Applesauce instead of cooking oil.

Boots

<font color=green>Smiling at you!!!</font><br><fon
I know that in certain recipes one can substitute applesauce for cooking oil. Does anyone know what the exchange is? I think you can do this in both cookies and cakes. What else? Thanks in advance.

Hi Boots

A friend gave me some Amish Frienship bread starter - the kind that has you bake bread every 10 days. The recipe calls for a whole cup of oil when you bake the bread. I have been using 1/2 cup oil and 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce and it turns out fine. I have tried this with some other quick bread and cake recipes and have replaced about 1/3 of the oil with applesauce.

I bet Margie J can give you more specifics.

Wiht cake mixes you can use an equal amount of apple sauce instead of oil. With cookies it will change the texture a lot I believe, making them more cake like. I just make a pineapple upside down cake last week and use apple sauce instead of oil and no one could tell the difference.

I've done this with brownies and couldn't taste the difference. They came out great.

I second that applesauce instead of oil works great!! I used it in a vanilla cake mix once and no one could tell. Who discovered that exchange, I wonder? I wonder what else they tried before they realized that applesauce worked... ?? :)

It's an even exchange, and saves a lot of calories from fat... :) Yuuuum!

I bet Margie J can give you more specifics.

Looks like you've already got some pretty good answers so far. :)

I have used applesauce 1:1 instead of oil in brownies and they do taste wonderful. You don't miss the oil at all. Another thing people use in chocolate cakes or brownies is pureed prunes (baby food prunes). There is (or was) a product on the market that's an oil substitute, similar to the pureed prunes. I think it's called Lighter Bake, or something like that.

A friend once told me that her grandmother said that during the depression, they used to substitute applesauce for the milk and eggs. They were very limited in butter eggs and milk, so they got a bit creative. Of course lard was the butter substitute.

The unsweetened applesauce worked great today. I made some cupcakes for the grandkids, and no difference in taste. Maybe the texture was just a bit different. They were here to color eggs and loved the cupcakes. They couldn't tell the difference.:)

I always use applesauce instead of oil in muffins and pancakes. I do a 1:1 substitution.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter