Are separate handicap entrances left?

3DisneyBuggs

DIS Veteran
I usually get a DAS for invisible disability but this trip I will most likely need a wheelchair or if brave an ecv. Do I still need the DAs or is there a handicap entrance. I dont mind waiting just not in a large crowded line.

I usually get a DAS for invisible disability but this trip I will most likely need a wheelchair or if brave an ecv. Do I still need the DAs or is there a handicap entrance. I dont mind waiting just not in a large crowded line.
for most rides wheelchairs/ECVs use the same line as people walking no separate entrance

Pretty sure that none of us like waiting in a large, crowded line... But, as @Betty Rohrer said above, almost all of the lines are "mainstreamed" now.

Successful strategies to cope with lines typically revolve around the "bubble" concept: If you are in a wheelchair or ECV, you lead your group into the queue, and create a "bubble" in front of you to make a small amount of space, and then the rest of your group can form a buffer behind you as well. Don't be that person that tries to create a HUGE space - while no one likes being crammed together, it can cause frustration in those behind you to see a giant gap forming for what they think is no reason other than you not paying attention and moving forward. Everyone wants to get on the ride, right? :)

Remember that DAS is often not given when the Guest is best served by a mobility device, so don't be surprised if you ask and are denied, unless you have some other reason why you can't wait in line.

For me, using a ECV (mostly) solves my "getting around the park without too much significant pain and impairing/incapacitating mobility issues" problem. But it does NOT solve my "need to wait somewhere other than the standby line" problems. So even though I use an ECV, I still get a DAS.

A tip I was given soon after DAS first came out, which I have used each time I have gone to get a DAS [can't confirm if it is actually necessary or not]: sometimes the CMs will "tunnel vision" on the guest's ECV and not actually "hear" the non-mobility needs that justify a DAS, and then they refuse a DAS. Since I can walk [just not longer distances like at WDW], I park my ECV near guest services and walk in to request the DAS. That way the focus is on the explanation of needs I am giving.

OP, you will have to decide if the ECV, especially using things like the bubble trick mamabunny suggested, resolves enough of the reasons you need the DAS for. If it does, great, no DAS needed. If not, then have the conversation with guest services to request the DAS and see what they say. If they bring up that you have an ECV, be prepared to clearly articulate how it helps with some needs but these other needs it still does not help with, etc.

SW

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter