Are these rumors still active or potential?

Do you want Gran Fiesta Tour to be changed to Coco?

• Total voters

Jack Carson

Earning My Ears
So there were rumors floating around about a year ago about Gran Fiesta Tour being changed to Coco and Journey into Imagination being changed into Inside Out. Are these rumors still possible or are they dead? Just wanted to know as I really do not want these to happen.

I loved coco but I voted no. I’ve described my feelings in past posts and I’ll sum it up here: “I just don’t think coco has theme park potential in it.” What I mean by that is I can’t really see an attraction properly made from coco, and should it come I think it would be shoehorned in.

I’ve heard rumors but wasnt sure how valid they were. Jim hill said they put the plans on hold because despite grossing over $800 million worldwide the American gross was tepid ($209 million) and they were going to wait and see how home video sales were. As of June 1st coco has sold 2.4 million Blu-rays and a little over a million DVD’s (source: https://www.the-numbers.com/movie/Coco-(2017)#tab=video-sales). In my opinion while those are good I can’t see them greenlighting it based off solely that. Granted Coco had a lot of obstacles to face in theaters, namely people waiting for The Last Jedi and competition during Christmas and that could be why home video sales are good but I don’t know I’m not Disney. Another thing I heard was the site wdwthemeparks reporting on their rumors section: “WDWMagic.com user scuttle is reporting that the Coco overlay for Gran Fiesta Tour is happening with a budget of $75 million. The poster is claiming that this information is accurate within the last year.” that last part really makes me stroke my chin. Last year could mean before the movie was released. A lot can change in a year, and the lack of, well “sources say or rumblings from what I heard” make me feel doubtful

Again I’m not Disney and what I wrote may seem opinion based but everything in my eyes and judging from my experience, it doesn’t look promising for coco. Inside out I have no idea

So there were rumors floating around about a year ago about Gran Fiesta Tour being changed to Coco and Journey into Imagination being changed into Inside Out. Are these rumors still possible or are they dead? Just wanted to know as I really do not want these to happen.
Yes and no-ish. Coco is still a possibility. Inside Out not so much but Imagination should eventually get some work depending on budgets and what not.

The Coco overlay seems to have been on-off-on-off - so it’s not dead but nothing set to happen

Last I heard was any update to Imagination is far off - being it Inside Out or anything else

Of the two I think the Coco is more likely to happen - at least I think the next 5 years or something. But probably less than 50% for either

These rumors go along with the rumors from the 2000s about Imagination getting a Monsters Inc. overlay, and The Land getting a Wall-E overlay. I'd think they probably won't happen. I would not want Fiesta Tour changing to Coco. If Imagination gets updated, I'd rather them stick with the original Journey into Imagination theme/characters.

These rumors go along with the rumors from the 2000s about Imagination getting a Monsters Inc. overlay, and The Land getting a Wall-E overlay. I'd think they probably won't happen. I would not want Fiesta Tour changing to Coco. If Imagination gets updated, I'd rather them stick with the original Journey into Imagination theme/characters.
These rumors do not go with rumors from the 2000s. Coco and Inside Out are much more recent.

These rumors do not go with rumors from the 2000s. Coco and Inside Out are much more recent.

I meant that they are the same type of rumors - where a current movie seems to fit the theme of a ride, and therefore that ride will now be updated with that movie.

Usually if this really does happen, it is pretty quick.

For example, "Frozen" came out in 2013. Maelstrom closed in 2014 to make way for Frozen Ever After. "Lilo and Stitch" came out in 2002. Alien Encounter closed in 2003 to make way for Stitch's Great Escape. "Finding Nemo" came out in 2003. Turtle Talk opened at the Living Seas in 2004, and closed to make way for the Seas with Nemo and Friends in 2005.

I meant that they are the same type of rumors - where a current movie seems to fit the theme of a ride, and therefore that ride will now be updated with that movie.

Usually if this really does happen, it is pretty quick.

For example, "Frozen" came out in 2013. Maelstrom closed in 2014 to make way for Frozen Ever After. "Lilo and Stitch" came out in 2002. Alien Encounter closed in 2003 to make way for Stitch's Great Escape. "Finding Nemo" came out in 2003. Turtle Talk opened at the Living Seas in 2004, and closed to make way for the Seas with Nemo and Friends in 2005.
Inside Out doesn’t really fit Imagination as well as it would Cranium Command. Coco drew inspiration from the Mexico pavilion.

"Again I’m not Disney and what I wrote may seem opinion based but everything in my eyes and judging from my experience, it doesn’t look promising for coco. Inside out I have no idea"

OK :)

"The Coco overlay seems to have been on-off-on-off - so it’s not dead but nothing set to happen

Last I heard was any update to Imagination is far off - being it Inside Out or anything else"

Thank you :)

" 'Frozen' came out in 2013. Maelstrom closed in 2014 to make way for Frozen Ever After"

Still very upset about this

I do not want either to happen so I'm glad to hear this :) thank you guys

Inside Out doesn’t really fit Imagination as well as it would Cranium Command. Coco drew inspiration from the Mexico pavilion.
And they actually went to the China pavilion for research for Mulan since it was animated like a mile away :p. DVD bonus features show Epcot I swear

Edit: Milan? The city in Italy? Why iPhone why?

Last edited:
I'm not usually one for updating/changing rides that already work. Like the Guardians of the Galaxy instead of Tower of Terror? Well, I would die a little bit inside!

But I actually love the idea of putting Coco in. It just seems like it could fit perfectly. As soon as we saw the movie, without knowing about any rumors, I had said to my kids this would be a fantastic change.

I would want to see a complete overhaul of the ride tech itself, not just a layover. The ride is mainly a boat ride through a bunch of video screens. The next upgrade (Coco or not) needs to have far more than that going for it to really be impressive.
That’s actually why I want three caballeros to stay. That and the animatronics at the end. Love them and love the history behind them even more

That and the animatronics at the end. Love them and love the history behind them even more

Those were installed fairly recently, IIRC. Also, I can't remember the story behind them, other than that they were taken from another attraction somewhere else (a non-US park, IIRC?).

Anyhow, if they changed the ride to Coco and did a really good job of it, then I'd be ok with that. If they are just going to do a cheap overlay, then I wouldn't want that. In general, I like the more "classic" Disney stuff and hate to see it removed for other things (Coco, for example) but I realize that the parks need to move on at some point...

Those were installed fairly recently, IIRC. Also, I can't remember the story behind them, other than that they were taken from another attraction somewhere else (a non-US park, IIRC?).

Anyhow, if they changed the ride to Coco and did a really good job of it, then I'd be ok with that. If they are just going to do a cheap overlay, then I wouldn't want that. In general, I like the more "classic" Disney stuff and hate to see it removed for other things (Coco, for example) but I realize that the parks need to move on at some point...
They were from the Mickey Mouse Review which was in the Magic Kingdom where Philharmagic is.

They were from the Mickey Mouse Review which was in the Magic Kingdom where Philharmagic is.
I’ll help add on if you don’t mind: when Mickey Mouse review closed at the magic kingdom they moved it all to Tokyo Disneyland. Tokyo’s closed for, ironically philharmagic in 2011 and from what I’ve heard the caballeros were sent back to Florida around that same time period but installed just under 3 years ago. In a sense they did finally complete their world tour and now here’s animatronics that weren’t recycled that not only predate the ride but predate the park they currently reside in. Honestly I just love this fact, and I love the animatronics too. Three caballeros is in my eyes one of Disney’s most underrated animated features and the animatronics very fluid considering their age. I always liked gran fiesta tour for being that cute ride no one really knows about in Epcot with an excuse to see recent hand drawn animation but the animatronics for me made it a gem that I have to do every time just to see them. Every time I go on I take a picture of them and now I don’t want to count how many I have

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter