APs and Resort guests can now upgrade their magicband

I saw a comment on WDW News Today saying only new reservations after the program starts will get the option. The person made it sound like they'd called and been told no, but didn't cite any news sources indicating the policy. Seems like that'd be a pretty arbitrary move on Disney's part and lose them money...if it's true.

Agreed with others; this may be what finally gets me to buy another upgrade band (I bought a Donald Duck band back in 2015 because we were staying at the Dolphin and figured we might as well upgrade if we had to purchase them separately anyway). Getting a new band in a new color for free is one thing, and I was planning to accept a new band even though I don't really need one just to have a new color, but I can't justify actually spending $24 on a band when it just does the same thing as the free ones. $10 feels like a good deal even though I'm sure the markup is still ridiculous if we knew the actual cost of producing them; I think pricing it by simply subtracting the retail cost of a plain band was a very smart move. I think they're hoping people will either buy upgrade bands for each trip, in which case Disney is making more money on MBs from people like me who wouldn't normally buy a graphic band--or that as another poster suggested, people will start reusing their snazzy graphic bands and decline plain ones on future trips, in which case Disney is spending less money on materials and shipping. Win for them either way.

That. Plus there is nowhere but outside on the street to leave them. You do NOT want packages sitting outside on the street for any period of time.
I sign up on track my package to be notified by email or text when package arrives. There are “porch pirates” who follow delivery trucks, wait till they leave and steal packages. SICK!>:(

I saw a comment on WDW News Today saying only new reservations after the program starts will get the option. The person made it sound like they'd called and been told no, but didn't cite any news sources indicating the policy. Seems like that'd be a pretty arbitrary move on Disney's part and lose them money...if it's true.

I can't imagine them doing that!!

That would blow. I'm already booked over phone for May 2020, if they tell me no, I will call and complain until I get (and pay for) my upgrade! :p

I had this thought myself and would not be surprised at all if it is only for reservations going forward. I'd be kinda disappointed about it, but it may come down to a system limitation. Keeping my fingers crossed though!

Aww I hope not! We’re going in August and I’d love to be able to choose character magic bands. It seems like a huge loss of potential income if they do it that way. Hopefully it’s just another example of a phone CM not having all the information!

Oh. Well I'll already be there when I activate it, so that doesn't help me! :p

Hopefully it applies to all upcoming resort stays, not just new ones.
Well, you still have to order your AP Magicband after you activate your AP, they don't give to you there anyway.

Just watching to see when this goes live! I have all the other colors and have started duplication. I'd like to have something new this trip and $10 sounds fair.

Actually I’m in Bed-Stuy. The mail carrier leaves things in the entryway where our mailboxes are. But UPS and FedEx don’t have that key so it is MAYBE left on the porch or you are going into an industrial area to pick them up.

I may hate the postal service at times, but for packages I would rather they come mail. At least I don’t feel like I am taking my life into my hands going to pick one up there if I have to.

And trust me - having served on Grand Jury this past summer, I can tell you...even mailrooms do not stop people who are going to steal packages.

Ah we have a house in Midwood. If I was in an apartment building I’d have anything not USPS delivered to a store. I actually had to do that with my Magical Express documents last trip because I wasn’t going to be home when they were delivered and it was like two days before we flew down (ME messed up my address). I had them sent to the UPS store near my job. It was free and easy to do on the UPS app.

Have purchased a Ring Doorbell 2. I dragged my feet, for about a year or 2 on this. Summer seems to be a magnet for unwanted solicitors, seriously, in this day and age, who opens the door to solicitors. Hey, I'm from Jersey, never have opened the door to strangers, just the way I was raised, and we always lived in very safe suburbs, but one cannot be too sure. :eek:Additionally, with the increase incidence of "porch pirates" with package delivery, I wanted some additional security of footage on my I phone. Especially around the holidays, thieves follow UPS or FedEx trucks and when they leave, steal packages in one minute, Sick! >:( I love it.
If the doorbell rings, I see it immediately on my phone. Love the Neighbors app, which anyone can join on your phone, even if you don't have a Ring Doorbell device. The Neighbor apps alerts you to various issues that can occur within say 5 miles of your house. I can be on vacation or at a store and can answer the doorbell. Really great! ::yes:::banana:Highly recommend!

Ah we have a house in Midwood. If I was in an apartment building I’d have anything not USPS delivered to a store. I actually had to do that with my Magical Express documents last trip because I wasn’t going to be home when they were delivered and it was like two days before we flew down (ME messed up my address). I had them sent to the UPS store near my job. It was free and easy to do on the UPS app.

Sadly, I've not had good luck with that. The UPS Stores are too far down the list to make it easy so I am shown locations that will take packages. The first place I tried to send something to decided they were full and the package went into the void for a while and was then returned to sender. The second time it was better, but I don't like having to have my stuff sitting in a bodega back room.

Have purchased a Ring Doorbell 2. I dragged my feet, for about a year or 2 on this. Summer seems to be a magnet for unwanted solicitors, seriously, in this day and age, who opens the door to solicitors. Hey, I'm from Jersey, never have opened the door to strangers, just the way I was raised, and we always lived in very safe suburbs, but one cannot be too sure. :eek:Additionally, with the increase incidence of "porch pirates" with package delivery, I wanted some additional security of footage on my I phone. Especially around the holidays, thieves follow UPS or FedEx trucks and when they leave, steal packages in one minute, Sick! >:( I love it.
If the doorbell rings, I see it immediately on my phone. Love the Neighbors app, which anyone can join on your phone, even if you don't have a Ring Doorbell device. The Neighbor apps alerts you to various issues that can occur within say 5 miles of your house. I can be on vacation or at a store and can answer the doorbell. Really great! ::yes:::banana:Highly recommend!

My sister lives in suburban MD and caught porch pirates that had been stealing Amazon packages in her subdivision, with a Ring. We got one recently because we had issues with home improvement contractors dumping their debris on our block. It mysteriously stopped when we produced video to Sanitation enforcement, lol. Cameras don’t solve everything but they’re a deterrent for the opportunistic...one of the best things a homeowner can invest in nowadays imo. It’s sad that we need them.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!