Are we going to miss the bus?

I think I would just check the bags and risk abandoning DH at the airport to catch the later bus if you think you, grandma and toddlers can make it to the first bus. Moving through the airport with one toddler and only backpacks is a struggle sometimes and my toddler is really well behaved. The upside is that you should not have a problem storing carryons on the plane as you will be able to board with the family boarding on Southwest. Now since you are going to DL there will be numerous families using family boarding so try to be well positioned to be in line once they call for families.

I find that Southwest frequently is late, especially if the plane you are on comes from a place with any kind of stormy weather. That said, I love to fly Southwest. The family boarding is between the A group and B group. If you get the Early Bird, you will be in the A boarding group, which you can board the plane in that group and increase your chances of being in the front of the plane.

Our flight lands at SNA at 3:10 p.m. on a weekday during a slow week. We booked Disneyland Express, because we opted to travel without car seats for our toddlers, so it's our only way to get to the hotel. The express bus leaves at 3:30 p.m. If we miss it, the next bus isn't until 4:45. Ugh. I do NOT want to get suck in an airport for an extra hour+ with two year olds and a pile of luggage!

So, my question is... assuming our flight is on time, how realistic is it that we can collect our checked bags and make it to the express bus?

You could maybe make it IF the plane is on time and you don’t have checked luggage. If you need to wait for luggage there’s no way and even without I think you will probably miss the 3:30.

Have you considered a car service? You can get ones that include car seats.

I find that Southwest frequently is late, especially if the plane you are on comes from a place with any kind of stormy weather. That said, I love to fly Southwest. The family boarding is between the A group and B group. If you get the Early Bird, you will be in the A boarding group, which you can board the plane in that group and increase your chances of being in the front of the plane.
You do not always get an A boarding number when you pay for early check-in. I have gotten a B several times.

Ah...Southwest will complicate things a bit since the bus pickup is at Terminal B. It's kind of a hike from terminal C to that spot. You will probably only make it if you only have carry on bags and sit in the front of the plane.

PPs keep adding the time it takes to use the restroom, walk thru the airport, and wait for baggage. Actually, the extra time toddlers need to get thru the airport, and the time used in the restroom can happen concurrently with time waiting for luggage. --Although, if it were me, I'd try to do COO, sit as close to the front of the plane as possible (unless it is one that unloads from both front and back), hope for an early plane arrival and late bus departure, and have a back up plan for IF you don't make the bus.

We've found that our flights have been frequently running ahead of schedule lately, say 10-15 minutes. SNA is a fantastic, small airport. However, I would still not chance 20 minutes. By the time you get off the plane, get luggage, etc you'll probably find your wait for the next bus to not be that bad.

Last edited:
One thing you could do is check Flightaware.com and track your flight for a number of days. We flew into LAX in AUG and our arrival time was 205p I think. According to the site our flight was getting in at least 30 min early nearly every day. It's not a guarantee as there could be a delay that day but could help in your planning and knowing what to possibly expect. We got our bags and took the shuttle to the rental car and arrived there before the flights scheduled arrival time.

Have you considered a car service? You can get ones that include car seats.
So many people have suggested this now that I am thinking of changing our plans. (Again! The planning for this trip has been a comedy of errors!) But can I get a refund from Disney on the DE transportation? I already paid in full.

PPs keep adding the time it takes to use the restroom, walk thru the airport, and wait for baggage. Actually, the extra time toddlers need to get thru the airport, and the time used in the restroom can happen concurrently with time waiting for luggage. --Although, if it were me, I'd try to do COO, sit as close to the front of the plane as possible (unless it is one that unloads from both front and back), hope for an early plane arrival and late bus departure, and have a back up plan for IF you don't make the bus.
At this point, I think the backup will be waiting for the 4:45 bus, which is seriously bumming me out. We have 3-day hoppers with max pass so that we can go to the parks the first night. It's starting to feel like that won't happen and will be a big waste of money.

So many people have suggested this now that I am thinking of changing our plans. (Again! The planning for this trip has been a comedy of errors!) But can I get a refund from Disney on the DE transportation? I already paid in full.

At this point, I think the backup will be waiting for the 4:45 bus, which is seriously bumming me out. We have 3-day hoppers with max pass so that we can go to the parks the first night. It's starting to feel like that won't happen and will be a big waste of money.

1. You may need to call Disney directly and find out about a refund. Then you could plan alternate transportation.

Or
2. Where are you coming from? If you have a time difference from home landing at 3p Cali time could be 5 or 6p at home and that could mean it's your normal dinner time and you kids will be hungry. So you could use that time while waiting for the bus to eat at the airport. I know for DD and myself we flew in from BOS so by the time we landed at LAX and got the car rental we were hungry as it was 6p at home. The first stop we made on the way to the hotel was the closest In-N-Out Burger en route.

Pretty sure DE is not actually part of Disney.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter