Are We Crazy? We totally LOVE Saratoga Springs!!

Years ago when SSR was new our family viewed it as a last choice resort. It was not our taste. This said, over the years we've come to appreciate it more. DH stayed there just ourselves last year and commented on how much we really liked it and can see more stays there int he future. Just last week our kids were reminiscing about the trip we took there in 2013 where we stayed in 3 bedroom grand villa for a week.

I’m glad I found this thread. We booked our very first DVC trip at SSR in July. Our resale contract for PVB just closed recently and Disney finally set up our membership account last week. SSR was the only one available for the entire second week of July (a week that I had to take-off from work because my 3-yo’s daycare is closed that week). I’ve read mixed things about SSR, but I also read enough positive things that I was more than willing to give it a chance. Can’t wait.

We’re doing 3 nights in a studio and 3 nights in a 1-bedroom. I’m really hoping I’ll like the resort as much as I think I will, because I can see myself trying to add-on resale (or maybe even 75-direct) if I do.

Just back from 4 nights at SSR, and agree wholeheartedly. We loved it! The proximity to Disney Springs was so nice. Enjoyed a quiet 10 minute walk to Starbucks on 2 mornings, which was a great way to spend time with my niece. The resort is beautiful and the landscaping is so lush and mature. We only used the High Rock Springs Pool, since we were right across the street from it, but the Paddock and Congress Park pools were easily accessible as well. I am really excited about the refurb and can’t wait to get back.
As a side note, I hear a lot about full busses at SSR but we didn’t have any problems getting a bus at the Springs stop each morning and found standing room only, just on the return busses late in the evening.
My one not positive was the quick service, food was good but it is just disorganized. The combination gift shop / food service just does not work well. There was some refurbishing starting as we were leaving at the gift shop so maybe it will improve after it’s finished.

The only thing I don't like about SSR is that you have to take a bus to all of the parks and we've had hit-and-miss luck with the buses (though I know buses are hit and miss from everywhere). Otherwise, I really enjoy SSR. It really is a beautiful location.
OK, I think I have found some kindred spirits, so let me share my strategy/logic and see what you all think!

I have an offer pending ROFR for 210 SSR points, and after that comes through, I’d buy 100 SSR Direct points for the same use year. It seems like managing different use years can get complex. Overall, I’m hoping to use our points to get 1 BR villas at SSR, but occasionally try to get a 1BR at other places if there is availability. Our kids are grown, but no spouses/grandkids just yet, but it seems like we could easily use 310 points/year for future whole-family trips with 2BR villas.

Getting the 100 Direct points would be not just to get the perks, but to also have the opportunity to stay in Riviera and future DVCs.

Thanks for your thoughts and I’m really enjoying the DIS boards!

Just back from 4 nights at SSR, and agree wholeheartedly. We loved it! The proximity to Disney Springs was so nice. Enjoyed a quiet 10 minute walk to Starbucks on 2 mornings, which was a great way to spend time with my niece. The resort is beautiful and the landscaping is so lush and mature. We only used the High Rock Springs Pool, since we were right across the street from it, but the Paddock and Congress Park pools were easily accessible as well. I am really excited about the refurb and can’t wait to get back.
As a side note, I hear a lot about full busses at SSR but we didn’t have any problems getting a bus at the Springs stop each morning and found standing room only, just on the return busses late in the evening.
My one not positive was the quick service, food was good but it is just disorganized. The combination gift shop / food service just does not work well. There was some refurbishing starting as we were leaving at the gift shop so maybe it will improve after it’s finished.
My DD and my DH loved their morning "Starbies" coffee in Disney springs -- great daddy/daughter time! Next time you visit, try the Paddock Grill at the Paddock pool. We were impressed with how good the cheeseburger was, and I had a perfectly nice spice-encrusted fish sandwich with aioli slaw. Not haute cuisine, but surprisingly tasty pool/quick service food. The CMs will even pack it in to-go boxes if you want to take it elsewhere (we took ours to the Congress Park pool).
As for buses, maybe it depends on your bus stop?
The buses stop at each place in this order:
1) Grandstand
2) Carousel
3) Paddock
4) Congress Park
5) Springs
The Disney Springs bus does a counterclockwise loop to help facilitate internal transportation.
For most of the trip, our building was in Paddock but at the "Carousel" bus stop (Paddock bldg 4501-4836). We could go from our room to the bus stop in about 1 minute (down the stairs, a few steps to the front of the building)! We did not go to a park early in the morning or late at night at park closing so I can't speak for those busy times. But we did hop on the bus several times during the day and the evening to get around SSR & to visit Disney Springs. We never ran into even standing room only much less having to wait for another bus. Springs may be busier, since it is the last bus stop heading to the parks.
I will say that we ran into a large family with a grandparent in a motorized scooter. They had tried unsuccessfully to board three buses; the buses had room for the family but not for the scooter (there is only one scooter spot per bus, I believe). So that sort of need may make the bus situation more difficult.

Last edited:

OK, I think I have found some kindred spirits, so let me share my strategy/logic and see what you all think!

I have an offer pending ROFR for 210 SSR points, and after that comes through, I’d buy 100 SSR Direct points for the same use year. It seems like managing different use years can get complex. Overall, I’m hoping to use our points to get 1 BR villas at SSR, but occasionally try to get a 1BR at other places if there is availability. Our kids are grown, but no spouses/grandkids just yet, but it seems like we could easily use 310 points/year for future whole-family trips with 2BR villas.

Getting the 100 Direct points would be not just to get the perks, but to also have the opportunity to stay in Riviera and future DVCs.

1BR's are usually the easiest to get at the 7 month mark, though availability may still be minimal depending on the time of year you go.
Keep in mind that the Poly only has Studios.

SSR proudly is our home. All of us feel it is our favourite resort. We have stayed at every DVC resort except 2, and we always come back to SSR and say ‘we are home’. I agree with everything the OP said and more. We have done two split stays (Vero Beach) non park and loved it. Thanks again to OP for refreshing our memories of our fav resort!

No, you're not crazy. Disney has been brilliant in making each resort a bit different, so that there is something for everyone.

We just returned from a 4 night stay at SSR. We’re thinking of becoming DVC members, so are renting points at a few different resorts. We loved SSR. Our studio villa was in Grandstand, and very close to both the Grandstand bus stop and the Carriage House.
What we loved:
Very quiet and peaceful
Close to Disney Springs
DH is a golfer, so being right in the middle of a golf course was a plus
Excellent cast members

What we’re not crazy about
Limited transportation options (although I thought I would use Uber more than we did- only used it twice)
We’re planning another stay next April, and want to rent points again, hoping to try AK villas, Copper Creek, or Boulder Ridge.

I bought double the points at SSR to sleep around the resorts, but love SSR. Most times of year dead on 7 months you can take your pick of any resort in 1 beds.
Very busy times, certain resorts may be waitlist.
So for example this Christmas and New Year, the following were open (I am going 11 nights): SSR, OKW, AKL, BWV, BCV, VWL.
I am doing a split stay on purpose, so I switched my first week to Beach Club, and the second week BLT came up, maybe got lucky with that one as it’s busy that time of year, so I switched the second 5 days to that.
If you go Feb to Sept avoiding major holidays you can also get most views, last summer I could even book AKL value for two separate weeks. Basically during that period every resort is bookable and every view, but you may have difficulties getting the following views (not resorts) - BLT Standard, AKV concierge or value, Boardwalk Standard (but I booked it last summer via waitlist).
Peak times don’t expect to get in Copper Creek. Need to be bang on 7 months even non peak for that due to limited rooms.
I like Boardwalk and that’s pretty easy to get bang on 7 months.
I observe 1 bed availability multiple times per week (I’m sad like that). Of course patterns may change in the future, although I haven’t noticed much of a shift over the last 3 years with 1 beds.

Our son and granddaughter did the paint class yesterday at SSR! Nice class that they both enjoyed!

We are new owners in DVC at OKW, we were hoping to stay at a DVC property in December but we knew that trying to book this late would be tough. "Magically" some studios, 1 bedroom, and 2 bedroom lock-offs became available at SSR this past Wednesday 7/3!! So our first DVC stay will be at SSR!

We own at SSR, BLT and AKL. BLT is our favorite for park heavy trips. AKL is our favorite when we bring family, everyone is impressed with the view. SSR is our favorite during the slow times of the year or just our family. When the parks have shorter hours, it is so nice to have easy access to DS. The grounds are gorgeous and there is nothing more peaceful than going for a walk in the evening.

Not crazy at all, I love SSR. Have never understood the reputation it gets. Living in Orlando, when I go for one or two nights, I do not want to be on a schedule, so being able to walk back from Disney Springs is a huge plus. Also, the Treehouse Villas are amazing.

Add another family to the list that LOVES SSR!!
It’s a serene, sprawling oasis that’s just close enough to the vibrancy of Disney Springs!
A perfect combination for us!

SSR is our home and all though we have not stayed there many times, we really do like it. I think we like it more now than we did at first...we like being close to Disney Springs now that our kids are older and enjoy it over there more and we like all the great shops and restaurants over there. As park tickets are more and more expensive, we find we are enjoying resorts and their amenities and Disney Springs more and more. I have never been a huge fan of the decor in the villas but the new decor looks fabulous and I am really excited! Plus, SSR has such a reasonable point chart. I foresee many more stays there in the future....And, after all these years, we REALLY do need to try Turf Club...it is on my "short term" WDW to do list!

My family enjoyed our stay at SSR. We wouldn’t hesitate to stay there again. It wouldn’t be our top choice (Poly is our home resort), but we’d be perfectly content to stay there on short notice. We rented a car, so that may have negated a lot of the negatives about bus transport/etc. However, the one time we did take the bus (from MK back to SSR in the middle of a really hot day) was super smooth and convenient.

We were at SSR during a really busy time...January 1 - 5...and used the buses the whole time. We only had to wait a really long time once....it was about a 40 minute wait...but all the other wait times were about 5-15 minutes with abut 5-10 minutes being the norm. I was so very pleasantly surprised.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!