Are split stays complicated?

StitchesGr8Fan

DIS Veteran
We are considering doing a direct add-on at some point in the future. Since we own CCV resale, we know that by the time we purchase more points CCV will be gone.

If we buy at some other resort, how hard is it to do a split stay? I understand dining reservations would have 2 different start days. How about transferring luggage? Other considerations?

It can be complicated if you want the dining plan for your entire stay. We've done split stays a lot and it's never been too hard. Our biggest worry has been making sure they keep refrigerated bags cold. One time they forgot a bag and we had to go back and get it. But they will transfer bags for you.

It can be complicated if you want the dining plan for your entire stay. We've done split stays a lot and it's never been too hard. Our biggest worry has been making sure they keep refrigerated bags cold. One time they forgot a bag and we had to go back and get it. But they will transfer bags for you.
Thanks! We don’t like the dining plan. It doesn’t work for the way we eat, so that isn’t a concern.

We liked to stay in one or two bedrooms, and make at least one meal a day in our villa. Split stays meant we had to be a little more careful buying groceries so we didn't have to move too much, but it was generally fine. We usually rented a car and transferred the luggage ourselves.

I've done a split between BCV and BLT. We don't do the dining plan so I can't address that...but we packed up our groceries and labeled anything that had to be refrigerated. Bell services took everything and it worked great!

We have gotten so we don't care to have another check in once we settle into a room, it feels like we are homeless that day until the room is available. We often return to the resort for an afternoon break and inevitably the day we move is when the crowds are overwhelming or the heat is unbearable. Since we prefer not to live out of our suitcases we unpack our bags and that means we will be spending a number of hours packing up the room for the move and checking again the morning of the move that nothing was forgotten.

Other than being homeless for a number of hours there really isn't that big of a deal. You will need to tip Bell Services for moving the luggage unless you have a car to store everything out of sight in the trunk.

Bell services help with all the logistics of moving the bags. You'll still need to pack and unpack, only you know if this is something that might annoy you. I don't mind living out of a suitcase and since I travel by plane, I still pack my carry on bag with everything I need the first 4 nights (in case checked in baggage is lost or delayed). So I don't even unpack the second bag. Then at the second at third resort I use the second bag.
Sure, there is some invoncenience, but checking on the app you can know when the room is ready and leave the park only then. Planning a sit down lunch also helps on switch day. Or you can pack a swimsuit in a backpack and head straight to the pool.
I love split stays because so I can stay near the park(s) I plan to visit in each leg of my stay. But I stay 12 nights, my minimum is 3 nights at each resort.

We personally don’t like them just because we like to really settle in once we get there and the packing & moving can tend to make even longer vacations feel much shorter, but we have had to do them in the past and they really do make them as easy & hassle-free as possible. The biggest issue in our experience really is just not having anywhere to go back to for the day of the move, especially with younger children.

I have done split stays a few times. I plan to do one this next trip.
I like trying a new hotel without committing the whole trip to it.
The downside for me is carrying more stuff with me for the day: especially anything I would normally leave in the safe.

The only problem I have encountered was mostly my fault: I once arrived at the second hotel quite late, then asked bell services to bring my luggage. They were backed up, and my luggage came after my children fell asleep. I will ask for my luggage at check in on this next trip.

I always only stay at the first hotel for 1-2 nights, so only buy non perishable food, then put it in empty carryons for the transfer. I only get stuff for breakfast and snacks in the room though.

I've only done split stays when I stay at WDW. A few days at AKV, about six days at BCV, and a week at BLT. We get Bell Services to pick up the luggage at each resort, mark which needs to be refrigerated and tip well :) We go off to a park and when we are done, we head to the new resort, check in at the front desk (don't like online check in and we don't put a credit card on file) and let them know we have luggage that needs to be brought to our room.

We are considering doing a direct add-on at some point in the future. Since we own CCV resale, we know that by the time we purchase more points CCV will be gone.

If we buy at some other resort, how hard is it to do a split stay? I understand dining reservations would have 2 different start days. How about transferring luggage? Other considerations?
We almost always do split stays by choice because we love being at both the MK and EPCOT resort areas for easy access to parks and dining venues. Some tips... when I pack I do one large suitcase for 3 days at one resort, one for 4 days at the second and a third suitcase to hold items we need at both (toiletry bags, cosmetics, sandals, hats, pool bag, electronic wires, etc. That way I'm not unpacking everything. On transfer day we get up early, call bell services to have our luggage shipped to the next resort and then check-out in person (to avoid magic band issues and check-in problems). We usually head to a park or Disney Springs thereby not wasting time waiting for a room to be ready. Try a split stay and decide if it works for you!

Split stays at WDW are extremely uncomplicated, compared to most travel.

Our family took a trip to Ireland once, where we drove around and stayed in 6 different bed and breakfast places, in 6 different cities, over an 8 day period. Every morning we needed to pack up, drive to the next city, see some sights, and then check in at the new B&B, and none of them were associated with each other.

We recently took a trip to the Mediterranean. Over a 10 day period, we stayed in Barcelona, Rome, Florence, Genoa, Paris, and then back to Barcelona. We took public transportation and had to handle all our own baggage, including getting it all onto the taxis with us. Since there were 12 of us, we needed 3 taxis or Ubers to go anywhere. And we also sometimes used the trains and subways. At one point 4 of us were walking down La Rambla at 1:30 in the morning, pulling our suitcases behind us for over a mile. And one time we had to haul all our suitcases about 1/2 mile in a pouring rain, from the subway station to our hotel, since all the taxi drivers were on strike.

So, how hard can it be to do a SPLIT STAY at WDW? Anyone who complains about that or says that it is too hard is SPOILED.

For a split stay at WDW, what do you do? You pack up your suitcases on the day you change resorts. You call Bell Services to come pick them up, and you gave them a $10 tip and tell them which resort you will be going to. You go onto your phone or online and check in at your new hotel. You get on the bus and go to the park. When you come back in late afternoon, you finish check-in, go to your room, and call Bell Services to bring your stuff up. IF YOU HAVE GROCERIES OR FROZEN THINGS, THEY WILL EVEN TAKE CARE OF THAT.

Let's face it, guys, this isn't very hard. Or complicated.

It’s all personal preference honestly. There’s also a big difference between it being easy and it actually being something you like to do.

We’ve done them and they’re really quite easy and pain free. With that said, we just don’t like doing them for the reasons I mentioned above (we like getting there and really settling in, the moving makes even our longer trips feel shorter, day without a room with young children can be tough at times). It’s not something that we’d avoid due to the difficulty of the move, it’s something we try to avoid simply because it’s just not something we enjoy doing. I 100% see the benefit to splitting a stay between say BWV and BLT (or BCV, PVB, VGF etc), but just prefer not to. We have close friends who try to do split stays nearly every trip cuz they just enjoy getting the different resort experiences and don’t really mind not settling in any one spot.

To each their own. Find what works for you and go for it!

We've done several split stays, and husband has said never again. It's a pain to have to pack up after getting settled and then not having a place to rest midday for the moving day.

Buying at another resort does not mean you have to stay at only at that resort. We have three different contracts and combine the points to stay in one place each year. Although I usually book after 7 months or book the key date at 11 and they get the rest of the reservation at 7 months.

Also, it sounds like you plan to buy direct from Disney. They can still get you sold out resorts. We bought one of our contacts that way.

I have always found Disney to be very helpful when it comes to moving your stuff from one resort to the other.
You do not seem to want the Dining plan (i never do) so that is one complication out of the way.

The split stay fast pass issue seems to be resolved (reverted back to the way it was)

There is only a handful of restaurants that need to be done ASAP (O'hana - dinner mainly, California Grill, Cinderella's Royal table, perhaps princess breakfast) so I do not see that as much of an issue.

Its really, in my opinion, all about you...do you unpack and settle in, or live out of your suitcase, etc.

My biggest problem with them is that it always seems to be a day I need an afternoon nap the most that is the day where I do not have a room between 11 and 4!

Some tips... when I pack I do one large suitcase for 3 days at one resort, one for 4 days at the second and a third suitcase to hold items we need at both (toiletry bags, cosmetics, sandals, hats, pool bag, electronic wires, etc. That way I'm not unpacking everything.

This is a great idea! Since getting DVC, we often only pack 3-4 days' worth of clothes anyway, and coincide our move day with laundry day - that way, we just throw all the clothes into suitcases, it doesn't matter which one, because we will do laundry when we get to resort #2.

We've done plenty of split stays. Usually we do 3-4 nights at each. When we have done this at the Swolphin, we get a late checkout and so we actually have overlap - it turns out we didn't need it. Either we rope drop/ get out early, and then plan to come back to the room for an early lunch/pack up/check out, or we'll stick around the resort, eating, going to the pool or doing something else non-park, then check out around lunchtime and then head to a park. I feel like it's easy to spend 4 hours in a park and not feel "homeless" on transfer day.

My biggest problem with them is that it always seems to be a day I need an afternoon nap the most that is the day where I do not have a room between 11 and 4!
That's what Carousel of Progress is for. 🤣

We love split stays. We stay at a Magic Kingdom resort for one or two days, getting the dining plan. It’s way too much food for the whole stay, but fun for a day or two. Then move to another resort (usually Beach Club) for the rest of the stay. That way we get to experience a different resort, do some of the more expensive meals, then settle into more sensible eating, and have the refillable cup for the entire stay. If we’re ordering food from Walmart, we don’t get it until after we’ve moved. Works for us.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter