then the Fitbit I wear but was immensely warmer. My wrist was always sweating. Maybe if I had tried it for more then a week I would have got used to it but it did not feel that way.

If you are not allowed to have access to your phone at work, will you be allowed to have a cellular Apple watch?
https://www.techradar.com/news/wearables/can-the-apple-watch-work-without-an-iphone-1288140

If your phone is not nearby(30 feet or so away) you will need the cellular Apple watch and an associated cellular plan for the watch to be able to read and send texts, make phone calls, use Siri, or stream music.

If you don't have a cellular Apple watch and your phone is too far away the watch will not be extremely useful.
If you sign into a trusted network with your phone and connect your watch you can use the watch on that network without your phone after that. If you have OS5 you can directly from the watch.
https://9to5mac.com/2018/06/05/watchos-5-how-to-manually-connect-to-wi-fi/

I have had an iwatch since 2016 and like it. But I will be honest, I really wanted a Garmen watch for running and this is what my husband got me instead. Tracking for running isn't always as nice as I'd like but that's not its sole purpose. Plus I think it depends on whether you are using the built in fitness tracker app vs a third party app.

I do receive text messages as well as Google Hangout messages which I enjoy, the downside is that your response is limited to a few generic responses. Now it may be possible that you can do more with it, and I'm sure my 14yo knows all the work arounds, but I do not. It is nice to receive the messages while I'm at work as my phone does not always have the best service (I'm in the basement), but somehow my watch does.

Battery life does kind of suck, especially when you can't easily recharge while camping. So that frustrates me.

I don't use many of the apps on it, music start/stop/pause while running, run tracking, weather alerts...
You can speak your replies (which is what I do most often) and you can also create custom replies in the Watch app on your phone.

I heard that in order to use it for music, for example while out running and wanting to listen to music, you had to still have your phone near you. Is this true?

If it functions like an iPod, I might be more interested.
No, you can now download music to the watch via the phone. Mine does it automatically at night while I have it on the charger. You can also use Bluetooth headphones with it.
https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204691

From what I've been able to find, it is $10 a month to add an Apple Watch to your Verizon account if you use the same number as your phone (which I would be). I'm going to Best Buy today to ask lots of questions. :)
My DD pays for data on her LTE AW3 and NEVER uses it. She may as well be tossing a ten dollar bill out the window every month. If you are going to have your phone with you most of the time and you can connect it to WiFi at work you may not need LTE. Usually the people who get the Cellular version are ones that want to be completely free of their phone for long periods of time. If you want to be free of your phone when out and about while still being able to dial 911 that’s a good reason to get it. My DH does not want to tie his devices to work WiFi (his history would be open to them) so LTE would be what he would get.

If it was acceptable, I'd marry mine. I absolutely love it. I work in a HUGE government building and now when walking the block or so to go to the bathroom, I don't have to bring my phone with me, or when I go to lunch, I use it to pay with apple pay, scan the Bank of America debit card from the wallet at the ATM - so I rarely even carry my wallet all day. I love the voice texting, its very responsive.

Can't connect to wifi at work, because its that state, and that's a no no...well we don't even have it, so its not even an option. lol

I noticed at my snowbird mom's condo in SoFlo, alot of the old folks have them now....I asked a lady in the pool, how she liked her watch - she said her kids got it for her, so in case she falls or needs assistance, she can call them or 911 without having to worry about finding her phone. She was reluctant at first, and now she loves it.

I love the different faces, especially the customized photo one. I have 5 pics that rotate as my watch face - the kid's school logos, 1 pic of each kid and one of the DH and I.

DH got his last night, he got the Nike one - he keeps calling me asking me questions on how to use it.....I should have bought one for my mom too, this way I could have held a start up seminar for them.

If it was acceptable, I'd marry mine. I absolutely love it. I work in a HUGE government building and now when walking the block or so to go to the bathroom, I don't have to bring my phone with me, or when I go to lunch, I use it to pay with apple pay, scan the Bank of America debit card from the wallet at the ATM - so I rarely even carry my wallet all day. I love the voice texting, its very responsive.

Can't connect to wifi at work, because its that state, and that's a no no...well we don't even have it, so its not even an option. lol

I noticed at my snowbird mom's condo in SoFlo, alot of the old folks have them now....I asked a lady in the pool, how she liked her watch - she said her kids got it for her, so in case she falls or needs assistance, she can call them or 911 without having to worry about finding her phone. She was reluctant at first, and now she loves it.

I love the different faces, especially the customized photo one. I have 5 pics that rotate as my watch face - the kid's school logos, 1 pic of each kid and one of the DH and I.

DH got his last night, he got the Nike one - he keeps calling me asking me questions on how to use it.....I should have bought one for my mom too, this way I could have held a start up seminar for them.
Oh yeah, Apple Pay, love it. Wish it was more widespread but it’s getting there. The other day I used it at the gas pump. I’ve noticed a lot of smaller businesses seem to prefer it. If Smiths and Walmart accepted it I’d never have to carry my bag.

Apple Watches are quite popular with the older crowd. As you said, usually it’s their kids who buy it but then they end up loving them. I think it gives them a sense of freedom and security.

I’m a total geek with the watch faces and bands. I have a bunch of holiday and Disney themed setups.

And speaking of bands, they’re so easy to keep clean and looking nice. My FitBit bands always looked dingy/grungy no matter how much I scrubbed them.

If you can’t tell OP I’m a big fan of my AW. :rotfl:

Oh yeah, Apple Pay, love it. Wish it was more widespread but it’s getting there. The other day I used it at the gas pump. I’ve noticed a lot of smaller businesses seem to prefer it. If Smiths and Walmart accepted it I’d never have to carry my bag.

Apple Watches are quite popular with the older crowd. As you said, usually it’s their kids who buy it but then they end up loving them. I think it gives them a sense of freedom and security.

I’m a total geek with the watch faces and bands. I have a bunch of holiday and Disney themed setups.

And speaking of bands, they’re so easy to keep clean and looking nice. My FitBit bands always looked dingy/grungy no matter how much I scrubbed them.

Can you explain more about the different faces and bands?

Oh, I forgot Apple Pay! I love it--unfortunately, a lot of the places I use it most often don't do Apple Pay. But the ones that do--it's really nice to just pay with your watch.

And the Wallet app also allows you to put your plane boarding passes on it. Bring it up on your watch, they scan it and off you go.

I wish there was a way to put FP+ in the Wallet app--then you can just scan in with your watch instead of a MagicBand/ticket.

Don't even get me started with the bands........I get one a week from amazon, its becoming an obsession. LOL

You don't have to bring your bag to Walmart - use your phone, he Walmart app, and Walmart pay, and as a bonus, your receipt goes right to savings catcher.

Can you explain more about the different faces and bands?
There are faces to choose from in the Watch app that have “complications” so you can put your most used stuff on the face if you want. You can also make your own with photos. I usually just google themed wall papers. The ones you do yourself have less complications but I find I don’t use a whole lot of them anyway. Usually just date and activity are fine for me. The cool thing is they’re easy to switch back and forth so if I need a face with more (say at the gym) I just slide it into place and then switch back when I’m done.

Apple Watch bands can be pricey but I’ve found that with diligent eBay searches I can find them for less than half the price. It’s become kind of a hobby for me. I can match just about anything I wear now.

Something I don’t think has been mentioned is Maps on the AW. If you have a route going the Watch will tap your wrist to tell you when to turn. I personally prefer CarPlay but my DD loves using Maps on the AW.

Don't even get me started with the bands........I get one a week from amazon, its becoming an obsession. LOL

You don't have to bring your bag to Walmart - use your phone, he Walmart app, and Walmart pay, and as a bonus, your receipt goes right to savings catcher.

Yeah, I’m a little obsessed myself. My family just rolls their eyes at me, lol.

Eh, I’m not a fan of the barcode scan to pay thing. That system is why some of the bigger places are holdouts on mobile pay in general.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter