APs and Resort guests can now upgrade their magicband

Question- my DME says I need to order bands before 8 days from now. Our trip isn't until July 20th. I thought we had until like 2 weeks before trip start date. If so, we can wait until July 3rd. This is our 1st Disney trip in quite some time. First time with bands. I too saw all the different ones, and needed to ask grand daughter which one she wanted. Then 'poof', all gone. I check twice a day for them to reappear. Thanks for any info!

Question- my DME says I need to order bands before 8 days from now. Our trip isn't until July 20th. I thought we had until like 2 weeks before trip start date. If so, we can wait until July 3rd. This is our 1st Disney trip in quite some time. First time with bands. I too saw all the different ones, and needed to ask grand daughter which one she wanted. Then 'poof', all gone. I check twice a day for them to reappear. Thanks for any info!
Generally magic bands are shipped about a month before a trip. Our trip begins on June 28, and our first set of bands were shipped on June 1. But the option to edit the bands disappeared a couple of days before they were actually shipped. We have a multi-split stay, so I had a few more days to edit the next sets. Each set followed the same pattern with the option to edit disappearing right before they were shipped. We were unable to upgrade any of our bands because Disney ran out of stock. I too, checked multiple times a day, but the upgraded bands were never available to purchase. There are some reports that July 3 is the "magical" restock day, but I haven't seen anything official. Also several people were able to upgrade over the phone with ShopDisney. But that varied from person to person and really depends on who you talk to and when your trip is scheduled. I considered this option, but most of the ones we wanted were out of stock at ShopDisney too. So I never even tried.

So I ended up being able to order upgraded magic bands through shop Disney at the $10 price. They just arrived today and all are correct. Just thought I would share my experience here. I wasn't expecting a response given others experiences, but I decided to write guest services a respectful email expressing my frustration that they rolled this out without any restrictions on ordering. (i.e., People with sooner trips get to order first.) We check in July 9th. This is what I wrote:

Hello,

I would like to give a suggestion regarding your recent policy of allowing Disney resort hotel guests to purchase upgraded magic bands for $10. My family has an upcoming package booked at Caribbean Beach Resort for check in July 9. (Confirmation number XXXXXXX.) We only have one week left to customize our magic bands and have been unable to order upgraded bands because they sell out as soon as stock is released. I'm seeing reports on Disney message boards and facebook groups of people with reservations months and months out being able to upgrade their magic bands and the bands being shipped immediately. I really think you should consider opening a window for ordering upgraded magic bands depending on when a guest's trip is. (For example, one month before check in, similar to the advanced dining reservation and fast pass+ system.) This will allow guests with trips coming up soon to have priority and I would imagine it will help keep stock up since allowing anyone with a Disney resort reservation, regardless of trip date, seems to be causing them to sell out immediately. Since we only have a week left to customize our bands, I think it's unlikely we will get to participate in this and my family of 5 is disappointed. We were really excited about this new option! I hope you will consider the points I've made and think about editing your policy to allow everyone access to this new feature.

Thanks,

SBD78

As it turns out, I got a call from someone at guest services later that day with the offer to purchase upgraded bands for $10 out of whatever available stock shop Disney had. (Excluding special edition bands.) I was given the phone number many of you posted about and heard the July 3rd check in message but waited to talk to a person. I got nowhere with the first person, she had no idea what I was talking about and told me there was no stock. So I called back the woman from guest services and she called shop Disney with me on the line to make sure they put my order through. That time it worked and we were able to order our upgraded bands! I'm really happy they came through and made it happen. Just thought I would post in case it can help anyone else.

How long did it take before you got a reply or call back. Also did you email Disney directly through an email or use the Email option from within MDE? I sent an email last night to Disney through MDE and have not got a reply, aside from the we got your email message. Just curious.

How long did it take before you got a reply or call back. Also did you email Disney directly through an email or use the Email option from within MDE? I sent an email last night to Disney through MDE and have not got a reply, aside from the we got your email message. Just curious.
I emailed guest services at guest.services@disneyworld.com . I received a phone call a few hours later.

I am so sorry people are having to deal with this. I feel bad that my order managed to go through and got processed without issue (i jumped on it the day it opened) and my trip isn't until September, when there are people with trips sooner who are out of luck.

Here is a thread about this "complete order by" message you're seeing in MDE. I called Disney about it today. Update in the last post.

https://www.disboards.com/threads/only-3-days-to-complete-my-magic-band-order.3753725/

From Walt Disney World Today on Twitter... same story still...

“Hi, Jeff! We are so sorry for the continued frustrations, however we don't have any specific updates we can share at this time. We recommend continuing to check back as our teams are working diligently to replenish our inventory. We sincerely appreciate your patience and understanding.”

I am so sorry people are having to deal with this. I feel bad that my order managed to go through and got processed without issue (i jumped on it the day it opened) and my trip isn't until September, when there are people with trips sooner who are out of luck.
I did the same, jumping on it the day it opened and we got our magic bands for our *November* trip already. They really should have organized this thing in date order, to be fair.

I have a split stay coming up in July so I get to order 2 sets of MagicBands. Here's my plan: I am going to choose plain colored MagicBands for the first part of my trip (July 15-17) and wait until July 3rd to *try* and order upgraded bands for the second part (July 17-22). If something goes wrong I'll still have the first set.

Does this seem like a good plan? Am I missing something?

I have a split stay coming up in July so I get to order 2 sets of MagicBands. Here's my plan: I am going to choose plain colored MagicBands for the first part of my trip (July 15-17) and wait until July 3rd to *try* and order upgraded bands for the second part (July 17-22). If something goes wrong I'll still have the first set.

Does this seem like a good plan? Am I missing something?

Sounds like it should work, IMO. It is what I would do/try.
I expect that you will get your MB at the second resort when you move on the 17th.
(Not sure exactly how it works in there USA - I'm Canadian so we always get ours at the resort when we arrive)

I can't even access the MB page for my October trip. It says Your MagicBand Order Status Is Currently Unavailable :crazy2:

This roll out is so frustrating. I wish they would announce the tentative plan. The unknown I think is the worst part for everyone.

I know. The one day I forget to check is the day that there'll be a two hour window where they'll be available until they sell out again for another month.
I fear this too. Trying to be patient and wait on the email for those of us after the July 3rd date, but I have seriously considered just being done with it and buying the stickers on etsy like we have in the past.

I fear this too. Trying to be patient and wait on the email for those of us after the July 3rd date, but I have seriously considered just being done with it and buying the stickers on etsy like we have in the past.

We got the ones from MYB...Just in case we get hosed.

Edit: and I just checked and mine for July 6th trip just got charged...again.

Last edited:
Things are happening!! Maybe. Ordered first day and got email confirmation, been hanging out in limbo territory since then. I’ve been checking in periodically and seeing nothing, but tonight we’ve got movement:
MDE:

Pending CC payment:

Here’s hoping!

So has is only been twice they’ve had the upgraded magic bands actually available? The first day and then once again about a week later?

Following along as I just booked a bday trip for my boys’ Aug 1-7. It would be nice to have personalized bands but not the end of the world.

So has is only been twice they’ve had the upgraded magic bands actually available? The first day and then once again about a week later?
Pretty much! The second one was like a short window. I was actually surprised to see it and immediately tried to select the bands. But I could never get that far as I would get an error message that I needed to contact WDW for assistance. Then the upgrade choices were gone...ALL of them. The first time at roll out, the choices disappeared as they ran out. The very brief second time, all the choices were gone at once. I thought it was an IT issue, and it just wasn't loaded yet. But when I went back...NOTHING except the solid colors. And those were hit and miss at first too!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter