Are most AP holders Signature Plus?

twodogs

DIS Veteran
I am looking at blackout calendars for our trip (1/2-1/6) and all passes are blocked out except Signature Plus. That sounds like lower crowds to me, but then I wondered what percentage of locals have the Signature Plus AP (most expensive, no black outs) versus the other types of AP with blackouts? Anyone know?

My guess is that the most common AP is not the Signature Plus because of the cost. So, while there may be less AP holders in the park, I think Disney is expecting there to be enough "tourists" visiting the parks to make up for any differences in attendance. While it does seem like crowds can be lower (not low, but lower) when more APs are blocked, I would still go with expectation of pretty good sized crowds. Many school districts throughout the West Coast seem to be off through 1/6, so there are probably plenty of people still traveling (and visiting DLR).

That’s a high tourist time so it will be VERY crowded.

And Signature plus isn’t that common, but I’m sure a lot of people out there still have it. I’m the only one in my immediate friend group that has one, while everyone else has Signature..one has a SoCal pass.

There are a lot of Signature Plus pass holders there but most of the people during Christmas are locals with regular tickets.

There are a lot of Signature Plus pass holders there but most of the people during Christmas are locals with regular tickets.
Actually, that hasn't been my experience. What I tend to see is a high number of tourists who are taking the family as a Christmas present, out of country tourists, and a lot of ROse Bowl parade/tourists, but few locals. It is very easy to spot the differences when you people watch. Yes, we will be there Dec 22-Jan 4th. We are each year (except last year, only Dec 22-26 last year.) And we will have fun and ride very few rides.

ETA - With it being the Huskeys and Buckeyes, expect large crowds. Add the parade groups coming from around the world, it will be fun!

Based on my informal observations, my guess is that the majority of AP holders are Southern California and Deluxe.
This is my general belief as well, considering the lower passes have more black outs. Crowd control would dictate that you first block out the AP with the most population attached, which would mean the cheapest passes when tourists would be making up the capacity difference.

Thanks all! You are always so informative. It sounds like we are in for big crowds either way, as expected always at DLR... I was just having some wishful thinking there I guess about the AP blackouts. I did find it interesting that I can still book any room at GCH for my dates other than suites, so regular rooms are still available. That gave me a little hope too about the tourists, but I guess that was being a little optimistic! We will have MP and go to DLR and WDW several times per year, so it is not a crisis if we can’t ride it all. We were there for Halloween time last year and survived so we will have a great time no matter what. Thanks again for all your thoughtful insights.

Thanks all! You are always so informative. It sounds like we are in for big crowds either way, as expected always at DLR... I was just having some wishful thinking there I guess about the AP blackouts.
Your dates aren't as bad as the week before. And the difference in the crowds will be something. While have large crowds of APs may sound bad, at least most APs know where the bathrooms are, where various rides are, and rarely need maps, the fun part of a 80% tourist time is no one knows where they are going, they suddenly stop to pull out a map, and they keep looking for California Screamin' in Disneyland.... Most of the time, I try to help where I can, but sometimes I just have to close my mouth and go around them. I assume I looked like them in WDW last year....

Your dates aren't as bad as the week before. And the difference in the crowds will be something. While have large crowds of APs may sound bad, at least most APs know where the bathrooms are, where various rides are, and rarely need maps, the fun part of a 80% tourist time is no one knows where they are going, they suddenly stop to pull out a map, and they keep looking for California Screamin' in Disneyland.... Most of the time, I try to help where I can, but sometimes I just have to close my mouth and go around them. I assume I looked like them in WDW last year....
I hate how “tourist” I look in WDW with my various park maps lol!

The 80% tourist time is a SWEET time to visit! We went the week before Xmas last year and the low level passes were blocked out & most people we talked to it was actually their first time in the park. The Mint Julep Bar was back to tucked away status with only a couple people in line! We got to the monorail and people walked right past the first gate! (Once we were let into the station in Tomorrowland, the park was freaking packed). And that extra excitement you hear in someone’s voice when they tell you they’re on their first visit to DLR- it was so fun! For the first time in years we vets were the odd ones out & it was a blast :)

not local, I'm 400 miles away. I have the Signature pass. I think in 60 years I have gone to Disneyland maybe once during the Christmas/New Years blackout period.

We are excited for it no matter what! I will try to report back on the crowds just for fun. Happy holidays to all and thanks for the great advice as always!

We are in AZ and have Signature passes, but last holiday season we were lucky enough to have a Premier pass and went December 22-24th and it was awesome. We went in early December this year as I have surgery scheduled for Monday the 17th and will be out of action for 3-4 weeks. We typically like to go during major blockout dates as the mornings are awesome and we get so much done. The real difference between sig and sig + is the two weeks around Christmas and the New Year. My surgery actually saved us money... Now that's Disney math....
Mike

Signature AP here, as I know how crazy the parks are during Christmas and I don’t want to be there with those mobs. Most locals seem to avoid the parks during that time unless they have family from out of town visiting. Plus that’s $150 more for 2 1/2 weeks. No thanks.

Locals with Signature passes here and we purposely get them so we CAN AVOID the 2 weeks of Christmas vacation ! :teacher: We are home to celebrate the holidays EXCEPT when we choose to go to WDW for a 2 week Christmas vacay! :rolleyes: We have not traveled back there in almost 3 years though. :sad1:
Really do miss WDW holiday time !! :love:

Signature but don't get to visit anywhere near as often as I want to. I am thinking about upgrading to be able to go this coming Sunday. It would be worth it to me to pay $150 for one day considering that I just don't get to visit as often as I want to.

We're about an hour and a half away and have Signatures. I have no desire to go the week between Christmas and New Year's. Too crazy for me. I've already been 3 times this Christmas season, so I think I'm good.
I did go once 2 days after Christmas, because family was in town that had never been and that was the only time they could go. Never again! :)

I have the signature plus and have had it or the premier since they did away with the premium. I typically go at least twice during the signature blockout period and given that max pass is included that also factors into why I have that particular pass.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!