Aquatica... twice a week is my goal. 2010 season - post #101

SandrA9810

DIS Veteran
I can't stand "exercise". So my new goal while I'm not working is to go to Aquatica twice or more a week and well play. To me it sounds like a good idea.

And those stairs are evil.... I did the racers like 4 times today, and it did seem to get easier each time I climbed the steps... but not in a row. At leat there's an exilleration at the end instead of just sweating my butt off.
And rao rapids takes a lot to stay up without a life vest on.

I got in 4 hours tonight, and only two the other day because of rain. If only clorine didn't bother my eyes so much, that or i'm just really sleepy and need to go to bed. So i'll keep this topic updated with how busy I find the park for those that are coming.

And any one with a flex ticket. Go in about 5pm and you'll have plenty of time to do everything without the sunburn or crowds. The park will be open till 10pm every night till the end of summer.

This is how I feel at Water Country here in Va.!! I count it as my workout for the day!! Now if I could just stop eating the kids leftover nuggets at lunch!!

Wow, I'm envious. First, that you are so close to the parks, second that you can go down the slides. My foot is broken and in a cast. If I lived around there and my foot was healed, I would do that for exercise too.
We'll be there the end of June. Keep us posted on the crowds.

Oh, I like your workout!!!!! I think I'd hop on that plan too if I lived anywhere close!! :)

That's a good plan. I have annual passes for that park (+ SW & BG) but I only went on the preview day ages ago. It was February so it was still kinda grrbrr. Unfortunately I don't think I get much exercise when I go to water parks because I mostly don't do the rides, so no stairs. I really do have to get back there though.

Whoa, I had NO idea they were open that late. I just confirmed what you said on their web site. That's something! Now we might go this week. I've never been in a water park at night before.

I used to live in Chesapeake for a while back around 14 years ago and I went to Water Country & BGW a lot.

I try to do something similar with walking around the Disney parks regularly in the off-season, and my DH gets his exercise at Typhoon Lagoon. Now that we have Aquatica passes, he may switch over there. Only problem is, TL is a lot closer to us. It's a great way to get exercise and have fun at the same time. :thumbsup2

The only problem with all of this is the food part! You'd have to be awfully disciplined. I can be, but not so much when I'm running around Theme Parks.

I love TL. It's my favorite. Nobody does water parks like Disney imo. Well...nobody does anything like Disney as far as I'm concerned. :earboy2:

I'm not a fan of sea world's food. It doesn't compare to Disney, so I have no problem saying no to it. And as long as I go late enough, I can eat at home with no problem, or grab something better along the way.

And one of the most tiring thing is the Rao River without a life vest. Yeah, it sounds kinda easy, but it's not really trying to stay up, and facing forward. I think I rode it around a half dozen times. Racers 4 times, walkabout waters I went down all the "big" slides. 20 mins in the wave pool, 2 times down the dolphin, 1 time on tassie twister, 2 times on the slides next to the wave pool. And a couple times around the lazy river.

Yesterday I ached all day long. Kari wanted me to go to the flower and garden festival because we didn't have the time to make it over there. Plus we had two comps that expire on the 11th, so we figured to get some use out of them.
Even today I could feel it... mostly in my feet but I think that was from walking world showcase.

And I used to think walking the parks was good, but I can do it no problem. I mean I spent an entire day one time going on all the "scary rides" that Kari won't go on with me. And it didn't wear me out at all in comparison to the 5 hours there.

I like the disney parks... especially when I did photopass and got to stand in the lazy river... that was my favorite.

But Kari prefers sea world because they don't care about how big you are to play in the "kid" areas. And well as she is about "scary rides" it's nice to have fun with her in things she likes to do. And at the Disney parks, she'll do like less than half of what's there, and of course they won't let her play in the kid zones. So we only go when it's free.
She finds Thunder to be at the top of her list of things she'll do, although shamu might top it. She won't even do Space Mountain, I rode it once with her for her first time and she was down right terrified afterwards.

It sounds like you must have had a really good work out then, judging by the soreness. I never mind that as much as regular pain. It's "good" pain. lol It came from doing something good and it makes you feel like you finally accomplished something. That's me anyway. Once I've been slacking off a while (like now) and I start kickboxing workouts again, I can barely roll over in bed for 3 days. lol

True, Disney parks would definitely be more tempting, food-wise. I've never managed to make it to any of the other parks late, but you might have a point about heading there later. I guess because of past vacations I do tend to think of theme park touring as vacation-mode and therefore it's hard to break the habit and not think like I'm on vacation there. I'm not entirely sure I want to. I used to go a lot so I did manage to "behave" while I was there. Now I go so rarely.

I used to use Typhoon Lagoon as a beach. Sometimes Blizzard Beach, but TL kinda gives me that feeling of a cruise line private island a little. I haven't had my APs for there in a while. Maybe this summer. I have a comp. ticket to use for DW as well which is why we're going Thursday. Boy I miss those Premium Ann. passes sometimes! After the cruise and then Cocoa, I'm finding I'm missing the beach more than I had been. This is the furthest I've ever lived from the water in my life, but I know the water parks used to help.

I'm ok on rides like Space Mountain, Rockin' Roller Coaster, Expedition Everest etc. I didn't so much like steep drops like ToT, though, and I was quite surprised that Mission: Space made me feel really sick all day. It wreaked havoc on my sinuses. As far as the real water rides, I just haven't done those in ages. Some of the more mild ones I'd probably do if it came up.

I really had no idea that Aquatica was open so late so I'm so glad you posted that. Everything always seems to close by 5, so it makes it feel pointless for us to go unless we can go early. I think we're going to go Wednesday night now. It's about time we go back there and use our darn passes! Is everything still open at that hour...or at least most things? I'm trying to picture it. I've never been in a water park past maybe 6pm in the summertime.

One of the first times we went to TL, we went on an EMH night. Hung out in the wave pool during closing time. So we got to be in the park after dark which is cool. But it was only till 8pm.

None of the water areas close down, just some of the food shops close around 8pm. Including the all you can eat buffet. And some of the quick stands, but I think the one in the front of the park is open all night. And of course the stores are still open.

I spent another like 8hrs there today.. but in the middle of the day time. I took Kari to work at 7am, so I decided to go ride Manta, got on it six times. But they were having problems and kept switch station sides. So about noon time I went to Aquatica. It was busy, but not crowded and full yet.

The dolphin slide had maybe a five to ten min wait... usually down 1-2 flights of stairs.
The lazy river wasn't jammed pack, but it was monkey see, monkey do for tassie twister... once like 2 or 3 people headed up, every one would follow. And once the line got to the bottom, every one would wait for it to clear before getting in line. Of course with people and the huge tubes, there's fewer people than you think.
The racers were practically walk on, once I had to wait down one flight of stairs. But with 8 slides, it moves very fast.
The two family slides though had a line like 1/2 way down if not 3/4 of the way down most the afternoon.
And I didn't head over to the far side of the park this time... so i don't know how busy it got there.
I have learned one thing though. In the kids play area, if you start doucing every one with water, some of the kids will remember you and want revenge. It happened with a couple little "wee brats" (there was a cast member kari worked with from scotland that would call kids that). Of course most the time I was doucing the unsuspecting parents that were following thier little ones around. It was great. So if you ever see some one with black shorts w/ silver t-shirt one (blue on the shoulders)... that's me soaking you.

My funny moment of the day besides catching people off guard, was this g'mother who knew I was dumping water, and asked me not to drop water on her and her little one. Which I am better than that, I won't do it to little tikes. So she walked underneath the cover of the big bucket, but with so much water coming down all around she decided to turn back around, and bamm that's when the bucket dumped and she got drenched. She looked up at me with a snarky look on her face. But it wasn't me, I can't control the big thing on top. There is a warning bell if you listen for it.

I miss the beach as well. I grew up in Miami and didn't live far from Haulover Beach. Then I lived in Hollywood, off US1 and it was like a ten minute drive from there. Spent lots of birthday weekends at Ft. Lauderdale beach for the air and sea show. Of course long before it was there, it used to take off from an old air force base in opa locka, which is right next to wear I live so I could see blue angels flying past my house. Of course now that they take off from FLL, it's safer for viewers since they preform over water. I do miss the ocean and stuff.... but I don't miss the sand up my butt, or those itty bitty jellyfish things, or the salt water getting in my mouth. Sometimes I prefer a pool for swimming, I like the beach for strolling and relaxing.

Ohh yeah, 5pm is about the magic hour of every one wanting to leave and by 6 it seems empty. 8pm it's practically dead. I have to say though, it's more fun in the walkabout waters with a bunch of kids there. it's not as fun without people to dunk.

Does anyone know how strict they are at Aquatica's kid area about height restrictions? My dd8 is just over the line. I know at Disney they are very strict about it and will send kids away. DD8 does not like big slides. Or are there any medium ones?

I'm usually pretty good about the sand, but I'm not so big on the jellyfish, potential sharks and other wonders of the Sea I'd rather see with a very large amount of glass between us. Yeah, now that you mention it I did get kinda sick after accidentally swallowing too much water in Grand Cayman a couple of weeks ago. That was one of the things I loved so much about Disney's Private Island. I was able to just sit near the shore like it was a pool without getting knocked around at all. Oh, it was so nice!

After I left Long Island NY I lived in the Boynton Beach area for a while, and I went to that air show you mentioned once. I was kinda board, but I didn't really like the people I was made to go with, so that could have been part of it. So now, although a lot of people can't understand this when I first say it, yes, Central Florida is the furthest from the Ocean, Bay etc. I've ever been. I just like being near it. When I was in Cocoa Beach recently, I didn't even go in, besides wading slightly because it was so nasty from the weather, but just sitting up on a blanket with the sea breeze blowing, reading was so nice! It took me a long time to be "Ready" to make the move near WDW because of leaving the water. Sine we bought our house 4 yrs. ago, I'm not as close as I want to be to DW and nowhere near the water. That wasn't exactly the plan.

We're going to Aquatica tomorrow if the plan doesn't change. We'll go in the afternoon, so we'll have some time in the sun (but I wear 50-70+ SPF depending upon where I'm putting it) and we'll stay at night now that I know we can. I'll have to explore that kids area more this time too. A couple of hours with my husband and I'm sure soaking unexpected people with water may hold special appeal for me. :P

ADisneyQueen: There's no restrictions. I've plopped down the baby slides even. They don't care. They will talk to you if you start causing trouble or do something wrong. And Kari is the same way, she doesn't like scary or big... And she will go on most everything in the park. I love walkabout waters. Most adults love it too. It's like a huge water war playground. There's four "big" slides, the pink and yellow go faster than the green and yellow. But the fun part is getting your hand on a dumping bucket they've got placed all over the place and dumping water as people walk under.

1littlespark: kari wants to head over there tomorrow. So we'll start our day at Sea World... try to see the penguins at 2. Then head over to Aquatica. I'm not very good at wearing sun screen. I finally found a good one, called dri, that had like baby powder in it or something so it didn't feel greasy after rubbing it in. But like a few days before I got canned at Disney some one borrowed it from me and I never saw it again. I know I should wear it, but I just don't like to. Plus I wear board shorts and shirt, you know not to mess up my well achieved disney tan... but it helps prevent the areas of my skin that don't normally get sun on a daily basis.

Don't get me wrong. I was certainly never good about wearing sunscreen in the past. Not that I was the type to lay there trying to tan on purpose, but it's a major pain, I agree. If it wasn't for these new continuous spray ones I'd probably still be lazy about it. I'm trying to do better now. This past year or so, especially for my face. I'm not a tiny girl, but I wear regular bathing suits often with halter tops and stuff anyway, so I really need to be careful.

Sorry to hear about your troubles with Disney.

Since you may be there, too, if you anyone who looks suspiciously like the girl below lol, by all means say hey. (I'm Robin)

qz28ls.jpg

Can you all tell me how bad the heat/humidity/crowds will be in late June at Sea World? I'm getting nervous about the hot temps. then. What is it like?
Also, would you recommend wearing watershoes at Aquatica?

lol I don't recommend wearing water shoes just about anywhere because I find them scary looking (although there seem to be some newer Maryjane style ones that are a little better) but seriously, if you're the sort of person who likes them, then wear them. My hb doesn't like to go barefoot and he hates flip flops. Same thing with a friend of mine. She wears her aqua socks with her tankinis (ergh) Except for really rocky beaches, or when I used to go rafting, I'd much rather feel the sand, water etc. on my bare feet and shoes would drive me nuts. You may have to remove them before going on certain rides. Not sure on that but I've seen it various places before. People who go to Aquatica more frequently on this thread could say much better.

As far as the heat and humidity go...I'm sure this isn't what you want to hear but the extreme hot & humidity has already started here and will go on long after June. It's just kinda a fact of life here. I wouldn't let it deter me from my vacation. It's also very easy to get things to drink in the parks and at Aquatica, there's water everywhere you can throw yourself in. Even at SW there are air conditioned places if you need a break. The thing is, last year we attempted a mid-October stay at WDW and it as crazy hot! That one did come as a bit of an annoying surprise. It isn't always like that at that time. With few exceptions you can't really count on cool weather for sure, so just be prepared and I'm sure you'll be fine. The summers in NY were pretty brutal and we didn't have AC. It may not really feel worse than what you're used to in the summers, depending on where you are in PA.

As far as crowds...kids pretty much everywhere are out of school and that tends to spell trouble, but again, that can happen almost anytime. Same thing again for me last October which should have been "safer" in WDW... not only was it brutally hot but I was like elbow to elbow with people for some reason! In SW I think the crowds aren't as much of a problem as other parks though, since a lot of what you do is looking at stuff. In other parks everything you do seems reliant on waiting on line for each ride/attraction.

When I was a kid you could never get shoes on me. Ran around every where outside with no shoes on. Never worried about stickler weeds or broken glass on the ground, or the heat.

But now I've gotten so used to having shoes on from working, that the soles of my feet are much more softer now. So I try to remember to wear my sandals to the park. It's not bad when you're in the pool, but the ground does get really hot, even when they spray it down with water. I forgot to wear them yesterday and now my feet are a bit sore. I'll take them off after the hottest parts of the day. Because I don't mind running around barefoot.

I also like to "glide" when I'm in the Rao river, so that has a tendency to make my feet a bit more sore.

I'd say wear them if you have them, and the only slide you'll have to take them off for is the dolphin slide and many people just hold them in the hands when they go down.

1littlespark... i'll see if i can get a picture uploaded. I haven't tried it yet. I just created a facebook account.

I wear black/blue board shorts with a silver/blue sleeved shirt. And really long hair down to my butt, usually braided.
Kari wears a army camo print shirt with white/blue board shorts. And looks like a guy for the most part. And we'll probably be in walkabout waters for most our time.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter