Are Disney’s Water Parks in Trouble?

What if there was an IP based water park? With rides around water characters such as Nemo or Ariel.

I’ve always thought about this idea and whether it would work or not and honestly I don’t see it making sense. It’s something i think about every now and then with IPs being a focus in the theme parks today. IDK does anyone have any ideas along those lines?

We have never set foot in a Disney water park. In my eyes they are just like the mini-golf - something to else to do if you don't want to go to theme parks. :) We only go every few years, we don't want to waste a day at a water park, we'll just relax at the hotel pool if we want.

So no, I don't think they need to invest more in their water parks. Fix Future World instead please.

That’s a great point. A huge difference is the way the parks are advertised. Universal’s ads say “3 theme parks” meaning they are including VB. If Disney were to advertise this way, then we would see signs in the airport reading “6 theme parks of magic” or something along those lines, but as someone said earlier you never see Disney ads for anything aside from the 4 parks with the occasional, super rare, Disney Springs. This article is making it as if this is a huge issue and going to be trouble for Disney. Disney probably isn’t even looking at this in all honesty. Overall this was probably just a way for the Fool to get more clicks because one of their favorite things to write about seems to be overdramatic Disney v Universal stories.

We have never set foot in a Disney water park. In my eyes they are just like the mini-golf - something to else to do if you don't want to go to theme parks. :) We only go every few years, we don't want to waste a day at a water park, we'll just relax at the hotel pool if we want.

So no, I don't think they need to invest more in their water parks. Fix Future World instead please.

Neither have we (set foot in a WDW water park). We're budgeting for a Discovery Cove adventure which should be much more memorable. Now, if one of the two Orlando theme park juggernauts created a snorkeling-capable tropical lagoon, then I'd be interested.

The onsite resort pools are more than adequate for us.

What if there was an IP based water park? With rides around water characters such as Nemo or Ariel.

I’ve always thought about this idea and whether it would work or not and honestly I don’t see it making sense. It’s something i think about every now and then with IPs being a focus in the theme parks today. IDK does anyone have any ideas along those lines?

I really never thought about that angle, but am intrigued. I believe Art of Animation (Finding Nemo pool) has great theming and I thought underwater music; I am not sure about rides.

I think the X factor is Aquatica. It is rarely mentioned and keeps adding new water rides (e.g. Ray Rush). If SeaWorld keeps adding/refreshing it's Orlando water park, given a price point, would lure some guests away from WDW.

Yes! My in laws far preferred Aquatica to the Disney parks. Better rides, not as crowded, just as clean etc... It wasn't "themed" as cute as Disney, but as they said - who really cares? Their kids only care about how long they have to wait in line and how many times they can ride the slides, not what it looks like.

Attach a resort to one of them ... probably all they would need to do to boost attendance or make them "more relevant". As Great Wolf Lodge's can attest to -- some people like a "waterpark" vacation.

The issue is that the "shine" on waterparks is past. The country is flooded with them. Every major tourist spot or big city/suburb has them locally or within a few hour drive. Even most theme parks have attached huge water parks to them (included with admission!). I am shocked Universal invested as much as they did on a giant, separate waterpark.

Water Parks aren't anything special anymore due to this flood, so like the miniature golf (as someone above posted), why waste time on an already expensive vacation doing something you can do "back home" or on another vacation for a fraction of the cost. Spend the time doing things you can't do back home -- like going to the Theme Parks.

I personally have never had interest in going to them, but even at their current levels, I am sure they help spread out the crowds.

Definitely agree with this. Take Santa's Village in New Hampshire - small (uncrowded, very clean) theme park, has a great water park attached with 3 large slides, then a huge water attraction thing with oodles of splash zones, 3 more smaller water slides, splash pad, a restaurant and ice cream bar etc... The water park is included with admission, which is only $33 for the day. And if you arrive 3 hours before close, you get in the next day free. Or, you can get a season pass for only $75 I believe.

My family use to go all the time and loved renting the cabanas but since they changed the bus routes and now you need to transfer going to and from the parks we have not gone back. Unless they make it a better option and lower travel time, will not be going back. Just will stay at the resort pool as I Just don't care to be in a wet suit or even shower and change at the parks for the commute.

I’ve mentioned before an IP based water park just seems tacked on, but if we get the effort as shown in miss adventure falls I can see it being worthwhile and not tacky so to speak

So let's see if I get this: according to the article, Disney's Orlando parks had double the growth in percentage attendance in comparison to the Universal parks in 2017 (which is even more eye-popping since the Disney parks already have more than double the attendance of the Universal parks in headcount). Disney's waterparks, while down in attendance, drew in about 4 million visitors compared to Volcano Bay's 1.5 million (partial year). Disney beat Comcast in the battle to acquire Fox and has some substantial new additions debuting soon. So the obvious story is: Disney BETTER step up its water park game to compete!

Are we sure that Disney even cares about the water park "war" here? It's always seemed that Disney treated the water parks like it's approach to thrill rides - it could do them and do them well when it wanted, but it's happy to let other parks battle it out for those specialty markets. Maybe the article's author can do another piece next week about how Disney is losing the coaster "war" to Cedar Fair by not coming up with an immediate answer to Steel Vengeance.

It's not mentioned in the article, but Aquatica's attendance was down 10% last year - more than the Disney water parks. Maybe a more interesting story would've been whether Volcano Bay cannibalized the water park market in Orlando and how that might not be good news long term for Volcano Bay or any of its competitors looking for growth (and additional reason for Disney not to double down on the water parks).

Moana themed? All sort of South Pacific themeing with a raft ride and stuff?

So let's see if I get this: according to the article, Disney's Orlando parks had double the growth in percentage attendance in comparison to the Universal parks in 2017 (which is even more eye-popping since the Disney parks already have more than double the attendance of the Universal parks in headcount). Disney's waterparks, while down in attendance, drew in about 4 million visitors compared to Volcano Bay's 1.5 million (partial year). Disney beat Comcast in the battle to acquire Fox and has some substantial new additions debuting soon. So the obvious story is: Disney BETTER step up its water park game to compete!

Are we sure that Disney even cares about the water park "war" here? It's always seemed that Disney treated the water parks like it's approach to thrill rides - it could do them and do them well when it wanted, but it's happy to let other parks battle it out for those specialty markets. Maybe the article's author can do another piece next week about how Disney is losing the coaster "war" to Cedar Fair by not coming up with an immediate answer to Steel Vengeance.

It's not mentioned in the article, but Aquatica's attendance was down 10% last year - more than the Disney water parks. Maybe a more interesting story would've been whether Volcano Bay cannibalized the water park market in Orlando and how that might not be good news long term for Volcano Bay or any of its competitors looking for growth (and additional reason for Disney not to double down on the water parks).

I think one needs to look at the purpose of the Water Parks - Disney’s main goal is to get people to take Magical Express from the airport and never leave property until they go back to the airport

The Water Parks give options to guests interested in a water park to not have to leave property and can get there using Disney transportation

Volcano Bay is built to further promote staying on Universal Property and they a visit there is more than just coming over for a day but a destination itself. Also increases value of annual passes for locals

Something like Aquatica I think is trying to be a draw in and of itself to get people to visit for the day

Attendance numbers to a water park doesn't necessarily equate to net profit. If you can squeeze more money per paying guest, then you might have a desirable scenario.....less crowds and a higher profit park (not even addressing purchasing leverage options). I think this is the play for Aquatica and certainly extends to Discovery Cove.

As a PP stated above, will the guest experience remember the theming or how many rides they could go on/enjoy with smaller crowds? I guess it depends on the guests' expectations.

It's a Motley Fool article. I don't even need to click on it any more to know its going to be trashing Disney.

I think you are correct in all of this. Disney seems to treat the water parks as more of an amenity than an attendance driver. They are try to extend out a vacation a day or two from someone already coming to Disney and staying on-site rather than trying to get new visitors. Water Parks have always been more of a locals attraction around the country. If you are within driving distance of a good one, its great but you are not planning a vacation to go. The water park market in Orlando is pretty static. VB will need to attract locals if it wants to recoup its investment.

My family use to go all the time and loved renting the cabanas but since they changed the bus routes and now you need to transfer going to and from the parks we have not gone back. Unless they make it a better option and lower travel time, will not be going back. Just will stay at the resort pool as I Just don't care to be in a wet suit or even shower and change at the parks for the commute.

Yes, the bus routes to the WPs are definitely a deterrent. We typically drive but enjoy using the busses. However, no way would I take a bus to the WPs. I wonder how much of an impact that change alone has had on attendance?

Yes, the bus routes to the WPs are definitely a deterrent. We typically drive but enjoy using the busses. However, no way would I take a bus to the WPs. I wonder how much of an impact that change alone has had on attendance?
We would have visited the WP more this past trip had it not been for the bus transfer. Would think that they would make direct trips during the summer at least

I think one needs to look at the purpose of the Water Parks - Disney’s main goal is to get people to take Magical Express from the airport and never leave property until they go back to the airport
I agree - Volcano Bay and Disney's waterparks may be some of the best-themed around, but they still play second fiddle to overall strategy with theme parks and resorts - another incentive to stay in the bubble (whichever one someone chooses).
I think you are correct in all of this. Disney seems to treat the water parks as more of an amenity than an attendance driver. They are try to extend out a vacation a day or two from someone already coming to Disney and staying on-site rather than trying to get new visitors. Water Parks have always been more of a locals attraction around the country. If you are within driving distance of a good one, its great but you are not planning a vacation to go. The water park market in Orlando is pretty static. VB will need to attract locals if it wants to recoup its investment.
The attendance by locals made me wonder about the declines at the other big Orlando water parks - VB clocked in at 1.5 million guests, while TL/BB/Aquatica collectively lost over 400,000 guests on the year. I might think differently about a water park war if all the water parks had increasing numbers - but it seems more like they may be fighting over different sized pieces of the same pie.

Have to agree with the PPs who suggested that the money may be better spent on the theme parks than new and/or improved water parks. I know that it's apples to oranges, but consider that Pandora and Volcano Bay opened about the same time, cost about the same amount of money ($500-600 million), and, at the end of the year, VB had taken in about 1.5 million guests while AK's guest attendance numbers increased by about 1.5 million. On the one hand, you could say that Disney could've built a substantial rival to VB instead of only building a heavily-themed mini-land with two rides. On the other hand, you could say that Universal built a substantial, heavily-themed water park that only performed about as well as a mini-land in AK with two rides.

I do have to question what Disney wants out of their water parks. By far, we love Typhoon Lagoon. But, we were disappointed with the loss of the shark reef. The addition of the new ride, Miss Adventure Falls, is nice but comes nowhere close to that loss. Last summer, we went to Blizzard Beach and there wasn't enough water pressure to run most of the slides. We left after 3 hours and only got to do their Lazy river and the chair lift.

We're at Schilterbaun now but would easily have gone to Florida had we been able to get a better water park experience. Disney can do better.

I super miss the shark reef!!! It was amazing!!

I have ZERO desire to go to VB. Looks like a hot mess to me and friends have said what a nightmare the wait line system is. I’m quite happy with the Disney water parks. They seem to be adding a lot of new features and offers - like the Glow Nights!!

I don’t see them going anywhere

I think the X factor is Aquatica. It is rarely mentioned and keeps adding new water rides (e.g. Ray Rush). If SeaWorld keeps adding/refreshing it's Orlando water park, given a price point, would lure some guests away from WDW.

Totally forgot about Aquatica in this discussion, you are SO right! And wasn't it voted best water park in the country this year?

We're at Schilterbaun now but would easily have gone to Florida had we been able to get a better water park experience. Disney can do better.

Disney also doesn't have any management currently being charged with murder due to the design and operation of their parks...

I've been to a far number of water parks. I'd never really go way out of my way for one, though. I think Disney's are great for what they are. I like to get there early and stay until 2 or 3 then head in to a TP. The smoothness of their operation makes them a much better experience than most WP by itself. Having to wait 15 feet away from the slide, until the previous person is completely off the bottom, drives me nuts and makes lines so much slower.

Last edited:
We love the Disney water parks and I’d like to go to VB once things aren’t so crazy. Our area (CA coast) doesn’t have a lot of water parks and the ones we do have are terrible compared to Disney’s! It’s a treat for us to do them when we’re in FL. Even my parents loved them! They are kind of a draw for us.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter