Are you "out" at work?

This is a great thread w/alot of good conversation. I'm straight but in the travel industry which is known to have alot of gay people in it. Actually I assume more are gay than straight. I have a friend that works for one of my vendors and we have talked many times about his partner. We get along fne and have no problems. On the other hand, some other agents in my office say they don't like him, he's moody, can be a SA etc. They'll say "Hey, Karen, call *** and see what he tells you about ....." whatever the situation is. Because they know he and I get along just fine. Do you think it might be b/c I don't judge him or condem him?! Well DAH?!?! :lmao:

I agree w/one poster that stated different areas of the country are more acceptable to gay couples than others. Here in the south (TN) there are alot of folks that are anti-gay--especially in small towns. On the other hand I think in the northern cities and larger cities, most people are more accepting of the gay lifestyle. Would ya'll agree or disagree w/that statement?

Keep the comments coming. It's a good conversation.

Karen

Hi yensid, I'm from the Bay Area as well.

I'm sorry to hear about the loss of your job, but yes, it can open doors to something much better. It confuses me, because from what I understand there is a lot of "family" that works on the Disney Cruise ships. :confused3

Well, I start a new job next week. It's always uncomfortable at first. I will be in training for six weeks, basically sitting in a big room with about 30 people or so. I WISH I would have at least 1 other "gay" coworker with me :) No big deal..

I know one thing that made me smile... After they offered me the position they gave me a "welcome" packet to go through before I start. They offer :"domestic partner" shared benefits!! This is a good thing!! :thumbsup2
At least I know the company is cool!

This is my first post... yippee, lol :cheer2:
I am out at work now, I am a nanny and was fired from a job after being with the family (and living in their house) for 5 years after they found out I am gay. After that I decided to always be out from day one, that way if they are homophobic I'll know.

Back story, they found out I am gay after I gave notice (because I was moving in with my then giirlfriend, now domestic partner) and they went through my things and read a journal I had kept. I was fired, by phone, that same day. Their 13 year old daughter told me it was because they read about my partner, Ava, in my journal. My ex bosses deny that was the reason.

SteeleTig said:
This is my first post... yippee, lol :cheer2:
I am out at work now, I am a nanny and was fired from a job after being with the family (and living in their house) for 5 years after they found out I am gay. After that I decided to always be out from day one, that way if they are homophobic I'll know.

Back story, they found out I am gay after I gave notice (because I was moving in with my then giirlfriend, now domestic partner) and they went through my things and read a journal I had kept. I was fired, by phone, that same day. Their 13 year old daughter told me it was because they read about my partner, Ava, in my journal. My ex bosses deny that was the reason.

OH WOW..that sux!! Im sorry..Why are people so ignorant?

Today was my first day at my new job. I will be in training for the first 6 weeks. Of course, Im the ONLY female (as usual) it seems this always happens to me. there are about 19 guys and me in my class. Once I start actually working and not training I will have other females around just not in the training class. Its a little nerve racking being with all guys, who I think are all straight. We had to do this thing today where we had to interview another person and introduce them to the rest of the room. The guy who interviewed me asks , "are you married? I was like NO, well, does a "significant other count?? LOL

I'm self employed so I guess I'm out to myself...LOL

Actually my business partner doesn't know, but I intend to tell him. He's open minded. I was in a situation where when I started I couldn't say anything b/c of some close minded peeps I was sharing an office with, but that has since changed and Sam and I are pretty good friends. I just need to figure out the best time and how to preface it.

I'm out at work, and work for a company where GLBT people are treated with respect. We have domestic partnership benefits, and our non-discrimination policies are inclusive of sexual orientation.

Now for my soapbox...

It makes me sad to read some of the stories on this thread, because as an HR manager, I know that a lot of companies today don't tolerate discrimination of any kind, whether or not sexual orientation is specifically protected in their company's policies. If a company does business in a state where laws are in place to protect sexual orientation discrimination, they could be held accountable if an employees claim of discrimination can be substantiated.

I agree with another poster who suggested that if you feel you were or are a target of discrimination in your employment, you should explore your options and find out what rights you have. The best thing to do, in my experience, is to utilize your company's HR/employee relations department and ask for a meeting. Present HR/ER with any documentation you may have about how you've been discriminated against, and if possible, provide the names of any witnesses to the discriminatory behavior that was enacted against you. If witnesses can substantiate your claims, you are in a much better place than if no one else can help you prove your claim. I know this is a very sensitive issue, but substantiated facts are usually what companies need to take action against those who discriminate.

Just my humble opinion...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter