April 8th, 2018 14-Night Westbound Panama Canal from Port Canaveral to San Diego

so people would bring thier own legos to the ship? how would that work if your building together? how would you get them all back etc?
For a big build, we'd want to do planning up front and we would have to limit the number of participants somewhat. We would put together the design and parts list before we sail, then folks signed up would bring the parts for their section. (You can get loose parts from lego stores and online.)

For a themed smaller build, we could have more participants. Folks could bring parts for something of their own design (for example, if we set the theme to be "build your own model of a Disney ship"), or folks could just bring a Lego set in a box they'd like to build alongside new friends.

The idea is to keep it simple, keep it fun.

When we tell people that was our favorite cruise and there was two hurricanes they are like what? You just had too be there.

Haha! Yes you did have to be there! We had a total blast! I was up the night Capt Guus nd Capt Fabian switched places and watched from our verandah! That was an awesome sight! I'm looking forward to doing the Westbound this time and also the new locks! I didn't miss Cabo or Puerto Vallarta!

I'd do a 5k charity onboard run. Give kids the world is in my mind because another podcast did an event for them today and the Dis supports them too. Either way I'd be happy to help work on a medal or shirts. I have a guy that's sells/organizes all of that... (someone else would have to design them, I have no skills in that regard.) No pressure either way.

2 - A 5k or 10k walk/run on board the ship. Folks could register ahead of time, complete the distance on any day they choose, and simply collect your medals afterwards on the ship. We could even raise a little money for a charity we all vote on ahead of time. If the cost was $20-25, that would cover a really nice, custom medal on a ribbon or on a keychain, and the rest would go to the non-profit.

If you're interested in either of these, let me know here or send me a message. :)
I enjoyed keeping track of my deck 4 walks on on two previous Transatlantic cruises, and would like to do so again on this cruise. I'm in favor of contributing money to a charity, but I don't need or want a medal to add to my clutter at home.

Hello! Our family will be on this cruise in April - our kids will be 7 and 12 on the trip. This will be our 8th cruise with DCL. Really looking forward to it!

If anyone is interested, I would love to organize two fun activities -

1 - A Lego Club. We could do it several different ways. We could work together on one big build (an example might be a model of Castaway Cay), with a plan ahead of time, and folks would sign up to build specific sections. Or, we could work on smaller builds together around a Disney or cruise theme - everyone bring supplies to build pirate ships, or supplies to build your own version of the Wonder, etc. Or we could do both a big group build and the smaller builds! Kids AND adults would be welcome.

2 - A 5k or 10k walk/run on board the ship. Folks could register ahead of time, complete the distance on any day they choose, and simply collect your medals afterwards on the ship. We could even raise a little money for a charity we all vote on ahead of time. If the cost was $20-25, that would cover a really nice, custom medal on a ribbon or on a keychain, and the rest would go to the non-profit.

If you're interested in either of these, let me know here or send me a message. :)

I would love to do the 5k. My friends may also be interested too

Hi all. It's been awhile since I've been on the DIS at all and I'm excited to see that the activity has picked up a bit since I started this thread months ago! My wife and I are doing this cruise together. Our kids are all adults now and are a bit jealous, but they don't have the time to join us anyway.

We've booked our flight to Orlando and will be staying on property and going to DAK forthe day (and now with the evening activities, into the night) on Saturday. We haven't decided where to stay yet, but I love POR and POFQ. We might choose one of those, or do something different. We won't have much time to spend in San Diego, but since we moved from SoCal just a couple of years ago, we don't feel like we'll be missing much. It was tough enough to get two weeks off work.

Our last sailing was with DCL on the Wonder out of Galveston. Happy to answer any questions you might have about the Wonder since her remodel. We really enjoyed the new look of the ship.

Quick question...when will Disney post activities and excursions for this cruise? I know booking opens up December 9th for Platinum and Concierge, but is there a way to preview what will actually be offered on what day and when before this date? We are PIF, so I'm itching to start planning the next stage of things.

Any experienced cruisers who have done Puntarenas way in the past? Am curious, port time shows a little less than 9 hours. But at least one shorex is over that limit (yes I know they wait for DCL shorex). Will they actually offer those when they have a good idea up front it may delay all aboard?

Last edited:
We've lived in and were married in Eastern WA, and lived in both Western WA, and Western OR. (Although I'm born and raised on the East coast). We go back regularly to visit family in E and W WA. What part of the PNW do you live in?

Hi. We live in Pullman, WA and just booked this cruise. We literally got the last (non existent) cabin. I guess we are on a waiting list for a real stateroom??? It is an inside room, but I'm hoping a window or balcony opens up. This is our first Disney cruise and I am so psyched!!! We are celebrating my husband's retirement from U of Idaho where he was a professor. We are DVC owners and want to do it all! I want to do the fish thingy too! Let me know what to do!!
Jill and Tom

Hi. We live in Pullman, WA and just booked this cruise. We literally got the last (non existent) cabin. I guess we are on a waiting list for a real stateroom??? It is an inside room, but I'm hoping a window or balcony opens up. This is our first Disney cruise and I am so psyched!!! We are celebrating my husband's retirement from U of Idaho where he was a professor. We are DVC owners and want to do it all! I want to do the fish thingy too! Let me know what to do!!
Jill and Tom
Welcome to the cruise.

Hello! Just booked this cruise over the weekend (one of two rooms that were open!) for our honeymoon! This is our second Panama sailing - we traveled Eastbound in October of 2015 - and we loved it so much we thought we'd do it again. We (Jason and I (Jennifer)) look forward to meeting you all and having a wonderful sailing!!

https://disneycruise.disney.go.com/port-adventures/panama-canal/

Here you will find excursions for each port.

Justin

Was wondering why all the Castaway Cay port adventures are for 2 days?
I had to go double check to see if they added another day for us, but no....

Jill and Tom[/QUOTE

Hi Jill & Tom!
My DH (Vijay) is a professor at Central Washington Univ. so we live in Ellensburg. He will be on sabbatical at this time, so we jumped at the opportunity.
Glad you were able to book this!
We look forward to meeting you!

Marcy

Was wondering why all the Castaway Cay port adventures are for 2 days?
I had to go double check to see if they added another day for us, but no....

Marcy

That's a VERY good question!! I see that too! (How cool would that be btw!)

I guess it is time to decide what we are doing in port.

CC day is all set, I have NO idea on anything else.

Quick question...when will Disney post activities and excursions for this cruise? I know booking opens up December 9th for Platinum and Concierge, but is there a way to preview what will actually be offered on what day and when before this date? We are PIF, so I'm itching to start planning the next stage of things.

Goto the DCL website and under things to do goto
port adventures

We have never booked anything on CC. I just love hanging out on the beach, renting a bike and riding around the island and wading out into the water in serenity cove. I think we'll probably do the same again this time. With the Wonder being a smaller ship, the island isn't very full. I love taking photos but I've resisted taking my digital SLR onto the beach. I think this time I might just do that and wonder the island taking pictures. I'll need to look for one of those camera bag backpacks though so I can take a couple of different lenses.

Speaking of which, any photographer lovers around here? I bought my digital SLR for our Alaska cruise and was not disappointed. I haven't put a LOT of money into gear. Here is what I have.

Canon T2i purchased as a package at Costco with standard 18-55 lens and an 55-250 lens (I gave this to my daughter about a year ago when she purchased her first digital SLR)
Canon EF 70-200 F4 L
Canon EFS 18-200 3.5-5.6 (most often used lens)
Canon EF 50mm 1.4 w/ Hoya UV filter
Hoya NXT polarizing filter and an adapter so I can use it on my 72mm 18-100 and my 67mm 70-200 lens.

I purchased the 70-200 when my 18-200 broke while on vacation. I recently had it repaired. All of the lenses except the 18-55 were purchased used.

I have a small tripod and a monopod but I don't take the out much. I've never invested in a flash or battery pack but I'm considering upgrading to a full frame. Only my 50mm and L lenses will work with a full frame, so I'd likely need to invest in a lens and a flash at the same time. Not sure I want to make that jump. i really like the smaller size of the T2i.

My primary storage is a 32Gb Sandisk 95Mb/s SD card. I wanted both speed and capacity and this has not been a disappointment.

A few questions. What would you take with you on the ship? What about onto the island? Other excursions? Thoughts on any gaps I should consider filling in my kit?

I've been known to take a LOT of kit on Disney trips but have learned to moderate that. It comes down to how much time will you be shooting versus how much time you will spend with your family. I'm not talking snapshots but concentrating on creating art with your camera. Last EBPC, I took a whole backpack worth including a backup body (just in case).

Whatever you do take will be the best possible choice you can make. Think about that. And it's easy to travel with more gear on the ships compared to the parks, running back to your room for something is so easy.

That being said take the L, it's too sharp not to. And the fifty (ditto). And probably the 18-55 for walk around. What I see missing? Wide angle zoom, like a 10-24 Tamron or similar. You'd be amazed what you can do with it, especially when with large groups and close quarters, like at dinner or such. And maybe a graduated neutral density filter to REALLY get those sunsets.

Thanks for the great suggestions. I had not thought about the wide angle zoom but it would be very helpful for my compact sensor which already crops the image. My recent trips I've limited my kit to camera and the 18-200. I don't think I could feel comfortable leaving that back, primarily because I've become quite used to it's versatility. It's become my walking around lens, but it does add considerable weight to the camera. The 18-55 would make it significantly more nimble.

The ND filter is something I need to give some serious thought to. I like the Hoya filters because they seem to offer a good balance between price and performance, but I haven't looked at those very much, so I have some homework to do.

Also a good point about the different reasons for taking pictures. I figured that with the longer vacation I'd spend more time taking pictures for the art of it and not just for the memories. It will be just my wife and I and she is very patient with me when I stop to shoot something interesting, but I don't know how long that would last if I spent time futzing with different settings and lenses to take a picture of a rusty nail.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter