Applying OTU points to an existing reservation?

Beachmom0317

DIS Veteran
We have a current reservation for this December using some of our 2019 points. When we get to the 7 mo. mark can I buy the 24 OTU points and apply them to my current reservation? I’d love to bank some of my 2019 points for a big 2020 trip we have planned. I just don’t know if I can bank the 2019 points that would be replaced with the OTU points. My banking deadline is in November. Hope I make sense

I don't think you can defeat the home resort window priority like that.

You would only be able to use OTU pts if there were additional availability (not counting the room you currently have booked)...and this December especially, that is unlikely to be the case.

If there were additional availability, you could book with OTU pts and bank the current UY pts which you freed up, so long as you banked them within your banking window.

I don't think you can defeat the home resort window priority like that.

You would only be able to use OTU pts if there were additional availability (not counting the room you currently have booked)...and this December especially, that is unlikely to be the case.

If there were additional availability, you could book with OTU pts and bank the current UY pts which you freed up, so long as you banked them within your banking window.
We have a studio booked so there is definitely not availability lol

You can't rebook a home priority reservation at 7 months to use other points unless it is still available. I believe you can waitlist and have the original reservation replaced or you can stalk and modify the original reservation if something pops up.

Also technically you can’t buy OTU points to replace those in a reservation. They are technically for new bookings only. I suspect if you bought them as part of booking another room which was later cancelled they would reallocate for any booking made at 7 months or less as a courtesy. They should not allow you to replace any points for a home resort reservation as they are only supposed to be avail for new reservations made at 7 months or less.

One thing is what the rules says is allowed another thing is what the CM will do for you.

Last year I had some points transferred in from BCV, I made a reservation and was stuck with 5 points which I couldn’t use. While talking to members services in another matter the CM offered to reallocate the points used for my BLT reservation for this December using the 5 leftover points from BCV. That shouldn’t have been possible but the CM did it any way.

As per the rules it’s not allowed so isn’t banking past the banking window or unborrowing points but CM’s do exceptions all the time.

I would give MS a call and see where that takes me. Maybe you need to call multiple times before you get the help you need.

One thing is what the rules says is allowed another thing is what the CM will do for you.

Last year I had some points transferred in from BCV, I made a reservation and was stuck with 5 points which I couldn’t use. While talking to members services in another matter the CM offered to reallocate the points used for my BLT reservation for this December using the 5 leftover points from BCV. That shouldn’t have been possible but the CM did it any way.

As per the rules it’s not allowed so isn’t banking past the banking window or unborrowing points but CM’s do exceptions all the time.

I would give MS a call and see where that takes me. Maybe you need to call multiple times before you get the help you need.
While I agree that sometimes member services makes exceptions for the rules to help members out of a bind I do find it amusing that another member would encourage someone to keep calling “multiple times” in order to try to find a cast member who will disregard the rules lol.

While I agree that sometimes member services makes exceptions for the rules to help members out of a bind I do find it amusing that another member would encourage someone to keep calling “multiple times” in order to try to find a cast member who will disregard the rules lol.

Sometimes CM’s give you an one time exception to help you out. As with all other exceptions it’s about finding the one who does.

Thanks for the advice everyone! So to be clear we currently have a reservation 12/4-12/7 in a CCV studio using our 2019 Points. Doesn’t sound like I can apply OTU points to that reservation since a studio isn’t currently available for a “new booking” with the OTU points. If I need extra points for our 2020 reservation I’ll just have to go about it a different way!

Sometimes CM’s give you an one time exception to help you out. As with all other exceptions it’s about finding the one who does.

They have gotten much more strict about point exceptions like that since a year ago. I haven't even tried and have gotten lectures about doing it. Love lectures like that when you haven't even done anything.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter