Are there “ joke gifts” at your Christmas?

Grumpy's Gal

DIS Veteran
My family always has some joke gifts. I wonder if lots of other families do too.

One thing, my mom puts an orange in the bottom of every stocking. We sneak the orange out of my BIL’s stocking and replace it with something else, like an apple or a potato. On Christmas morning when everyone opens stockings, his is always different. He thanks my mom and she never knows what to say! “Where’d you get THAT?!?! That’s not what I put in there!”

One year, I wrapped up a “ favorite child” ornament and addressed it to myself from my mom. When it was my turn, I opened it and thanked my mom. You should’ve seen her face! ( I had “ favorite child” ornaments for my siblings too)

We’ve had hundreds of jokes pulled but I’d like to hear about yours.

Our "Santa" gifts growing up were never wrapped but a couple years after we outgrew believing my dad starting buying and wrapping gifts for the family and labeling them from "Santa" Often these were at least as much for him as for anyone else in the family (though we surprised the heck out of him when his daughters who had never expressed any interest in video games really enjoyed the XBox he bought for the "Family" one year lol)

My mom's side of family has always done joke gifts mixed in the real ones when everyone opens gifts. For example a classic was a beanie with a bedspring on the front made for someone who had a run-in with a tree while skiing. I know my mom has a few planned for us this year.

The only joke gift I can think of is DH buying me a Diet Pepsi one year for my stocking. We were opening gifts on the 23rd, then driving all night to spend Christmas with our extended family. He was getting desperate & stopped at the convenience store across from our subdivision on his way home from work to buy stuff to finish filling my stocking. When I opened my stocking stuffers, one of them was a Diet Pepsi. It was still refrigerator cold. :laughing: DS was young & somehow remembered it as him buying both of us cold drinks from the convenience store. He loved telling the story & thought it was hilarious, so we never corrected him. DH bought both of us drinks for our stocking, until DS was in his preteens. At that point, I told him it was okay for him to only buy one for DS. That tradition was all that mattered. After that, DH really stepped up his game & made it a mission to find a crazy concoction & challenge DS to drink it. He says he'll always buy DS a drink for his stocking & continue the tradition, if we ever have grandkids. If that happens, I'll make him start them off easy, but I'll feel for them, after they hit their preteen years. :rotfl:

Last edited:
My family has always had joke gifts ever since I was a little kid. I like fancy hats and had bought a hat at Disney (back when Le Chapeau actually had hats other than ear and baseball caps) that had tulle netting on it. For Christmas that year, my mother made me a hat with tons of tulle netting. That sucker was at least 3 feet tall. I think I might still have it somewhere.

This year I've been saving the fur from my cat when I brush him out. My brother is getting a DIY toupee kit!

The first year my brother was married, his wife bought and wrapped a skirt and gave it to him. When he looked at her funny, she grabbed the skirt and said, "cool, it's in my size! I'll take it!"

Yes, my MIL loves to clean out her house by passing along all the junk she feels bad about giving to goodwill to us "kids". I've been known to wrap up some stuff and give it to dh's siblings. (Not as a real gift, they know exactly where it came from and get a good laugh).
I also like to get some little silly joke gifts for dh and the kids. All practical stuff that can be used but just silly enough where you'd never normally buy it.
A few years ago I found prank gift boxes at Walmart and used to put gifts in those but dh and the kids caught on after a few years of that LOL.

It's not the norm but occasionally there will be a gag gift if something catches the gift-givers eye.

A few years ago DD gave me a calendar titled "Nuns Having Fun." B&W photos from the 50s and 60s of nuns riding roller coasters, twirling hula hoops around their waists, sneaking cigarettes behind the convent, etc.

This is DH's specialty. When his sister was a rodeo queen, he made her a crown and belt buckle of iron that each weighed several pounds. Another sister is all into purple stuff, so he spray painted corn cobs purple for her. There is currently a box of corn cobs painted various colors that makes the rounds every year. Another year when a sister was late to arrive, he took all of her real gifts from under the tree and replaced them with wrapped boxes of trash and recycling. When she was young, DD20 had a shirt with cat fronts on the front and cat butts on the back. She wore it ALL the time. We gave her grandma and aunts (one is cat crazy) cat butt shirts too. And cat butt magnets for the one aunt.

One year on my side, there was going to be a niece's boyfriend come last minute so her mom asked if we could pick up a free swimsuit calendar from the hardware store. We were snowed in, so instead we took a free tractor calendar that we had and I cut out middle aged women modeling jeans from a magazine and glued them in posed next to the tractors.

LOL this post makes us sound so redneck.

My mother gave my aunt a bathroom set and tried to give her boyfriend, who she didn't like Toilet paper to go with it. She stupidly put my name on it though and I got the TP. She tried to blame me but there was my name right on the tag. I'd never gag gift someone out of spite or someone I didn't like. Karma got my mom on that one.

Last edited:
We do lots of joke gifts. Some of it is stuff like scavenger hunts with the clues hidden in blocks of ice, jars of baby food, written in a different language that no one speaks (Google translator), inside bottles of stool softener hot glued shut, written with chocolate on a roll of toilet paper... with the clues always leading to something not all that exciting like a gift card or clothes. The hunt is still a lot of fun.

One year before I was going to have surgery, my gma actually gave me a full bottle of stool softener as a gag gift. Another year (when I was an adult) she gave me a bottle of dish soap with the recipe for "soapy tea" that was my specialty when I was about 3. One year the jellybeans from Beanboozled were re-packaged and passed off as regular jellybeans. Our family has an odd obsession with cheese and when we were teens, my brother and I thought it was hilarious to use "Go eat cheese in the bathroom" as a comeback (I know it's ridiculous). My gma gave me a bright orange hoodie with Chester Cheetah (The Cheetos guy) on it that had "It ain't easy being cheesy" written on it. It was wrapped around a block of cheese and hidden in the bathroom. Not Christmas related, but one year instead of a birthday cake, my brother got a 2 lb brick of cheese with a candle in it (redneck cheesecake).

Last year for the ladies sock exchange, I made slippers, an eye mask, and "The Original iPAD" out of feminine hygiene products. I also included an enema and a bottle of stool softener. This year, I'm giving my cousin who is very logic-oriented and into puzzles the world's smallest puzzle (a bag of saw dust). My dad who never answers his cell phone and lives in the sticks will be getting a redneck cellphone (block of wood with numbers drawn on). DD is making homemade monkey farts lip balm for several of the relatives. DS is helping me make monster lollipops out of jolly ranchers and candy eyes and some are going to be made with the hot jolly ranchers (unlabeled, of course).

We do a family grab bag. And there are a few items that are in the men's grab bag each year. For many years, there was the naked lady glass. For some reason, the family thinks we have it (never have though). And then there is the "hoof". Can't explain it, but it is there every year. If there are non-family members that may not be there in future years, the family ensures that someone from the family "steals" it since stealing is allowed. We have had other random things including the cat mask in the men's grab bag a few years ago. We just go along and have fun with it. This year, my Mom and I picked out beer bottle carrier (for my Dad to contribute) and will put in some fake beer in it for the party.

My cousin put a pair of earrings inside a walnut for another cousin, then sealed the walnut in a full bag of walnuts. 2 years prior, he sealed them inside a shotgun shell and gave her a full box.

Toilet paper . It started years ago when my youngest nephew got it for my dad for his present. Than the next year my dad did it to him, and the next year was flipped, and so on. This year my dad got my nephew a poop kit (toilet paper, wipes, spray, and a new this guy pooped today t shirt) in Russian nesting boxes. My nephew got him VIPoo in Russian nesting boxes I am the only onle in the family that knows both gifts. I am cackling in glee I just have to get them to open them at the same time.

Toilet paper . It started years ago when my youngest nephew got it for my dad for his present. Than the next year my dad did it to him, and the next year was flipped, and so on. This year my dad got my nephew a poop kit (toilet paper, wipes, spray, and a new this guy pooped today t shirt) in Russian nesting boxes. My nephew got him VIPoo in Russian nesting boxes I am the only onle in the family that knows both gifts. I am cackling in glee I just have to get them to open them at the same time.
I can’t remember where we saw it ( maybe amazon) but you know the poop emoji? We saw a toilet plunger that is shaped like that. It was hilarious.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter