Are there housekeepers in addition to Room Attendant?

leannak

DIS Veteran
Is the Room Attendant the only person who is cleaning the stateroom and taking care of our needs, or are there other "housekeeping" people we should be leaving some dollars for daily?

There is only the stateroom attendant who services/cleans your home and does the nightly turndown service, no other housekeeping. The only other people coming to your room would be those who are delivering room service (you can tip them with cash when they come).

If there is an issue with something in your room, maintenance would come for that.

So that I'm clear on this, the attendant is in our room twice daily? I'm wondering if we need to plan to be out of the cabin to let them do their thing to the anticipated level of awesomeness.

Mark

So that I'm clear on this, the attendant is in our room twice daily? I'm wondering if we need to plan to be out of the cabin to let them do their thing to the anticipated level of awesomeness.

Mark

Yes, they clean your room in the morning after you are out. They then go in while you are dinner for turn down service.

Good question, Mark!

Also, is there anything we should do to make their job easier? I'm assuming we shouldn't leave trash lying around and generally keeping things tidy, but does anyone know of certain room attendant pet peeves or things they like guests to do (in addition to tipping, of course! :) ?

Mark
Yes they are. We have found, most times, that they will be in the room while we are at breakfast - they keep an eye out for people leaving. Of course if everyone goes at the same time that doesn't work.
They also have a list of what dinner service you are on. They will then be in your room while you are at dinner.

Good question, Mark!

Also, is there anything we should do to make their job easier? I'm assuming we shouldn't leave trash lying around and generally keeping things tidy, but does anyone know of certain room attendant pet peeves or things they like guests to do (in addition to tipping, of course! :) ?
I don't know of specific pet peeves, but we always make sure our clothes are put away, there is nothing on the beds, and that the desk is fairly tidy.

I make sure to clear off the bed before going to dinner and in the morning, as I know they will be turning it down/making it up. I also keep my shoes out of their way and tidied, so they don't have to vacuum around them or worse, trip over them.

I also bring something for our toothbrushes, to keep them tidy and enable clean-up around them to be efficient:

DSC03480 small.jpg

When we were there in February, our room attendant told us he had to vacuum the room twice a day. I made sure my kids shoes were in the closet, their stuff was put away, nothing was left on the couch so he can turn it down etc. We had a connecting room and our couch wasn't being used, so it became a catch all for everything all week.

Is the Room Attendant the only person who is cleaning the stateroom and taking care of our needs, or are there other "housekeeping" people we should be leaving some dollars for daily?
Just so you know, tipping on a cruise is a bit different than a hotel. Unlike a hotel, where you would tip cash daily due to the housekeeper potentially being different, you'll have the same room attendant for the duration of the cruise. Tipping is done at the end of the cruise, and Disney will give you special envelopes to put either your pre-paid tickets and/or cash into. They make it really easy.

This is a great thread. They're there to make our stay extra enjoyable, but there's no shortage of little things we can do in return to make their day a little easier despite it being their job. :)

Do we put the cash tips for room service in said envelope too, or is that given straight to the delivery-ee?

Mark

As others have stated you will have a specific host or hostess assigned to your cabin. That is a tipped position. There are actually quite a few others working in the housekeeping department, but they maintain the public areas of the ship. These are not tipped positions, but you can recognize crew members who give you good service by mentioning their names on the survey you will get at the end of the cruise.

I make sure to clear off the bed before going to dinner and in the morning, as I know they will be turning it down/making it up. I also keep my shoes out of their way and tidied, so they don't have to vacuum around them or worse, trip over them.

I also bring something for our toothbrushes, to keep them tidy and enable clean-up around them to be efficient:

View attachment 337445

Each cabin has a little silver tray with 4 (glass) drinking glasses. We always use one glass for our toothbrushes/toothpaste to help keep the sink area neat.

As others have mentioned, the more tidy you keep your cabin, the easier it is for the room host/hostess. We wouldn't want them having to fold our sleepwear, so we make sure to do that each morning and put it all away in one of the drawers. Our shoes are always kept in the closet. If we need more storage space (on the longer cruises), we take the life jackets out of the closet and tuck them under the bed with our suitcases (then we put them back on the last night of the cruise as we pack to go home). There are enough cabinets and drawers for everything, and we now have a routine for where everything goes from cruise to cruise which is nice because we no longer have to search to find things.

The room hosts/hostesses seem to have a sixth sense for knowing when you're out of the cabin and will come in to clean during that time. Typically, they clean during breakfast and dinner times. I say typically, because I tend to sleep in and my first meal is usually lunch, so they don't always clean just during breakfast. It helps to put your "do not disturb" sign out when you don't want them coming in. Also, you'll see them throughout the day in the hallway and can specify if you prefer them to clean at a different time. They're very accommodating and truly want to please you. Dinner time is when they come in to replace towels, do the turn-down service, and leave the next day's Navigator.

The minimum suggested tip amounts will automatically be charged to your cabin. You'll receive a printout of those amounts and the little tip envelopes at least two days before the end of your cruise. You can adjust those tip amounts anytime at Guest Services. We typically leave the minimum amounts "as is" and then add extra cash to the tip envelopes. After 19 cruises, I can only recall one time when we lowered the amount below the minimum, and that was for an extremely bad experience with that person. Everyone else has always received far above the suggested amounts from us.

Enjoy your cruise! :)

Do we put the cash tips for room service in said envelope too, or is that given straight to the delivery-ee? Mark

You'll receive 4 little tip envelopes:
Room Host/Hostess
Head Server
Server
Assistant Server

Here is a link to DCL's page about tips: https://disneycruise.disney.go.com/faq/onboard-services/gratuities/

You'll receive a printout with the minimum suggested amounts for each of those people. That printout will also have a little section to tear off for each of those people that you can insert into each tip envelope. You can also add extra cash to the little tip envelope if you're so inclined.

We leave the Room Host/Hostess's tip envelope on the bed on the last night of the cruise as we leave for dinner. We hand out the rest of the tip envelops at the end of the last night's dinner.

When we were there in February, our room attendant told us he had to vacuum the room twice a day......

Our stateroom host last year on the wbpc told us he had 15 rooms... can you imagine vacuuming 15 rooms twice a day? And making 15 towel animals every evening?....

... If we need more storage space (on the longer cruises), we take the life jackets out of the closet and tuck them under the bed with our suitcases (then we put them back on the last night of the cruise as we pack to go home).......

This is brilliant!!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter