APs and Resort guests can now upgrade their magicband

I signed up for an annual pass for the first time ever earlier this week. I never got any information explaining magicbands and the FAQs don't help, but I assumed I would just get one in the mail. Today I decided to dig around the website and noticed you can choose the theme of your magicband, which I tried to do on several different computers/phone and keep getting an error message. And of course the one I wanted (Haunted Mansion) now disappeared. You would think Disney would be more organized than this. :(

I signed up for an annual pass for the first time ever earlier this week. I never got any information explaining magicbands and the FAQs don't help, but I assumed I would just get one in the mail. Today I decided to dig around the website and noticed you can choose the theme of your magicband, which I tried to do on several different computers/phone and keep getting an error message. And of course the one I wanted (Haunted Mansion) now disappeared. You would think Disney would be more organized than this. :(
It's been like this for a while now. I'm going in September with my family and tried for weeks to upgrade the bands. I finally was able to complete a purchase one morning around 11am eastern time. I agree with you, you'd think Disney would have worked out the bugs before going live. I think they need to let people place orders even if the bands are back ordered and fill the orders. If they can't be mailed people can pick them up at their resort.

I have been trying throughout the day, but I'm not going to try for weeks. I just decided to pick a free plain one and it went through with no problem.

Band choices come and go all the time. It's horrible. Haunted Mansion is the one I would like, as well. It will be back, but getting to complete the order for it is another story.

this process is infuriating- I only have 7 more days to place my order. Band selection changes throughout the day- the style you want may be posted in the morning, gone by midday, and back again in the evening. Even when I am able to get 2 bands 'in my cart' the order can never be processed. I agree with another poster that said it would be nice for Disney to give us a credit to be used in-store at the parks after we arrive. Problem solved, I think.

I’m curious: Has anyone seen the Spaceship Earth band among the options recently? I just started checking within the past 2 days and have seen most options pop up when I’ve looked at various times, but that’s one I have yet to see.
I see it available at this time.

I see it available at this time.
Saw it this morning and successfully added it to one band! However, the design I wanted for the a second band wasn't available so I wasn't ready to complete the order. Sigh. At least I know it's possible!

Spaceship Earth is gone but might be back when you're ready. The whole system is messed up again. I was able to get it into the cart, but it would never go through the sales. That was hours ago. Some different ones have shown up. Moana is back. Just successfully ordered two, but I had to do it through Chrome incognito mode. One still wants SE so I will watch. We have Dec reservations also so I can keep checking.

Just wondering, if we change a resort reservation that has a custom magic band ordering to a different resort, will we have to pay the MBs full price?

Also, since we're international travelers, will the MBs relocate to our new resort? Not sure if the fulfillment center ship the MBs to the resort a few days before check-in (as they do with regular MBs) or when the order is made.

Success finally!!! After trying what seemed like 100 times a day everyday since this whole fiasco started, I finally snagged the snacks magic band! It went all the way thru without a hitch on the first try yesterday along with the confirmation email showing the correct band. So...fingers crossed thats what shows up!

Last edited:
Out of curiosity, I went to ShopDisney and put the three bands we want in the shopping cart. Got all the way up to the payment page. So three of the bands we want are available, just not when I try them as an upgrade, even though they show up. If they don’t not those three to be eligible, just stop having them as a selection. If I wasn’t so stubborn, I’d pay full price. But since that’s clearly what Disney wants us to do, I refuse. If I get down to my last day to order, I’ll just get plain bands.

Out of curiosity, I went to ShopDisney and put the three bands we want in the shopping cart. Got all the way up to the payment page. So three of the bands we want are available, just not when I try them as an upgrade, even though they show up. If they don’t not those three to be eligible, just stop having them as a selection. If I wasn’t so stubborn, I’d pay full price. But since that’s clearly what Disney wants us to do, I refuse. If I get down to my last day to order, I’ll just get plain bands.
The ill will they create in order to nickel & dime their customers & the number of customers willing to accept it is unreal.

Just chiming in here to state the obvious: this entire process is ridiculous. I have attempted so many times but have been unable to complete. I think I'll just keep my $10 and stick with plain bands! Nice try Disney.

I find the whole situation to be a great big fail on Disney's part.
1. They introduced premium bands without having an adequate inventory.
2. They did not give any kind a priority to guests who had an upcoming trip and needed the bands a lot sooner than someone who had a trip in 2020.
3. The system is so flawed that people aren't getting the bands they thought they ordered.
4. and the worst fail of all is that they know the system isn't working right but there doesn't seem to be any attempt to fix the problem.

I am too stubborn to pay full price for my husband's premium band and I am angry that the band that was in the shopping cart when I hit the purchase button disappeared when the confirmation came out. We still have time to purchase the premium band but it is very annoying to have to keep trying to get it.

The ill will they create in order to nickel & dime their customers & the number of customers willing to accept it is unreal.

Im.guilty too. Why am I trying so hard to spend money on something I don't need?
Has anybody been able to buy the Stitch band? Its there often, I just can't buy it!

Im.guilty too. Why am I trying so hard to spend money on something I don't need?
Has anybody been able to buy the Stitch band? Its there often, I just can't buy it!
I tried several times with no success. Yesterday I was able to get Tinkerbell, Dole Whip, and Mickey Snacks. But it wouldn't let me check out with the Stitch band. It kept removing it from the selection. Actually I was surprised I got that far. Usually I can't even get it selected. So I finally picked a plain one instead. Then I was able to check out with 3 upgraded bands! This was the first time, since the first day it rolled out that I was actually able to order. Granted, I gave up for a long time because it wasn't worth the hassle. We weren't able to upgrade for our summer trip because of this crazy system. So I'm hoping to upgrade for the rest of my family on a different order. My youngest daughter really wants Stitch and my son wants Pirates. Hopefully they'll both be available at the same time!

I know, right? I’ve seen Stitch, but I’m not after that one. I want either the Snacks, Dole Whip, or Castle. My mother wants any of the Minnie ones or the Castle. My sister wants Sorcerer Mickey or the 2019 Mickey and Friends one. I get one or more in the cart, but the third one is always the killer. I’ve got a few more weeks to get this done.

I can’t even get the magic band page to show today. I click it and a blank page with Magic Bands written in top left corner is what shows up. I’m so frustrated with the whole thing. And why can’t we just call and do it on the phone? Why isn’t that possible?

So I can see that everybody is having issues with ordering/customizing Magic Bands, but it looks as if y'all can at least see the page to start the customization process. I can't even get that far -- every time I click on the "customize your magic bands" link on MDE, it redirects to a photo of Donald and the message that I don't have permission to view the page. Has that happened to anyone else? How did you fix it? I have a few months, but wanted to stay on top of the issue.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!