Are people still smoking on their verandahs?

Status
Not open for further replies.
A couple of years ago, we did have a neighbor that smoked on his verandah. We smelled it the first couple of times we went out on our verandah but wasn't sure exactly which cabin it was coming from. On the second afternoon, we were sitting out there and he came out and lit up. We could see him as he was leaning over the rail. We very nicely asked if he knew smoking wasn't allowed on verandahs. He screamed and cursed at us (it was a two week trip - heard him screaming and cursing at his wife and children non-stop throughout the trip - pleasant man!) I figured I tried to be nice so I called Guest Services. Heard his phone ring almost immediately - yep screaming and cursing and after he hung up screaming at us through the wall. My stateroom host thanked me for calling the next day, said they were definitely charging him the $250 cleaning fee. I'm glad the neighbor knew it was us that reported him so he didn't hold it against the Stateroom host.

Sorry to hear this. You did the right thing. If you are like me, a Disney Cruise cost too much money not to be able to enjoy what you paid for.....not one should be able to interrupt your time, and activities, breaking rules like this.

When I was growing up, smoking was legal everywhere. I do not recall it ever being an issue. It seems in the last 20-25 years, everyone has become super sensitive to cigarette smoking. Not sure what happened in the last generation to cause this super sensitivity. I do not smoke, so whether it's permitted or not doesn't matter to me either way. I will say that if adults around me do decide to smoke, it doesn't bother me, especially in a bar where I have an expectation of smoking and drinking. I suspect that once smoking has been eradicated either by law or excessive taxation, they'll move on to alcohol, McDonalds, profane language or whatever else twitter has deemed hazardous. There will be replies like "it smells" or "it makes me sick" or "I'm allergic". It's strange to me how those who claim that about smoking somehow have no problem getting a cabin on deck 2 that smells like sewage or living in a metro area where you can literally see the air you're breathing. It's selective outrage at an easy target. For years smoking was permitted on DCL verandas and somehow everyone got by.

Did the guy smoke out there again? If he did I hope you reported him each time and he was fined every time!!

If he went out there to smoke again, he did it while we weren't around because we did get to use and enjoy our balcony smoke free for the rest of the trip (it just wasn't always peaceful with his yelling). I think Guest Services acted by telephone because they already knew this guy was a problem. Our Stateroom Host did say they they did the deep cleaning after our complaint so they were billed the $250 and would be billed again if their cabin smelled like smoke again.

I always try to be polite when confronting someone who is smoking in an area where they shouldn't be. There are times where it is just a matter of the person not knowing the rules or where they are supposed to go. But once they start getting snippy or even mean about it, I don't hesitate to turn it over to guest services. As others have said, on a ship its not just a matter of comfort but of safety as well. I don't like to pull the Stateroom Host into it because they work for tips and I don't want my complaint to end up costing them money. If the Housekeeping Supervisor was readily available, that would be an option but typically they are not easily found without going through Guest Services anyway.

When I was growing up, smoking was legal everywhere. I do not recall it ever being an issue. It seems in the last 20-25 years, everyone has become super sensitive to cigarette smoking. Not sure what happened in the last generation to cause this super sensitivity. I do not smoke, so whether it's permitted or not doesn't matter to me either way. I will say that if adults around me do decide to smoke, it doesn't bother me, especially in a bar where I have an expectation of smoking and drinking. I suspect that once smoking has been eradicated either by law or excessive taxation, they'll move on to alcohol, McDonalds, profane language or whatever else twitter has deemed hazardous. There will be replies like "it smells" or "it makes me sick" or "I'm allergic". It's strange to me how those who claim that about smoking somehow have no problem getting a cabin on deck 2 that smells like sewage or living in a metro area where you can literally see the air you're breathing. It's selective outrage at an easy target. For years smoking was permitted on DCL verandas and somehow everyone got by.

FWIW, just got off the Wonder and was on Deck 2 and never sniffed a whiff of sewage.

My dd has asthma. McDonalds and profane language won't affect her health and send her to the hospital for breathing treatments, being around smoking will. Just because smoking was allowed in public places years ago, doesn't mean it was right or we should have to deal with it now. I've also stayed on deck 2 for 4 cruises and have never smelled sewage in our cabin btw. There are places on the ship for those who smoke to go, so it's not like they aren't allowed to smoke at all. I don't want to smell or be around smoke so I avoid those areas. People who pay extra money for a verandah should be able to enjoy it without someone else ruining it because they want to break the rules. We never get verandah cabins because we don't spend much time in our cabin anyway, but if we did I'd want to be able to enjoy it. I'm also old enough to remember when smoking was allowed everywhere. I worked as a waitress in high school/college and always hated whenever I had to work in the smoking area of the restaurant, knew I'd have a head ache for the rest of the night.

Last edited:

I'm fairly certain that science and the medical community had deemed smoking hazardous well before the existence of Twitter.

If he went out there to smoke again, he did it while we weren't around because we did get to use and enjoy our balcony smoke free for the rest of the trip (it just wasn't always peaceful with his yelling). I think Guest Services acted by telephone because they already knew this guy was a problem. Our Stateroom Host did say they they did the deep cleaning after our complaint so they were billed the $250 and would be billed again if their cabin smelled like smoke again.

I always try to be polite when confronting someone who is smoking in an area where they shouldn't be. There are times where it is just a matter of the person not knowing the rules or where they are supposed to go. But once they start getting snippy or even mean about it, I don't hesitate to turn it over to guest services. As others have said, on a ship its not just a matter of comfort but of safety as well. I don't like to pull the Stateroom Host into it because they work for tips and I don't want my complaint to end up costing them money. If the Housekeeping Supervisor was readily available, that would be an option but typically they are not easily found without going through Guest Services anyway.

Glad you weren't bothered by it again. I didn't know if they did the cleaning during or after the cruise, makes sense they would do it during so they'd be able to tell if he smoked again.

Asthma rates went up. By a lot. The experts/researchers also don't know why. That's usually what people mean when they say they're allergic to it. It's also "ickier" since we've been stressing its link to cancer for so long. Lots of today's parents were raised knowing that from day 1. In my case my grandfather smoked constantly when I was growing up and I was over there every day... didn't bug me until l stopped going over so often. Then it was REALLY noticeable when I wasn't there all the time. Your smell and taste improve when you aren't around it. Then I developed migraines at 17. Now I've identified it as a trigger. Maybe if smoke was still everywhere I wouldn't have been able to figure that out and I'd just be miserable more often? You are very lucky that smoke doesn't bug you - I dearly wish I never got migraines.

My mother and I live in a complex that didn't go smoke free until 2015. From 2012 to 2015 we had chain smokers living under us on the floor below. My mother who was almost in her 80's had to be transported to the hospital for asthma she hadn't had since she was 30 years old. The 2 women below us moved out when the smoking ban went into affect. Now for the last 4 years my mother who is turning 86 in June has to take asthma treatments everyday. She also has to take an inhaler multiple times a day and inhaled steroid every evening. My mother was very active until the effects of the smokers below us started. She was in the hospital in 2017 for a week with acute bronchitis, infections in her airways and very bad asthma. In 2018 she almost died and was in the hospital and an elderly rehab for a month for the flu, a respiratory infection and extremely bad asthma. If the complex we live in hadn't gone smoke free I think my mother would be dead. I thank God that they banned smoking in so many places. When I saw the person who is one of the most important people in my world so sick she can barely walk 2 steps it scared me so much. I can tell you those women who smoked below didn't care one bit that my mother went to the hospital. She now is mostly house bound and has a hard time getting out to go to holidays and if she wants to go shopping she has to be in bed for 2 or 3 days afterward. Like I said she was very active before all this happened now she has to stay home when she'd rather be out and often misses out on things she would like to do. I feel so sorry for her. It's a real shame that 2 people with no regard for anyone or anything were allowed to ruin my mothers life.

My dd has asthma
I'm sorry she has asthma but do we do away tree pollen, animals, cleaning chemicals and even plastics which trigger asthma symptoms? Do we do away with food with nuts because of peanut allergies, do we do way with pools for those who can't swim, do we do away with bread because of gluten or dairy because of lactose? Do we do away with aircraft and vehicles because their exhaust pollutes the air? Smoking has been permitted on DCL verandas for most of DCL existence. How did all those with asthma get by for those 15 years it was permitted?

I'm fairly certain that science and the medical community had deemed smoking hazardous
I'm fairly certain the science community has deemed alcohol and McD's hazardous as well but how many would walk by someone being overserved at a bar but only speak up if they lit a cigarette? I assure you the person that has been overserved alcohol is more of a danger to you and your family than the cigarette they are holding. But hey, we will overlook drunk vomiting on the elevator as long as there is no smoking on the verandas, right?

This is the last I will comment or reply on the matter because it will cause the usual anti-smoking rhetoric that we have been force fed in the US over the last generation. The ironic part is that I do not even smoke. I do support the freedom for any adult who choses to smoke to do so just as I support their ability to consume alcohol. I don't subscribe to the hypocritical argument that smoking harms other non-smokers but overlook how alcohol consumption harms others who don't partake. Many, many things we do in everyday life harms others but it's just not the easy target that smoking is.

FWIW, just got off the Wonder and was on Deck 2 and never sniffed a whiff of sewage.

Whew. First time cruiser here - have a reservation for Deck 2 on the Magic in June. No one ever mentioned a sewage smell! :)

Smoking has been permitted on DCL verandas for most of DCL existence. How did all those with asthma get by for those 15 years it was permitted?

They probably suffered in silence, is my guess.

Regardless, I don't understand the debate. It was permitted for many years on DCL. Now it's not. When people sign up for the cruise, they presumably know that (or should). If they're doing something that is not permitted and it is disturbing other people, they're in the wrong, and they should stop.

I'm sorry she has asthma but do we do away tree pollen, animals, cleaning chemicals and even plastics which trigger asthma symptoms? Do we do away with food with nuts because of peanut allergies, do we do way with pools for those who can't swim, do we do away with bread because of gluten or dairy because of lactose? Do we do away with aircraft and vehicles because their exhaust pollutes the air? Smoking has been permitted on DCL verandas for most of DCL existence. How did all those with asthma get by for those 15 years it was permitted?

I'm fairly certain the science community has deemed alcohol and McD's hazardous as well but how many would walk by someone being overserved at a bar but only speak up if they lit a cigarette? I assure you the person that has been overserved alcohol is more of a danger to you and your family than the cigarette they are holding. But hey, we will overlook drunk vomiting on the elevator as long as there is no smoking on the verandas, right?

This is the last I will comment or reply on the matter because it will cause the usual anti-smoking rhetoric that we have been force fed in the US over the last generation. The ironic part is that I do not even smoke. I do support the freedom for any adult who choses to smoke to do so just as I support their ability to consume alcohol. I don't subscribe to the hypocritical argument that smoking harms other non-smokers but overlook how alcohol consumption harms others who don't partake. Many, many things we do in everyday life harms others but it's just not the easy target that smoking is.

Sorry, but I don't know why you are bring up the examples that you are. My dd's school and many schools are nut free because of the rise in allergies. If someone can't swim then stay out of a pool or make sure you are always with others who can, that's what my mom did because she never learned to swim. There are also gluten free foods now and lactose free dairy products for those who need them. You can also buy earth friendly products. If given a choice of buying something made of plastic or glass, I buy the glass product. I don't have a problem with people smoking if they chose to, I just don't want to be around it in places that it's not allowed. My own sister is a smoker. She started in high school and is stupid enough to think that 40 years late she is able to hide it from everyone. When she developes cancer I won't feel bad for her, she chose to kill herself by doing it. No one else in our family smokes, so it's not like we were raised around it thinking it was OK, because we weren't. This thread was about someone breaking a Disney rule, not about smoking or drinking or any of your other examples. I do agree with you that if an adult wants to smoke or drink then they should be able to do so. However if I don't want to be around it then I shouldn't have to, which is what this thread is about. Not doing away with it everywhere else.

Whew. First time cruiser here - have a reservation for Deck 2 on the Magic in June. No one ever mentioned a sewage smell! :)

Some times there can be a smell in the cabin. It has to do with some type of plumbing trap getting dried out. Not really sure what kind of trap it is, but have read about it on here. Hopefully someone who knows more will comment. You can pour some water down the drains (again, not entirely sure where you pour the water, guessing the tub and sinks??) and the smell will go away. We've stayed on deck 2 on the Magic, Wonder, and Fantasy and have never smelled anything like sewage or anything else that's bad.

:worship:

Eight cruises and had first smoke situation on Wonder in January. They were flicking ashes onto the railing next to us. I stepped into the hallway and brought it to the attention of a crew member who got on the horn to guest services. That put a stop to it.

you're my favorite person on this forum today.
I applaud your clarity and I have much respect to you, especially for being a non-smoker.
I am an occasional smoker and I enjoy a smoke or two a day (pipe, not cigarettes) after meals. I'm always mindful of ppl around me when I smoke. If someone tells me it bothers them, I put it out immediately, so I try to be as conscious as possible. At home I always smoke outside even if its freezing (which is half the year)
I was lucky to sail in a couple of DCL cruises (2012/13) when it was still allowed to smoke in the verandah. I smoked ONLY if there was no one on either side of the verandah, and I even briefly popped my head into my neighbors verandah to make sure their door was closed. If it was open I didn't smoke.

You said it best: selective outrage.

Its funny to me how those who complain about smoke "wafting" all the way from the fwd section of the ship to the aft don't say a word about the smell of diesel coming out of the ship's funnel. Or those who complain about allergies given by 2nd hand smoke but are totally OK when driving in front of other vehicles. Those allergies are quite selective. the fumes coming out of other cars are totally harmless to them apparently.

Anyway, thank you for being a rational person, an endangered species nowadays no doubt.

You're very lucky that you have never had to deal with not being able to take a deep full breath. Lucky you never feared you would die because you couldn't breathe. If you did I'm sure you'd feel differently.

you're my favorite person on this forum today.
I applaud your clarity and I have much respect to you, especially for being a non-smoker.
I am an occasional smoker and I enjoy a smoke or two a day (pipe, not cigarettes) after meals. I'm always mindful of ppl around me when I smoke. If someone tells me it bothers them, I put it out immediately, so I try to be as conscious as possible. At home I always smoke outside even if its freezing (which is half the year)
I was lucky to sail in a couple of DCL cruises (2012/13) when it was still allowed to smoke in the verandah. I smoked ONLY if there was no one on either side of the verandah, and I even briefly popped my head into my neighbors verandah to make sure their door was closed. If it was open I didn't smoke.

You said it best: selective outrage.

Its funny to me how those who complain about smoke "wafting" all the way from the fwd section of the ship to the aft don't say a word about the smell of diesel coming out of the ship's funnel. Or those who complain about allergies given by 2nd hand smoke but are totally OK when driving in front of other vehicles. Those allergies are quite selective. the fumes coming out of other cars are totally harmless to them apparently.

Anyway, thank you for being a rational person, an endangered species nowadays no doubt.

Allergies are funny in that just because you react to one thing - an allergen for you - you do not to another - a non-allergen for you.

Like how I am allergic to peanuts but not almonds.

Or some people are allergic to shellfish but not other things that swim.

One theory as to why allergies are more prevalent is how sterile we keep everything now and how indoors we tend to be. Kids don’t get the chance to build up a defense system. (Ditto why people tend to get more colds and such and they are more severe - much lower built-up immunity.)

As to why people complain more when they smell it? Probably because since fewer places allow it and the stench that did permeate places has been removed with repainting, etc. we notice it much more. Which, yes. Is a catch-22 I realize.

You're very lucky that you have never had to deal with not being able to take a deep full breath. Lucky you never feared you would die because you couldn't breathe. If you did I'm sure you'd feel differently.

How can a person that claims is about to die because he/she can't breathe due to smokers go outside at all?
Because a motor vehicle emits around 100 parts per million (ppm) particles of carbon monoxide (CO) per KM. That's 1 car. Imagine being stuck in traffic.
An entire pack of cigarettes (20 cigarettes!!) emits around 20 ppm of CO, which is mostly absorbed by the smoker. (and yes, some goes to SHS)
How does a person who claim can't breathe near a smoker can do so effortlessly behind a car, walk on the streets? Even be on a cruise ship, given that the ship's funnel generates orders of magnitude more ppm of CO than smokers. I don't get it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter