Are cancelled reservations instant?

sethschroeder

DIS Veteran
Basically my question is if someone has looked themselves. When you drop a reservation does it instantly become available for someone else to book? Or what happens if you accidentally cancel something could you grab it again yourself?

Just wondering how the system works and if when stalking how quick the system is.

Late Friday night I took a chance dropping a few October nights of a Value Studio to attempt putting it together with another reservation (instead of having MS combine...I didn't care if I lost it) and it immediately became available. I was then able to modify my other reservation to add those dates. Just one point of reference.

It will depend on a waitlist. If there is a waitlist fro the nights you are dropping, it will go to the waitlist and you will not see it back in inventory.

It will depend on a waitlist. If there is a waitlist fro the nights you are dropping, it will go to the waitlist and you will not see it back in inventory.
I don't think this works all the time. I had waitlisted 2 separate nights for these studios and the waitlist didn't come through. I found both dates by stalking instead (at the same time though that wouldn't have mattered since I set them up individually).

Yes, it's been my experience that it's instant, unless the days dropped matched a waitlist.

Great3

I have had things happen both ways but more often than not, the rooms did not show up right away

But it also depends a lot on different things like room type, when, and how far out it happens.
So, if one drops things in hopes to pick back up for whatever reason, no guarantee it shows back up especially if you well within the 7 month window.

i has a waitlist fill today for Dec 17 to 19 and while MS was making the Change for me I was watching my account. As soon as the new room was booked I checked and the room I released was not there. I checked an hour later just to see and it was not there.

Basically my question is if someone has looked themselves. When you drop a reservation does it instantly become available for someone else to book? Or what happens if you accidentally cancel something could you grab it again yourself?

Just wondering how the system works and if when stalking how quick the system is.

It's instant. I often check for the dates just before canceling and again immediately after just for fun. A couple of times have figured I'd pick them up with different points if I could but had a back up just in case. I was always glad I had the backup because IMO it's been very rare for all nights to show up. The pattern I see gives me the opinion it has grabbed nights for waitlists.

I dropped a studio at BCV a few months ago for the 2nd week of December. Out of sheer curiosity, I ran a search afterward a few times for those dates over the next 45 minutes or so, and only one day of the week ever showed available. Who knows why, but that's what happened when I ran the experiment in my lab.

I don’t think the waitlist works that well.

If something doesn’t show up I’d bet it’s someone else online booking for that time scooping it up.

I don’t think the waitlist works that well.

If something doesn’t show up I’d bet it’s someone else online booking for that time scooping it up.

Being on the west coast and the times I will drop nights that immediately disappear I too think the waitlist at least at times can be that instantaneous. I don't have enough info to say if it always is but I do believe it often happens.

My experience is that the waitlist grabs them instantly.

A MS CM told me the other day that the system begins a search for matches like every 10 minutes or so. I would venture to guess that it all depends on where that is in the process, depending on the accuracy of that info!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts