Are all WalMarts created equal?

Pluto777

DIS Veteran
Just wondering if all the Walmarts in the WDW area are the same price, or are some more than others?

To my knowledge, they're all the same price. We've been to several around the area. However, we have also found them to be disasters. They're packed...and I mean packed like MK packed...dirty, and just not great places to be. The checkout line takes forever. We very much prefer Target, even though we pay a bit more. They're not crowded, clean and easy to check out. If we just want groceries, we usually go to Publix. Same deal...a bit more expensive but far less hectic.

The main price difference I've found in Walmart is if you get pick-up versus going in yourself. The national (pick-up) prices are higher, especially for local-type produce. It's been a few years, but I found the Kissimmee Walmart to be large, clean, and well-lit. However, it's further than the Target. I had no problems with either, not in prices, finding items, or checking out. I will say, I'm not wildly impressed with Walmart's meats--not talking specifically in the Orlando area, but locally. I find that they're not low in price, but they are low in quality.

The only time I've had an issue with a Walmart being dirty with huge lines was in Philly--literally, there were lines to the back of the store. It was gross. I've been to Walmarts in many states, and that one still stands out as the worst.

I would say no, but that's not based on WDW experience, but the 3 we have here. While they may have some of the same products the store management makes a big difference but the type of customers they attract are vastly different. The newest store is the one i avoid, the people that shop there just trash the place constantly and the team members can't keep up. The closest store to me is laid out all wrong and confusing, I will go later at night but not during the day. The one in a of our cities is worth the drive, well maintained and the people that shop there don't trash the place.

To my knowledge, they're all the same price. We've been to several around the area. However, we have also found them to be disasters. They're packed...and I mean packed like MK packed...dirty, and just not great places to be. The checkout line takes forever. We very much prefer Target, even though we pay a bit more. They're not crowded, clean and easy to check out. If we just want groceries, we usually go to Publix. Same deal...a bit more expensive but far less hectic.

To the bolded: Publix is pretty pricey, but on vacation, you might not mind. We have one around the corner--I check out their weekly flyer, but seldom shop there. On the good side, they don't require a loyalty card, and their BOGOs are pretty good. We also love their made-to-order subs, and their store brand ice cream is very good (black container). On sale, it's 2, 1/2 gallons (true half gallons!) for $6. But, aside from cherry-picking specials, it's too pricey for me to shop there. However, they're very close to WDW, and the OP may not want to spend the entire vacation chasing the absolute lowest prices.

I think inside orange county the prices are a little higher, I dont think it's worth driving somewhere else unless you are going there anyways.
I noticed the diffrence because we went to walmart on the way to Tampa and somethings were cheaper.

If Walmart is close to an Aldi, then it will be cheaper on basic goods like milk, yogurt, bread, etc. We normally do a store pickup at the Walmart near 192/27 when flying into Tampa. We then changed the same order to the Walmart on 535 and the price had gone up on the same items around $3(about a $60 purchase). You will notice price differences between the Walmarts, but probably not enough to warrant driving out of the way to a different location. As for shopping experience, they mostly suck across the board, but we did shop at a neighborhood market in Kissimmee and found it not to be bad at all.

To the bolded: Publix is pretty pricey, but on vacation, you might not mind. We have one around the corner--I check out their weekly flyer, but seldom shop there. On the good side, they don't require a loyalty card, and their BOGOs are pretty good. We also love their made-to-order subs, and their store brand ice cream is very good (black container). On sale, it's 2, 1/2 gallons (true half gallons!) for $6. But, aside from cherry-picking specials, it's too pricey for me to shop there. However, they're very close to WDW, and the OP may not want to spend the entire vacation chasing the absolute lowest prices.
This probably sounds goofy, but I get excited to shop at Publix when I’m on vacation. Haha! I think their stores are clean and their food is fresh. I also love their deli items. I don’t mind splurging on boars head deli meat when I’m on vacation. I figure I’m still saving money over eating out every meal.

This probably sounds goofy, but I get excited to shop at Publix when I’m on vacation. Haha! I think their stores are clean and their food is fresh. I also love their deli items. I don’t mind splurging on boars head deli meat when I’m on vacation. I figure I’m still saving money over eating out every meal.

Oh, I can completely understand not worrying about saving every penny while on vacation. And Publix does have quality products and great service. They're just too pricey for me, for every day type shopping.

P.S. You can get the aforementioned subs with either Publix meats OR Boar's Head, for the same price. If you were looking to treat yourself. I'm fond of their garlic pickles and deli-style dressing on a sub. OTOH, my kids each love a different variation on their chicken tender sub. P. P. S. The subs are so big, a normal person would be fine with just half of one. DS22, OTOH, swills down an entire one in one sitting. Ah, youth!

Well - not answering this with respect to the WDW area - but in general all Walmarts are NOT created equal.

I kind of laugh when people say their Walmart is trashy. It is only trashy if most of the people who shop there are trashy. That does not mean that you are trashy - it just means that most of the others are.

One of our homes is in Central Arkansas (Arkansas is the home of Walmart). There is one in a not so great area that is awful. The one that is in a more upscale area is a totally different experience. One of the best Walmart's I've ever been to is about a mile away from Walmart's headquarters.

At our New Orleans home - we have a condo in a great upscale area - but most of the surrounding area is not so great. The Walmart near us is not so great - but one a few miles away is great.

But it's not just Walmart. Target opened a store near our condo in Arkansas which while not in the best area of town actually adjoins it. I was disgusted by the products that Target offered (or didn't offer) in our area vs out west in the newer more affluent area.

We usually go to the Wal Mart on Turkey Lake Road it is really not that bad and closer than Kissimmee to us. That being said beware when those huge tour groups from South America invade you might as well just throw in the towel because just like Sephora and other stores that they frequent you will never get out of there. I suggest you go as early in the morning as possible while visitors are at the parks.

I'm not sure which Walmart we went to the last time we were in WDW, but it was crazy! So crowded, dirty and chaotic. The line for the ladies room was at least 20 women deep...I'm not kidding. Never again.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter