Apple Watch?

Yeah, I’m a little obsessed myself. My family just rolls their eyes at me, lol.

Eh, I’m not a fan of the barcode scan to pay thing. That system is why some of the bigger places are holdouts on mobile pay in general.

Its not a barcode scan thing - I get rung up just like everyone else - I just tap my phone to pay, but the Walmart app has to be open.

Also, with maps and the AW - you don't have to even use maps from the watch, set up directions from your phone on google maps, and the directions are magically transported to your wrist, with a pulsing vibration when it time to make a turn.

Its not a barcode scan thing - I get rung up just like everyone else - I just tap my phone to pay, but the Walmart app has to be open.

Also, with maps and the AW - you don't have to even use maps from the watch, set up directions from your phone on google maps, and the directions are magically transported to your wrist, with a pulsing vibration when it time to make a turn.
But ~ how do you know which way to turn? That is definitely not a feature I would use. I love my Apple Car Play.

Huh, they must have updated it. When I read about it a barcode was generated and scanned.

But ~ how do you know which way to turn? That is definitely not a feature I would use. I love my Apple Car Play.

you look at your wrist and there;s an arrow telling you which way to turn, it gives you plenty of time to move lanes

well you open the app at the register, hit walmart pay, and then your camera opens and you scan the card reader machine. But other than that....no scanning required.

Here you go:
https://support.apple.com/guide/watch/get-directions-apdea7480950/watchos

I didn’t realize I had it set up and one day I was in an area I hadn’t been in years, tons of construction and Maps (Google wasn’t either) wasn’t up to date on the parking garage I was trying to find. The watch kept dinging and tapping me and Siri kept telling me to make a U-turn through CarPlay. It made me a basket case. I could pause CarPlay but couldn’t take my eyes off the road to silence the watch. So now I only have mine set for walking directions.

I was going to get an Apple watch for Christmas, and when I went to Best Buy to look at them with DH, the clerk talked me into the Fitbit watch instead. I don't really remember why. I absolutely love it, but I don't know whether or not I would have liked the Apple watch just as much or better.

well you open the app at the register, hit walmart pay, and then your camera opens and you scan the card reader machine. But other than that....no scanning required.
I meant the map app. I'm not a Walmart shopper. :)

I was going to get an Apple watch for Christmas, and when I went to Best Buy to look at them with DH, the clerk talked me into the Fitbit watch instead. I don't really remember why. I absolutely love it, but I don't know whether or not I would have liked the Apple watch just as much or better.
I used FitBits for years and loved them. I think it depends on what features you’ll find useful. I personally saw no need for an Apple Watch for quite some time. Then last year we were in Disneyland and I had my FitBit set up to receive texts when we split up with the kids. Problem was you don’t always get the full message on FB, you only get it once and you can’t respond so I’d have to stop and pull my phone out of my bag anyway. That’s when I started thinking about getting an Apple Watch. For me it’s become a passive extension of my phone. In fact, I don’t know where my phone is half the time because I rarely pick it up at home anymore.

Etsy has some gorgeous watch bands but if you want a nice selection of affordable Apple Watch bands check out Amazon and Zulily. Zulily is hit or miss but I’ve seen some good deals there.

Got mine for Christmas, my husband and kids thought I needed...lol I don’t always hear the phone ding or vibrate in my purse. Never miss a message or text now.

I like that it counts my steps and heart beat without carrying my phone. When I get home it transfers it to my phone.

I have Minnie or Mickey as my watch face if tapped it speaks in their voice ...good morning, good Evening...the kids love this ,tells the time too. Have to remember to turn the sound off in church so I don’t accidentally hit it ...lol

Last edited:
I have a Gen 1... I really like it. I use it to read text messages, glance at the weather, and of course see the time. I also use it as a fitness tracker. It is handy to have to read text messages when you really aren't supposed to have your phone out. It's right about adding "complications", I keep like the weather and the date on mine and have custom background photos. Actually I am glad I like the photo album I am using now because I don't remember how to change it.

Gotta be careful when you use the "Mickey" face... I once accidentally tapped it in church when all was quiet. Mickey Mouse stated the time loud and clear. :rotfl2: I don't guess I really NEED an Apple Watch, but after having one for a while, I don't know how I would do without it.

I picked out a Series 3 GPS in Silver with a white band and 42 mm face. I wanted pink but they didn't have any. I gravitated right to the stainless steel with white band but it was $850!!! :eek::eek::faint: Yikes.

I picked out an extra heather gray band.

Now I'll have to figure out how to use it once I get it. :goodvibes

There are faces to choose from in the Watch app that have “complications” so you can put your most used stuff on the face if you want. You can also make your own with photos. I usually just google themed wall papers. The ones you do yourself have less complications but I find I don’t use a whole lot of them anyway. Usually just date and activity are fine for me. The cool thing is they’re easy to switch back and forth so if I need a face with more (say at the gym) I just slide it into place and then switch back when I’m done.

Apple Watch bands can be pricey but I’ve found that with diligent eBay searches I can find them for less than half the price. It’s become kind of a hobby for me. I can match just about anything I wear now.

Something I don’t think has been mentioned is Maps on the AW. If you have a route going the Watch will tap your wrist to tell you when to turn. I personally prefer CarPlay but my DD loves using Maps on the AW.
I have a series 3 Apple Watch and love it. I had different versions of Fitbits for a long time and didn’t think I wanted an Apple Watch. I got it for an anniversary present and now I can’t do without it.
I couldn’t decide which face to have, so I have 6.
The weather and news faces have that plus the time. I think you can have up to 4 complications on each face.
Some I have on different faces are activity (for logging exercise), battery, messages, date, relaxation app.
you look at your wrist and there;s an arrow telling you which way to turn, it gives you plenty of time to move lanes
I like the routing ability. It vibrates before you need to turn. Glancing down, you can see which way to turn. The arrow is pretty big. Bedsides that, your phone should have announced which way before the Watch vibrates.

I picked out a Series 3 GPS in Silver with a white band and 42 mm face. I wanted pink but they didn't have any. I gravitated right to the stainless steel with white band but it was $850!!! :eek::eek::faint: Yikes.

I picked out an extra heather gray band.

Now I'll have to figure out how to use it once I get it. :goodvibes
$850?! Where did you buy it? It’s on sale at Best Buy for $549. Or is that with the extra band, Apple Care and taxes?

eta: Or did I misunderstand and you skipped the Stainless LTE and got the Silver Aluminum? Even so, the Stainless Series 4 LTE is $750 on sale for $699

You will love it. If you need any help, let us know. FYI you can get the Pink Sand Band on eBay for around $25.

Last edited:
I have had an iwatch since 2016 and like it. But I will be honest, I really wanted a Garmen watch for running and this is what my husband got me instead. Tracking for running isn't always as nice as I'd like but that's not its sole purpose. Plus I think it depends on whether you are using the built in fitness tracker app vs a third party app.

I do receive text messages as well as Google Hangout messages which I enjoy, the downside is that your response is limited to a few generic responses. Now it may be possible that you can do more with it, and I'm sure my 14yo knows all the work arounds, but I do not.
It is nice to receive the messages while I'm at work as my phone does not always have the best service (I'm in the basement), but somehow my watch does.

Battery life does kind of suck, especially when you can't easily recharge while camping. So that frustrates me.

I don't use many of the apps on it, music start/stop/pause while running, run tracking, weather alerts...
I don’t know what is available on earlier version, but I have Apple Watch 3 and can do a lot to reply.
There are some preprogrammed responses, but you can program more on your phone to cross over to the Watch.
You can also dictate and it will write the message as you record it (works pretty well).
You can also use your finger to write on the screen. It’s surprisingly responsive.
If the message include an image, that will show up too - tiny, but very clear and detailed.

You can also go back to earlier messages
My DH and kids bought me an Apple Watch for Christmas. I dumped my FitBit(s) within an hour of putting it on.:laughing: LOVE it, would never go back.

If you sign into a trusted network with your phone and connect your watch you can use the watch on that network without your phone after that. If you have OS5 you can directly from the watch.
https://9to5mac.com/2018/06/05/watchos-5-how-to-manually-connect-to-wi-fi/

You can speak your replies (which is what I do most often) and you can also create custom replies in the Watch app on your phone.
I have the WiFi version and signed into the guest WiFi at work. Then I can leave my phone locked in my office and can still receive messages and phone calls on my watch as I roam around.

Once you have signed into a trusted network, it will remember and sign in again. Your phone And Watch can even be on different trusted networks. I forgot my phone at work one day. When I got home, my watch signed in to our home WiFi and I still got phone calls and messages from my phone, which was signed into WiFi at work.

$850?! Where did you buy it? It’s on sale at Best Buy for $549. Or is that with the extra band, Apple Care and taxes?

eta: Or did I misunderstand and you skipped the Stainless LTE and got the Silver Aluminum? Even so, the Stainless Series 4 LTE is $750 on sale for $699

You will love it. If you need any help, let us know. FYI you can get the Pink Sand Band on eBay for around $25.
I skipped stainless.

It made me anxious. I didn't like getting SO many notifications. I turned off a lot of them and really used it just for texts and phone calls.

I don't wear it anymore except for at night for an alarm so I don't wake hubby when I get up at 5:30 (I teach HS).

It made me anxious. I didn't like getting SO many notifications. I turned off a lot of them and really used it just for texts and phone calls.

I don't wear it anymore except for at night for an alarm so I don't wake hubby when I get up at 5:30 (I teach HS).
I have all notifications turned off on my phone except for texts, calendar and phone calls (obviously). I expect I'll do the same with the watch and have it on silent all the time.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter