Are You Really Going To Disney Again? A Jan 2016 DL Trip Report COMPLETE *Added link to WDW report

I do like how most of the princesses have their winter wear on - cute touch. Sorry you haven't had a better Belle. We've had some decent ones but probably the best luck with Ariel by far but also do pretty well with Snow White - I think she likes to interact with my little daughters

Lots of fun drawing classes! that's cool you got to draw Sally

Glad you enjoyed Aladdin. We saw it on Broadway so didn't make it a priority during our few days at DLR - but know a lot of people will miss it. I suspect they are putting Frozen in there as a testing ground for the version that will eventually be coming to Broadway

What a nice view from your balcony!

My oldest daughter and I have a very similar reel of photos from the Grizzly Peak photospot - they really are great!

I too love the winter costumes! I think it is funny that they need a winter outfit while standing in doors on a 60 degree day but I appreciate the details in all of their different costumes.

I didn't get to see the Broadway version so I am super jealous of that. I hope the Frozen show can live up to the greatness that Aladdin was. It really did feel more like a broadway version than a tourist entertainment.

I have to admit to lurking on your trip report and loving it. Your meal at Snooze convinced me to go and try the location in Colorado and it was amazing!

My 9yr old DD loves to draw and is not into the big rides. She is freaking out even about the notion of going on POTC. HM is out of the question. I can see I will be spending time in Animation Academy with her while everyone else is off doing the big rides. Loved ready your TP.

The animation academy really was a surprise highlight of this trip! I could probably spend an entire day doing classes until I reach an expert disney drawing level, but I am obsessive over things like that.
I didn't get to go to a Disney park until I was in high school but I was a big baby on rides at Six Flags until I was probably 11 or 12 so there is hope for your DD!

Day 3: Part 3 - Heading to Cafe Orleans!

After the churro pictures we had some time to kill before our lunch reservation.
We did one last ride on the Little Mermaid. This was when we really started to feel some crowds. We had been so lucky with the short wait times. We actually had to wait 7 minutes to take a trip under the sea, can you believe that!

Before heading over to DL we did one more animation class. This time we drew Goofy.

img_5025.jpg
img_5029.jpg

After that we made our way to DL. We stopped for some photo pass pictures and to meet Snow White. She was so cute! I love her wig and her voice.

photo_0092.jpg
photo_0097.jpg
img_5041.jpg

img_5037.jpg

Snow white was impressed with my looking glass

As soon as we entered the park we immediately noticed the Christmas tree was gone and replaced with flowers. I was really excited to see DLR all decorated for Christmas but by this point we were kinda over it. After two days of Christmas music every where it was nice to get back to some regular Disney music and decor.

img_5043.jpg
Goodbye Christmas, hello spring!

We had some time to kill before our lunch reservation and decided to walk through Tarzan’s treehouse.We had never done his before and I don't have the need to do it again but my mom wanted to get some steps and flights of stairs in for her fitbit.

img_5049.jpg
Stairs make her happy, don't ask me why
We took our time and then strolled through the shops over by POC. We made it to Café Orleans around 12:40. We were 20 minutes early for our reservation but were seated within 5 minutes.

Next up: Our thoughts on our first time at Cafe Orleans

Day 3: Part 4 - Lunch at Cafe Orleans!

This was our first time eating here. It did not disappoint. We went all out and ordered pommes frites, three cheese monte cristo, vegetable ragout, mickey beignets, and mint julep. This was way too much food but it was so good I could not stop eating. I wasn’t sure if I would like the monte cristo but I was pleasantly surpised. It is like a dessert on the outside and then a savory cheesy inside and somehow it all works together to create a truly unique, delicious meal. I will definitely be back. Next time though we will probable just split an order of pommes frites and the three cheese monte cristo so that we don’t go into a food coma again.

We sat outside so we could get a table quicker. There wasn't much theming outside so next time I want to look around indoors.

Our waiter was the best disney waiter we have ever had. The restaurant was packed but he was very attentive and engaging. We left him a note thanking him for the excellent service as well as a very generous tip. I wish I could remember his name because he was fantastic. An added benefit, he did not judge us for how much food we consumed!

img_5064.jpg

img_5063.jpg

img_5067.jpg

Mint julep has got to be the most refreshing drink inside DL park

img_5066.jpg

Trust me, these are more than just your average french fries
The sauce they come with was also perfect

img_5070.jpg
Vegetables were flavorful and fresh and the corn bread was really good

img_5071.jpg

Three cheese monte cristo
This picture does not begin to describe how surprisingly delicious and absolutely filling this was
Even without all the other food I don't think I would have been able to eat a whole one

img_5073.jpg

Mickey beignets!
I used to not understand why people prefer the food at Cafe Orleans over Blue Bayou but now I get it. The prices were more reasonable and the food was delicious. I love the atmosphere at BB but it will be a much harder choice between the two now.

Up next: What does one do after eating themselves into a food coma?

Day 3: Part 5 - Too full for rides

After lunch we went back to DCA to get Aladdin fastpasses. We were able to get ones for the 6:20 show which ended up working out nicely. While we were over there Sully was meeting so we stopped for a quick meet and greet.

img_5078.jpg
Sully liked my hat

img_5083.jpg

I love this big furry guy :love:

img_5091.jpg

Monster faces!

At that point my mom was ready for a nap and a shower to get rid of the food coma we were both in. I walked her back to the GC where we said good bye to the beautiful hotel. On the way to the GC DCA entrance we ran into Pluto who had no line.

photo_0103.jpg

photo_0106.jpg

photo_0108.jpg

My mom called a Lyft ride to come get her and take our bags to our hotel for the night. It only took about 3 minutes for the car to get there. We had chosen Hampton Inn Garden Grove which is off of Harbor, a little over a mile from the parks since it was the cheapest, closest place to use her Hilton points for a free night. Once my mom was off I headed back to the parks.

img_5101.jpg
I love this beautiful hotel

img_5107.jpg

Yes we needed all of these bags for our 4 day trip

Up next: Solo time in DL

Day 3: Part 6 - Solo time in DL
I figured I would go see Mickey and the Magical Map to give myself a break from walking for 30 minutes. On the way I stopped by and said hello to Ariel. She said she also likes to travel solo.

img_5112.jpg

I also met Cruella who tried giving me some hair dye tips. This was a great character interaction. She was hilarious and spent lots of time with each group. Both of these character waits were under 5 minutes each which was also awesome.

img_5115.jpg

img_5119.jpg

I got to the show about 10 minutes before it started. This is such a fun show. I love how it ties in some classic Disney songs with the heart warming story of Mickey learning to think outside the box.
img_5121.jpg

Waiting for the show to start

img_5128.jpg

The princess part is my favorite! I love that Eugene gets to come out and sing.
I also enjoy getting to see Mulan and Pocahontas since they are so under appreciated in DL park.

img_5130.jpg

The most entertaining performer has got to be the guys dancing in bubbles during the Under the Sea set. I can’t look away.

You can't tell from this picture but this guy has the most entertaining facial expressions and is just SO HAPPY to be on stage.

Once the show was over I wasn’t sure what I wanted to do. I wandered around for a bit. At this point ride lines were the longest they had been all trip. Even Buzz had a 20 minute wait. I got a mickey pretzel and took some pictures in front of the castle.
img_5133.jpg

photo_0117.jpg

Eventually I made my way to the main train station. I wanted to ride the train all the way around before it closes for the foreseeable future. The train was packed and it was getting colder outside by the time I got off.

Right as I was exiting the train I got a call from my mom, she had made it back to the parks. We met up and headed back to DCA.

Next up: Aladdin one last time

Day 3 Part 7- Aladdin one last time

After I found my mom we had about an hour before I wanted to get in line for Aladdin. With an hour to kill can anyone guess what we did?

Another drawing class! This time we learned how to draw Piglet.

img_5144.jpg
Once we were done we decided to get some wieners. My mom is not a vegetarian but eats close to vegetarian when I am around. She also hates mushrooms but wanted to try the veggie weiner and they special made one for her without the portabello shrooms.
img_5148.jpg

img_5147.jpg
While we were in line the Pixar Play parade was happening. We watched the parade while we ate and then headed over to the Aladdin fast pass line. It was about 35 minutes into the hour long fastpass window and the standby line and fastpass lines were both really long. About 5 minutes after we got in line cast members cut off the stand by line and told them most of the line would not get a seat. We ended up waiting in line until 15 minutes after the show was supposed to start before we were let in to get a set in the mezzanine section. It was worth the wait to be able to see it one last time.
img_5151.jpg
img_5152.jpg
img_5154.jpg
Next up: Trader Sam's

Day 3: Part 8 - Trader Sam's

Once we got out of the show we still had some time to kill before fireworks. We had done all the rides we really wanted to do and at that point most rides had longer lines. We decided to walk over to the Disneyland Hotel and enjoy a drink at Trader Sams. On the way we stopped to say hi to Minnie since she had no line. She liked my mom’s headband since it matched her dress.
photo_0119.jpg
photo_0124.jpg
photo_0126.jpg
photo_0121.jpg
Fifteen minutes later we were in line to get into Trader Sams. You can order drinks on the outdoor patio but it is worth the wait to get inside most of the time. There were about 5 people in line ahead of us. The group ahead of us got mad when the cast member wouldn’t let members of their party in who were not yet in line so they angrily stormed off and we got inside in about 15 minutes. This was our first time in the Disneyland version. We had really enjoyed the Trader Sams in the Poly at WDW last fall. The DL version did not seem as big and it was harder to find a place to sit but after about 5 minutes of waiting inside we got lucky and two people at the bar left. We quickly took their seats and ordered. I got the Passionate Python and my mom got the Piranha Pool. The Piranha Pool was sweeter and a really good frozen drink. I would have it again. The Passionate Python was good but not as good as my favorite Tiki Tiki Tiki Tiki Rum.
img_5170.jpg
Waiting to get inside
img_5174.jpg

img_5178.jpg

Piranha Pool

img_5180.jpg
Passionate Python
Next up: Ending our park visit with a bang

Day 3: Part 9- Fireworks and a new hotel

We finished our drinks relatively quickly and made our way back to DL just in time for fireworks. I enjoyed the fireworks show just as much the second time. My mom was glad I made her stay out later to watch them. We were both happy that we had changed our flight home to the next night in order to be able to see the fireworks again.

img_5185.jpg
Pre fireworks selfie
img_5187.jpg

img_5188.jpg
My phone does not do them justice, the projections on main street really are an amazing addition

My mom had been eyeing the Cinderella carriage popcorn bucket all trip so we stopped and got one on the way out. It has a handy landyard on it so I wore it as a necklace while we walked over the DCA photo shop to pick up our photopass cd. There weren’t many photographers out during our stay but we felt like we still got enough pictures to make the $70 cd worth it.

img_5194.jpg

img_5196.jpg

We took the Grand Californian exit and my mom was ready to crash in the GC lobby for the night. Three busy park days had knocked her out. I was able to drag her to the front of the hotel were I arranged for the Lyft ride to pick us up. We were in a car in about 3 minutes and on our way to our free hotel for the night.

img_5199.jpg
Can we pretty please just sleep in the GC lobby

img_5181.jpg
Good bye for now my beautiful Grand

The Hampton Inn Garden Grove was a clean enough place to stay for the night. After staying at the Grand for 2 nights it was a little sad to downgrade but for the price I would stay at the Hampton Inn again. My only complaints were the air conditioning would go off and come back on frequently and it was really loud so it woke me up whenever it turned back on. The bathroom also had the sink, toilet, and shower in one small room so it would be hard to get ready with multiple people sharing the room, but for the price it was fine. We fell asleep quickly to be well rested for our last day.

img_5201.jpg
Hampton Inn Garden Grove hotel room
We finally made it through day 3. I hope you guys stick around for one more day as we explore Downtown Disney!

Up next: Our one and only character meal

I am somewhat upset at myself that we didn't get to see the Magical Map show while we were out there. There were only a couple shows a day while we were there and always at times that didn't work - seems like a really great show!

That is great how you were able to meet some extra characters that didn't have big lines. And awesome you had time for Trader Sam's! We couldn't fit inside as we had the stroller, etc. - but did go in a few times to check out the effects.

Glad you were happy with your decision to push back one day to see the fireworks again. The projections are pretty darn cool!

We have never been popcorn bucket collectors but I have been seeing really cute ones and the Cinderella carriage is adorable. I have never stayed at a Hampton Inn. That is a choice for an upcoming dance competition. I might have to check it out. Thanks for sharing your trip.

I am somewhat upset at myself that we didn't get to see the Magical Map show while we were out there. There were only a couple shows a day while we were there and always at times that didn't work - seems like a really great show!

That is great how you were able to meet some extra characters that didn't have big lines. And awesome you had time for Trader Sam's! We couldn't fit inside as we had the stroller, etc. - but did go in a few times to check out the effects.

Glad you were happy with your decision to push back one day to see the fireworks again. The projections are pretty darn cool!

The show times for Mickey and the Magical Map are really not ideal. I would think it would be showing everyday since it is such unique show at Disneyland and more show times could help cut back on ride waits but what do I know.

I'm a technology geek (computer science major) so I really love all of the digital technology they incorporated with the projections and PtN. Fireworks are cool, but the projections just really amp up the Disney feels for me.

We have never been popcorn bucket collectors but I have been seeing really cute ones and the Cinderella carriage is adorable. I have never stayed at a Hampton Inn. That is a choice for an upcoming dance competition. I might have to check it out. Thanks for sharing your trip.

My mom wasn't a popcorn bucket collector until this trip! I think she is finally embracing her disney side and she is proudly displaying her popcorn buckets at work and at home.

This was our first time staying at a Hampton Inn too. Overall it was a clean place to stay which is always one of my requirements and being the hotel snobs we are, it is nice to have the hilton name attracted so we know what to expect. Also we did not do the free breakfast but it looked really good for a free continental breakfast!

I'm a technology geek (computer science major) so I really love all of the digital technology they incorporated with the projections and PtN. Fireworks are cool, but the projections just really amp up the Disney feels for me.

Ah, I have a degree in computer engineering so we probably think about things similarly. Same reason I loved Paint the Night so much - thinking of the technology behind it (in addition to the catchy music ;) )

Day 4: Part 1- Breakfast with Goofy

We slept in until 9 (who knew you could sleep in while on a Disney vacation???? Jk only if it is not a park day). I showered, we repacked, and were out the door. The hotel had a free breakfast which looked pretty good with waffles and hot food.

img_5202.jpg
img_5203.jpg

No food pictures but here is the Hampton Inn lobby and breakfast area

We did not take advantage of free food as we had other plans for the morning. We were heading to Goofy’s Kitchen! We got a lyft and were at the Disneyland Hotel shortly.
img_5204.jpg
Love the 60th decorations here
img_5206.jpg
img_5208.jpg

It is pretty easy to find Goofy's Kitchen if you are walking from Downtown Disney towards the DL hotel

We got there about 20 minutes before our 10:00am reservation but got seated almost instantly. You pay before dining and 18% gratuity is included. It was about $86 for the both of us. We met Pluto before being taken to our table.
img_5215.jpg
img_5218.jpg
img_5222.jpg

3 Pluto meets in 4 days!

img_5225.jpg
A view of the restaurant from our table. Everything is bright and colorful
We were secluded in a corner and it did not feel overcrowded

(continued...)

I have mixed feelings about this meal. The character interaction was great. We met Minnie, Pluto, Goofy, and Dale. We had enough time to get food in between characters but also weren’t stuck waiting around for a character to come see us. The food was decent. I got a great made to order omelet and enjoyed the breakfast potatoes. I had really been looking forward to Mickey waffles. On our trip to WDW in the fall I ate Mickey waffles every morning and had really been missing them this trip. The ones at Goofy’s kitchen were hot and fresh but a little over baked and crispy. There was a nice combination of breakfast and lunch food. There was some delicious bread pudding and banana crepes. Overall there was plenty of food to enjoy. Because of the high price tag we tried to eat enough to get our money’s worth. I know you are paying for the character interaction as well as the food but I still felt the need to try and get as much of our money back in food as possible. This left me in a food coma, and there was still plenty of food that I didn’t try. If the price tag had been $30 I would have been very satisfied with the interactions and the meal but for the price I would rather be eating at Ohana's or Tusker House.

img_5226.jpg

img_5233.jpg
img_5234.jpg

I love Minnie's baking outfit!
img_5237.jpg
img_5229.jpg
img_5232.jpg

img_5251.jpg

All Goofy wanted to do was hug us
img_5262.jpg
More hugging
img_5266.jpg
Thanks for letting us eat at your kitchen!

(continued...)

The best character interaction at our breakfast was by far Dale. He stole my seat while I was up getting food and took some pictures with my mom. When I got back he admired my engagement ring and insisted on taking some selfies. Here are my last set of Goofy's kitchen photos.

img_5276.jpg
img_5275.jpg
img_5274.jpg
img_5271.jpg
img_5268.jpg
img_5246.jpg
img_5273.jpg

Up next: An afternoon at Downtown Disney

Day 4: Part 2 - Downtown Disney Day

Once we were done we had several hours to kill before it was time to head back to the hotel before leaving for the airport. We spent some time checking out the Disneyland hotel. I know lots of people love this hotel but we both found it a little stuffy and not as comfortable as the Grand. I would love to check out the light up headboards in the rooms but next time we stay on property we will be saving up for GC. Disneyland hotel is also much further of a walk to the parks as it is on the opposite side of Downtown Disney.

img_5267.jpg
I did enjoy this wall paper in one of the bathrooms in the Fantasyland tower

img_5285.jpg

I also enjoy the monorail slides
After we were done with DL hotel we needed a break. My mom hadn’t seen Star Wars yet and I needed a nap so we stopped by the AMC theater in downtown Disney. We went to the 11:45 showing and tickets were less than $7! I got a nice hour long nap in and my mom enjoyed the movie.
img_5277.jpg

Afterwards we wandered around Downtown Disney for several hours. I didn’t take any pictures during this time since I was holding shopping bags and coffee. We were very proud of ourselves for spending less than $200 at World of Disney. We had waited to do most of our souvenir shopping so we bought a couple things for us and the family.

img_5290.jpg
i got my Disneyland Diamond Celebration shirt that I had been eyeing this whole trip
So simple and comfy and a pretty blue
img_5291.jpg
I also picked up this lovely masterpiece
3 cds worth of park and attraction music for like $25

It is now my go to homework music

After getting shopped out we had worked up a small appetite again. We had our very first visit to Earl of Sandwich. I love sandwiches and had heard such great things about this place so we were excited to try it out.
img_5287.jpg
img_5286.jpg

I got the caprese sandwich and potato salad. My mom got a wrap, can't remember which kind.
So what is our verdict on EoS?
It was a decent, very reasonably priced meal but I don't have the need to go out of my way to eat here again.
Maybe this is because we did not try any of their signature meat sandwiches or went on an off day?

When we were done spending money we hung out in our home, the Grand Californian lobby and listened to some piano music while taking in the atmosphere for the last time.
img_5288.jpg
Enjoy our sad faces, so not ready to leave
img_5289.jpg
But the good news is we are working on figuring out a trip back!
We took a lyft from the Grand back to the Hampton Inn. We grabbed our suitcases and stuffed in our new purchases before getting our last Lyft ride of the trip. The first ride we requested didn’t show up and the rider cancelled after 5 minutes. We got another driver and were off to the airport. Even with the cancelled ride, we still only had to wait 8 minutes for our ride, which is way quicker than Super Shuttle. We had used 6 Lyft rides over this trip. With the 5 rides for up to $10 free deal we each got for being first time users, we paid less than $33, including tips for all rides. This was so much cheaper than a taxi or a super shuttle, or a rental car and a lot more convenient than public transportation. We will definitely be using it next time we are at DL.

Our flight home was uneventful. We made it home safe and sound around 1am, exhausted but ready to do it all again.

Thank you so much to everyone who has taken time out of their busy lives to read about my trip! Stay tuned, I am almost done!

Up next: Final Thoughts

Ah, I have a degree in computer engineering so we probably think about things similarly. Same reason I loved Paint the Night so much - thinking of the technology behind it (in addition to the catchy music ;) )
That music is so catchy! So upbeat! So happy! So simple and repetitive to stay stuck in your head for a while!
:dancer:

Final Thoughts:

This trip could not have gone much better. I don’t think we will get so lucky with such short wait times ever again. Even though we were only in the parks for 3 days I was able to get so much done, all of my favorites plus time to try some new things. I was so spoiled to get to stay at the Grand and get an extra unplanned day. After our not so perfect trip last March, this trip really made me fall in love with DLR again. I am really craving some pommel frites and a three cheese monte cristo so I will figure out a way to get back hopefully before the end of 2016.

Thank you to everyone who read this report. I am so glad I finally put myself out there and came out of my lurking status. You guys rock with all of your great comments and support. Now that this trip report is done I am ready to get back to reading all of your guys reports and this time actually commenting every now and then. :thumbsup2

If anyone made it through this report and is looking for something new to read I will be going to WDW February 24-29 and will definitely be writing a trip report, possibly a pre trip report too.

Until next time!
-Cara

Thanks for writing up the trip report and glad that you found it to be a positive experience ... and also that this trip restored DLR in your eyes!

Have a great trip to WDW!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!