Appropriate Age for Southwest Splendors

warcholmom

Earning My Ears
My parents and I have been discussing taking our family on a Southwest trip next summer. I have three kids- 4, 7, 9 and came across the Disney Southwest Splendors trip. The guidelines say that 6+ is the appropriate age. My daughter would be almost 5 or just 5 when we took the trip. For those of you who have taken this trip, do you think that we/ she would not enjoy the trip becuase of her age? Should we wait another year or would we be fine taking her on this trip? What age were the kids on your tour??
:goodvibes
Thanks, in advance, for your advice!!

We haven't done SWS yet - going in June 09, but did do the Peru trip on which the youngest child was 6. So here's my 2cents fwiw:

It really depends on your kid. There is a lot of walking on these trips, and you are on the go all day for days in a row. If your youngest is used to keeping up with her older sibs, doesn't need a rest time midday, and is comfortable eating when and what the older folks are eating, then she will probably do fine.

The 6yo on our trip was a trouper, and had already traveled all over the world. She never whined or complained, and kept up with the group very well. One thing that helped, though, was that she had 3 teenage siblings. By midday, one of them was pretty much constantly carrying her. They also worked very hard at keeping her distracted and entertained during any times of waiting, on the bus, etc. I think if the parents had had to do all the work themselves that the teenagers shouldered, it would not have been as relaxing a trip for them. I also think if the teenagers had not done all that work, some of the rest of us might have ended up frustrated with such young child on the trip.

Some of the age rec's are due to the activites that have age and/or weight requirements. For example, the rafting. If your 5yo is tiny, you may want to check with Disney about the restrictions on this trip.

One other thought: the next youngest on our trip was our dd, 10 at the time. So the 6yo did not have an opportunity to make any friends, although everyone was nice to her. It may be worth asking the age range of the kids booked on the departure you are considering, to see if there would be anyone in your dd's range.

I hope this helps without sounding too negative.

This trip has alot of down time. I would suggest that you arrive a day early. That first day is long!!! There is plenty of time to sleep on the coach. I believe this adventure covers more miles than any other offered by disney.

Important: Ask about the make-up of your group. My children were the only kids on our adventures with an average age of 45+. Also, consider the temps. when you go. We froze in October.

Suggestions: The hike in Sedona is not a long hike. At Arches take the bus tour and do not the hike to the arch. The hike to the arch may be too much for one that age in the heat. We stayed on the bus and had a wonderful experience with the guide, and the kids were able to climb under the arches that we saw. We felt we didn't miss out by not taking the hike.

warcholmom,
Hi! We did this trip this August with our 4 kids. Our youngest daughter was 6 at the time, but her birthday is at the end of August, so she was only weeks from turning 7. (The next oldest child in our group was our 9 year old son.) Our 6 year old did GREAT on the trip. The hike to Delicate Arch is the most strenuous part of the trip. It took 3 hours to hike up and back. I was worried about her, but she did it with no problem. She was very proud of herself. It is a spectacular view and so worth the exertion.
For white water rafting, I was told it was fortunate that she was 6, because that was the youngest age allowed to go. She did not paddle, but instead sat in the middle of the boat and called "Stroke!" to keep us in synch.:laughing:
I remember thinking that I was glad she was not any younger than she was for the trip. I do think Disney's recommendation of 6 for this trip is right on target. I feel certain that is based on as much research as the rest of the itinerary which was spot on for the whole trip.
One couple brought their older 2 kids and left their 4 year old daughter at home. At first, I thought that was odd--we just have never vacationed like that--it's all of us, or just me and my husband, but never some kids and not others. After the week was over, I realized how wise that decision was for them. They really got to enjoy the trip and the 10 and 12 year old in a way I am certain they would not have with a 4 year old.
Hope this helps.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter