Are we expecting too much from Roy?

The Savedisney site certainly has a high level plan... The direct link has been posted on the board before. Yes, I said high level... things like focusing on creativity, restoring animation. The point is, these are legitimate strategic goals for a company dependent on its creative content.

Acheiving double-digit growth is a fine by-product to acheive, but its not going to lead to a great animated feature.

Also, there were articles where Roy/Stan said Comcast was not the best solution, that an independent Disney under different management was the goal.

But I'll say this again... Eisner's "plan" has lead to Disney becoming a takeover target. It just doesn't make sense to hold Roy/Stan to a standard to which Eisner has already failed.

raidermatt, I was talking about a more precise business plan - the Dilbert reference implied that the savedisney goal was to "Improve customer relations by making ourselves into the paradigm of after sales service whilst refocusing on core matters" and other such well meaning, but ultimately useless, stuff.

The amount of precision that I think would be useful could include:
• A break down of current and future spending along with independant market predictions to justify all shifts
• Revenue reports and futures expected revenues from various fields
• Investments to be made in various fields with approximate numbers only this time; precise numbers would preumably be part of the avalanche effect.

It would not include:
• Grow - not by any specific amount, just grow
• Become more creative
• Become more original

As these are MISSION STATEMENTS, not business plans!

If you could either find the savedisney business plan or even better post it, I'd be really interested :)

Rich::

The problem is, if the overall strategic direction is off, all of the detail in the world won't help. Further, we barely have any of this detail from Disney themselves.

Become more creative
Become more original

One of the problems is that if these two exist in Disney's plan, its in name only. Their business plan and track record do not back this up. You can't get to where you need to be if you aren't even going in the right direction.

Again, its current managment that has brought Disney to the brink of becoming a "Comcast company".

Originally posted by raidermatt
The problem is, if the overall strategic direction is off, all of the detail in the world won't help. Further, we barely have any of this detail from Disney themselves.

One of the problems is that if these two exist in Disney's plan, its in name only. Their business plan and track record do not back this up. You can't get to where you need to be if you aren't even going in the right direction.

Again, its current managment that has brought Disney to the brink of becoming a "Comcast company".

Yes, yes, very nice and visionary but if you rush in with a view to slaying a dragon without having planned it (eg. "mebbe I should buy summa that armour?") you're gonna get fried.

The world doesn't operate on "We will make money!"
The world operates on "We will make money by investing in this field and cutting down in this field because this research shows this!"

Sorry to spoil the mood.

And... "its current managment that has brought Disney to the brink of becoming a "Comcast company"" - wasn't it under Roy and co that Disney was subject to a hostile bid, prompting Eisner to be called in in the first place? I don't think that this can effectively be used against just one side, raidermatt :p Presuming, of course, that was your intention :)

If you could either find the savedisney business plan or even better post it, I'd be really interested

dcentity2000....you're really thinking in too navie of a thought process to believe that at this junction that type of info will be publicly deseminated.

When it is, it will be "interesting" I assure you! ;) :)

2 - Maybe they've spoken with Comcast and worked out a deal - Comcast takes over Cap Cities, gets a sweetheart deal for the various Disney Channels, agrees to distribute a Vault Disnel Channel and Comcast will sell 'Classic' Disney to a consortium that Roy's Boyz have put together with the plan being to merge it with Pixar with Stevie J as chairman, Roy as Vice and Lasseter as head of the Studios. Hey - it could happen!

Sounds pretty good, doesn't it?

Two major problems spring to mind:

1. Gates owns 7% of Comcast so that puts an immediate wrench in any deal with Jobs.

2. The parks. What happens to the parks? No doubt they will become a virtual subsidiary of Comcast stripmined to support Roberts' media driven empire. He won't sell them until he's siphoned every last dime.

I have no problem with Comcast remaining in the distributorship role but that won't be the case. They'll own everything - the Disney company will cease to exist and Roy's consortium will be left begging for a contract.

I do, however, feel that there should be A Disney family member involved somewhere, even if they have only a little power. As long as they can influence matters even in the slightest, I think that the romantic notion of a 'family dream' will be preserved and Disney will be all the better for that

Well said and right on the mark. I absolutely agree with this notion. I only wish the company had more influence from Walt's heirs today. I don't believe Roy has enough talent in this regard - but the symbolism behind his involvement is remarkable for Disney.

Originally posted by Goofyposter
dcentity2000....you're really thinking in too navie of a thought process to believe that at this junction that type of info will be publicly deseminated.

When it is, it will be "interesting" I assure you! ;) :)

I'm not looking for sensitive business plans, Goofyposter! Just for something other than the usual Dilbert style babble :)

For example: To increase profits, we'd focus more on closing stores as [Appendix A] shows that the trend over the last 5 years has not been good in regards to profits. The free equity this will release would be channeled into on of three options...

See?

Nothing released that would really do anything, but it shows that the knight in shining armour did pre-plan his mad rush :)

Personally, I think it's a bit naive to believe that mean-well statements could ever replace factual planning :)

Two major problems spring to mind:

1. - If Big Bill wanted a piece of Disney he could have had it anytime he wanted it over the last couple of years. Disney has been trying to sell pieces of itself to Microsoft for awhile - remember EPCOT's "Project Gemini"? I suppose it's possible that Big Bill might not want Stevie J. to have any more fun in his career, but IMHO I don't think he would stand in the way of Comcast getting a nice big pile of dead presidents for Disney 'Classic'.

2. - I wasn't clear. I consider the entire Parks and Resorts Segment to be a part of Disney 'Classic'.

So I plan to just keep on clapping and saying "I Believe"...

No doubt they will become a virtual subsidiary of Comcast stripmined to support Roberts' media driven empire. He won't sell them until he's siphoned every last dime.

LOL! This is really a marvelous line - like the last 10 years?

if you rush in with a view to slaying a dragon without having planned it (eg. "mebbe I should buy summa that armour?") you're gonna get fried.

You've got Roy saying he is going to slay it without giving you the details how. Then you've got Eisner who has proven incapable of doing it, and offers not much more in the way of details, other than we're going to keep doing what we've been doing.

Hmmm... Stick with what we know doesn't work, or try something different.... Hmmm....

Personally, I think it's a bit naive to believe that mean-well statements could ever replace factual planning
It would be, if that's what anyone thought.

What's more naive is to think that somebody proven to be incapable of handling the job will suddenly prove himself capable.

Roy's gun is pointed at the dragon. Does he have the right weapon and ammo? Maybe. Eisner's gun isn't even pointed in the right direction. He could have a rocket launcher and it won't do any of us any good.

Originally posted by raidermatt
You've got Roy saying he is going to slay it without giving you the details how. Then you've got Eisner who has proven incapable of doing it, and offers not much more in the way of details, other than we're going to keep doing what we've been doing.

Hmmm... Stick with what we know doesn't work, or try something different.... Hmmm....

It would be, if that's what anyone thought.

What's more naive is to think that somebody proven to be incapable of handling the job will suddenly prove himself capable.

Roy's gun is pointed at the dragon. Does he have the right weapon and ammo? Maybe. Eisner's gun isn't even pointed in the right direction. He could have a rocket launcher and it won't do any of us any good.

The question isn't if Eisner has his gun in the right direction, it's if he's keeping that Dragon at bay, which recently he doesn't seem to have. Roy is the new 'alternative' and may do better. We don't know. But I shall say again: look before you leap. Be the company firing on all pistons or gently falling into Comcast's grip, it hasn't gone quite yet and we do actually have time to ask 'Why?' and 'How?' of those who would offer themselves up as the alternative.

I'd rather stick with a failure than a possible catastrophe :)

Def. of catastrophe: Disney ending very quickly up in Comcast's hands, which the lady Disney said would happen if this changeover wasn't handled carefully :)

As for Eisner being PROVEN incapable... as a law student I wouldn't DARE rely on anything proffered here as anything more than moderately persuasive. It's not proof yet, although I dare say there is some to be unearthed. As for now, this shall remain an opinion given as fact as opposed to an opinion given as opinion :)

Can someone re-assert their worth? Stranger things have happened :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter