Are You...

And (now I’m on a rant) why are whole families going into stores to shop? And elderly people? And morbidly obese people on their ECV’s. These are the people we are trying to protect by taking all these measures. And they seem to not care.

ummmm, maybe they live in an area like mine where there's no such thing as grocery delivery from stores or private vendors (prepared food delivery?:rotfl2::rotfl2:nope, not here), if it is available they may not be able to afford the upcharge/delivery fees many retailers and private vendors have tacked on ('covid charge' now appears on some receipts), walmart and the other stores that even offer curbside have had up until the last week or so 2 week waiting lists for an available time slot, and then there are those people who have children who they can't leave at home alone.

these people care-they care to eat, they care to pick up their meds, they care to not leave their children unattended and at risk.

As I read here and similar discussions on other social media, it seems to me that most of the pull back on wearing a mask comes from the attitude received when anyone says they don’t want to wear one or can’t wear one.

Mocking the word freedom or any definition of the word, is only going to raise the ire of most Americans. Freedom is the most important thing we own. And no one wants it infringed upon.

Saying “I wear one because I care” implies that the other person doesn’t care and the mask wearer is morally superior. Not necessarily the case.

When a person states they cannot wear it because they cannot breathe, have a panic attack, feel like they may pass out, etc they get met with “well it’s uncomfortable but we just have to put up with it”. So we need to care more about the slight chance we have the virus than we need to care about someone else that is honestly unable to breathe or can’t buy groceries without a panic attack or is passing out in the floor?

This mask shaming that goes on doesn’t help a thing and just makes a lot of people dig in their heels about it.

Anyone that honestly cannot or does not want to wear a mask can avoid it in most places. Curbside pick up, delivery, etc for shopping. Outside for recreation. Take the family to a park, River, Creek, the beach—anywhere that you can socially distance and will remain outside. All outdoor places do NOT look like the picture you see online.

I realize that some of you may live somewhere that requires you to put it on when you walk out the front door. And of course that’s different but I do have to say, I am glad I don’t t live in one of those places.

At the extremes this exists in both directions. "I don't live in fear" as a reason not to wear a mask as though those who do are walking around scared all the time, slurs about the masculinity of men who wear masks, etc. But does it really make sense to make your choices based on the rantings of loudmouths on social media?

I agree there are generally plenty of ways to avoid situations where masks would be required or recommended. So then why are anti-mask types making a production of going into places where customers are requested or required to wear masks and then making a scene or being abusive toward employees if they're asked to put one on or leave? That tells me it is about something more than the mask itself or the attitudes of posts they saw on Facebook. It reminds me of the jerks that go out of their way to "roll coal" at hybrid drivers or who deliberately block electric vehicle charging stations - it isn't enough to opt out of doing something themselves, they have to oppose and abuse those who make the opposite choice.

I love the idea of of one way aisles in theory. In practice they don’t work so well. I’m not one to go up and down each aisle but am finding I have to now. It also doesn’t help when 2/3rds (being generous here) of the people are going the wrong way.

The problem with one-way aisles, I think, is that the markings are on the floor. Even if you might notice that when walking normally, pushing a grocery cart obscures the downward vision that it takes to see the arrows. So unless you're consciously thinking about it the entire time you're in the store, it is easy to end up going the wrong way.

I also think that grocery shopping in a mask is unpleasant enough for a lot of people that they aren't interested in "going around the block" every time they need something from an aisle they're at the wrong end of.

There are plenty of reasons why an entire family would be out shopping together. Or a senior citizen. And the comment about obese people is just totally out of line. They have to eat, too. And not everyone has the option to use delivery services for everything. Some people might live in places where delivery services do not deliver to where they live.

There's an awful lot of jumping to conclusions lately. With some of the comments that have been thrown around toward people who disagree with them, I'd like to see some of those individuals have the guts to publicly shame individuals out in the stores that they go to. See how that goes. It's much easier to puff up one's chest when you're a keyboard warrior.

At the extremes this exists in both directions. "I don't live in fear" as a reason not to wear a mask as though those who do are walking around scared all the time, slurs about the masculinity of men who wear masks, etc. But does it really make sense to make your choices based on the rantings of loudmouths on social media?

I agree there are generally plenty of ways to avoid situations where masks would be required or recommended. So then why are anti-mask types making a production of going into places where customers are requested or required to wear masks and then making a scene or being abusive toward employees if they're asked to put one on or leave? That tells me it is about something more than the mask itself or the attitudes of posts they saw on Facebook. It reminds me of the jerks that go out of their way to "roll coal" at hybrid drivers or who deliberately block electric vehicle charging stations - it isn't enough to opt out of doing something themselves, they have to oppose and abuse those who make the opposite choice.

The problem with one-way aisles, I think, is that the markings are on the floor. Even if you might notice that when walking normally, pushing a grocery cart obscures the downward vision that it takes to see the arrows. So unless you're consciously thinking about it the entire time you're in the store, it is easy to end up going the wrong way.

I also think that grocery shopping in a mask is unpleasant enough for a lot of people that they aren't interested in "going around the block" every time they need something from an aisle they're at the wrong end of.

I already asked in one of these threads if people where some of y’all are from are doing those things. It’s not happening like that here. Maybe because it’s too easy just to go to another town where it’s not required. So what I see is a bit of bluff on FB and then the person shopping in the next town over.

There is a lot of back and forth on it. And it’s not something that should go on. Just like the pp telling me about the lady getting yelled at by a bunch of shoppers until she left the store. That isn’t how people should act toward each other.

I already asked in one of these threads if people where some of y’all are from are doing those things. It’s not happening like that here. Maybe because it’s too easy just to go to another town where it’s not required. So what I see is a bit of bluff on FB and then the person shopping in the next town over.

There is a lot of back and forth on it. And it’s not something that should go on. Just like the pp telling me about the lady getting yelled at by a bunch of shoppers until she left the store. That isn’t how people should act toward each other.

I must not have seen that question.

I'm in an area where it is happening, and I've witnessed it myself as well as heard about it from friends who work at "essential" stores in the area. I'm about an hour from the city where a store employee was shot for refusing an unmasked person entry, and there have been numerous cases in the nearest metro area of people arrested for deliberately coughing, spitting, biting or otherwise physically assaulting workers over masks. At least two groceries and a dollar store in my immediate area have instructed employees not to say anything about the mask requirement to customers rather than risk a confrontation.

I'm closer to the overly cautions end of the spectrum and believe we are opening far too early. I'd keep restaurants, salons, tattoo places, bars, and gyms closed at least another month if not more. I am not really at risk but also don't want to carry this to someone that is. When I do go out to a store I wear a mask and only one of us goes. Our son hasn't been anywhere other than some parks with trails and on walks around the neighborhood since mid-March. We did go to my mom's a few times but we stayed in the yard while she was on the porch. If daycares open we plan to keep him home at least a month after they open to see what is going on. When I go into the office it is an empty office and I go right in and close the door behind me.

If that makes me a slave of "the man" or whatever people say so be it.

I'm closer to the overly cautions end of the spectrum and believe we are opening far too early.

This is me too. We, as a state, WERE being cautious. Now all of sudden we went from most stores, restaurants, etc being closed to virtually everything being open it seems overnight. That's okay. I will continue to do what I am comfortable with. Limited shopping, staying out of restaurants and away from places where people gather. I'll let others be the guinea pigs.

We've been on Phase 1 since Monday and I haven't been able to get a hair appointment anywhere. It seems most salons are operating with reduced staff AND strictly limiting the number of people in the shops at any one time. Apparently Great Clips are only having one stylist on each side of the room so there's a maximum of two customers in there at any given time. Waitlists on their app were in excess of 300 minutes every time I've checked.

I started calling opticians on Monday; they're open again by appointment only. Only one called me back and I had an appointment this morning. Masking was mandatory and before I could get past the threshold I had to answer Covid-screening questions and hand-sanitize. My wallet and phone had to be placed in a plastic bag and kept there for the duration. There were 3 opticians in the very large showroom and one customer each. The chair I was offered was sanitized while I watched prior to my being seated. The guy walked me around the displays and I was not permitted to touch any frames. He took down the ones I wanted to see and after I tried them on they were dumped in a vat of disinfecting solution. It was hard to tell whether or not I liked the frames with the mask on. I hope the ones I picked turn out OK.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts