Approximate % increase in price each year

ww52

DIS Veteran
We had a wonderful extended family trip last summer - our first with grandchildren. (And we'll be going back in 2020 with 4 grandchildren this time).

Last summer was so very special that my wife - the most generous and family loving person I can imagine - said she wants to celebrate our 50th wedding anniversary by paying for 6 nights for the whole family at the Grand Floridian.

Well, we've changed that to the Beach Club instead - but still VERY expensive. We'll need 4 rooms.

I've started saving for this already and I've projected the cost out to that special year (which is still 6 years away.)

The big variable of course is how fast the room rates increase. Right now - in July of 2019 - I see a garden view room at $474 a night. Plus 12.5% tax makes it 533.25. So that's my starting point.

Now - what factor do I use for the increase? I can't find any historical rates - not even 2018. I suspect there are people who go frequently enough to be able to give me a good estimate. I started using 7% each year - but that almost sounds too low. Yet if I use say 10%, we're up to $1000 a night ($945) by then. I guess that's not unreasonable (because ... well, Disney). So my target amount is about 24,000 to save (4 rooms, 6 nights, $1000 per night. And with what I started to put away I'll get there (I'm assuming a 6% return on my investments - and I'm considering taxes on that as well).

So my question is: is 10% still too low?

Any thoughts?

Thanks much!

I think we're waiting to see how much GE impacts the increase for next year. Once we have that in, we'll be in a better place to project.

I also booked for 2020 (by phone, room only, highest rack rate of year). I added 10% on top of that to try to guess what I'll be paying in 2020.

That said, a 10% increase is a large increase. I've not seen increases that large for room rates before.

Good point - though I would think maybe in 6 years the novelty of that would wear off, but you're right - the hotels around the Studios will be more in demand next year - especially if the Star Wars hotel inself is extremely expensive.

Still - supply/demand should make some other hotels relatively cheaper - that is, the rate would go up slower for some, more for others.

The idea of BC is because of the kids. We could switch that to other places depending on costs.

Good point - though I would think maybe in 6 years the novelty of that would wear off, but you're right - the hotels around the Studios will be more in demand next year - especially if the Star Wars hotel inself is extremely expensive.

Still - supply/demand should make some other hotels relatively cheaper - that is, the rate would go up slower for some, more for others.

The idea of BC is because of the kids. We could switch that to other places depending on costs.

Most of the hotels around DHS in walking distance are deluxe though, which may already be out of the price point for majority of guests, so increase may not be based on that.

Thanks Farro - that raises a question regarding our trip for next year, but I'll post that on another thread.

Buy an annual pass. You may reserve 3 rooms with an AP discount with one annual pass. With the room and dining discounts it will save you money.

I think you are safe with 7. Especially factoring in that there will likely be some sort of discount available. There are also travel agencies that offer steep discounts at certain times of the year.

It sounds like it will be an amazingly special trip! You don't mention the makeup of the families that will be traveling together, but I just wanted to suggest, perhaps, also looking into 2, 2-bedroom villas at BCV. Each villa would give you 2 bedrooms, 2 bathrooms, a living room, full kitchen and a washer/dryer. I've found, these sometimes price out less than 2 regular BC resort rooms and you still get all of the benefits of staying at BC. You could also consider renting points for the villas which would save you some money over booking directly through WDW.

I did this awhile back for Poly room rates 2017 vs 2018 and the average rack rate increase for the whole year was 5.1%, FWIW. Granted, you can pick out dates/seasons and view types that were well above (and below) that, but in terms of averages it was 5.1%.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!