Are the loaner wheelchairs at the resorts the fold away kind?

Bete

DIS Veteran
I would like to know if these resort wheelchairs fold up. TIA.

The two we saw at the Beach Club were the folding kind.

Disney only has the fold up ones

bell services will be happy to put it in your trunk and take it out as well - no tip necessary.

Back in 2000 we got a loaner wheelchair from All-Stars and it was a folding chair, BUT a bar had been attached and it would not fold.

Carol

spiceycat said:
Disney only has the fold up ones

bell services will be happy to put it in your trunk and take it out as well - no tip necessary.

Hi. Just curious, isn't the bell service a tipping position? Thanks.

not for what they consider handicapped.

I tried to tip the guy at oKW for helping me put the wheelchair in and he refused.

most of the bell services refused the tip for helping with the wheelchair. I think the only one who took it was at BC.

these things are HEAVY. the more helpful they are the more you might go to the parks.

I got told (although I have seem them) that at the parks CM are there to help you remove the wheelchairs from your car. they are in the handicapped section.

spiceycat said:

I tried to tip the guy at oKW for helping me put the wheelchair in and he refused.

most of the bell services refused the tip for helping with the wheelchair. I think the only one who took it was at BC.

these things are HEAVY. the more helpful they are the more you might go to the parks.

I got told (although I have seem them) that at the parks CM are there to help you remove the wheelchairs from your car. they are in the handicapped section.

That's great! So there will be a CM at the handicapped section and they help you take the wheelchairs from your car? Hmmm... That's good. Is the fold up chair really heavy? I dont' know if I should just do the manual or the ECV from off-site. When you guys say lend.. is this mean renting for a fee or just letting you borrow at no charge? Thanks so much!

the mannual wheelchair is free of charge (they need your credit card just in case you don't return it - it is know to happen) at any WDW resort.

no guaranteeds on availaiblity.

but they have always had one for our stays.

at my age - EVERYTHING is heavy.

My backpack is on wheels these days. :goodvibes :guilty: :rolleyes:

I have never seen a castmember in the handicapped parking area to help remove your wheelchair in all the time we have been there. Do not count on this.

spiceycat said:

First of all, all bellmen and valet parkers are tip positions. You may find one who will refuse a tip, but it is very unlikely. As a matter of fact, when I park at one of the deluxe hotels I will give the valet a larger tip than normal if I am assisted with my ECV (and no tip plus talk to a supervisor if I have to unoad/load it myself).

I have never seen anyone in any of the Park parking lots who were there to provide any assistance in unloading/loading a wc or ECV. The only time I was ever offered assistance was from a Security person walking through the lot in DTD.

Talking Hands said:
I have never seen a castmember in the handicapped parking area to help remove your wheelchair in all the time we have been there. Do not count on this.

Me either....

Talking Hands said:
me neither ::no::
Actually, I have very seldom seen any CM in the handicapped parking area.

I was just thinking about it and except for the one that flags you into medical parking, the only other CM's I have seen are the ones returning the courtesy WC's

It really helps to know more before you get there. I feel less stress that way.

right now we don't park in the handicapped section. but if you need help bell services has say there is help available at the parks. Now that the reality is - I just don't know.

I am working on now getting a handicapped parking permit. She has such trouble walking that even the small walk to the rest rooms at the rest stops is hard for her.

she was surpose to get one - but I have waited for her to get one for 3 years. I am getting one this year. It hurts me to see her trying to walk.

Handicap park permit. My mother already has one. She can walk, but she has trouble walking long distance, so she uses her cane to help her walk better. I think I want to rent a car..but then I just don't know how in the world I am going to get that scooter in the car unless I get the wheelchair that folds. But maybe I should rent a car anyways just in case...and I will make sure my mother brings her park permit!

when we stay on site - I definitely use the buses - much easier on me.

the bus drivers at WDW are the BEST!!!

they are wonderful. they do the wheelchairs first. You will be allowed to board with her. then the rest of your family gets on. before the people waiting in line.

I am staying offsite this trip. So I need to rent a wheelchair.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter