Aren't Graduations Grand! - May 2015 TR (New 10/30 - MK and California Grill)

We really had a great time! There are a TON of thrill rides, which I know are not quite up your alley... but the details of the two Potter lands are pretty amazing. I would definitely recommend checking it out sometime!
You remembered! :laughing: I so wish I could handle thrill rides... well, I wish my stomach could!

(And I swear - the loudspeaker announcement wasn't even for me that time! :laughing: )
:rotfl2:

If you love chocolate, TRY THIS! It’s pretty rich, but it’s DELICIOUS!
OH. MY. GOSH. This looks incredible!!!

This show gives you “behind-the-scenes” secrets for how the movies create so many of the horror film effects.
I would absolutely love this show! Sounds like a great time :thumbsup2

EVERY PICTURE! :rotfl:

:laughing:

I don't believe so... we never saw him!

Probably sleeping.

It really did! My picture timestamp is before 9:00, but they must've started letting people in a few minutes early. It's also possible that everyone else from the resorts got there around 8:30 and greatly increased the wait time!

They really shouldn't let other people in the park until you're done there for the day.

There are a few pictures of the queue in my 2012 TR, in case you're interested. ;)

Okay!

Does Gilly Water have Gilly Weed in it? ;)

We'll say yes! :laughing:

Try it and see.

It really was! It was so much more efficient than breaking out those elbows again to score a table!

But not as much fun.

:laughing: Not quite. Lemonade, pumpkin juice, Butterbeer, and water. And I believe milk as well?

Huh! Surprises me.

Back later to read the update.

(which makes a trip reporter a little irritated)

I would be so annoyed, LOL!

Gilly Water (also known as regular water in a special bottle for a premium price!

Haha, clever marketing on their part.

Hulk coaster is VERY bumpy! Neither of us felt all that great after riding so it was our only time on Hulk. :crazy2: Perhaps rebuilding the track improved the experience, but I don’t think I’d hightail it back there as-is.

Oh no, hope it has improved. I went on this in 2011. I did remember liking it and that was after a lot of convincing from DH because sometimes I am a chicken.

There were obviously major issues with the ride, as soon they turned on the lights and then wove us all the way through the ride.

So weird! But kinda cool too.

We LOVED the fish and chips during our prior visit, so that was a must-do:

That looks amazing! Is the Three Broomsticks table service or quick service?

P1070541_zps0f1z5vm6.jpg

Looks like they got decorating tips from Gaston!

I have no idea why we skipped it last time – it’s a pretty calm ride and provides a lot of great views of the park!

It's like Universal's Peoplemover!

If you love chocolate, TRY THIS! It’s pretty rich, but it’s DELICIOUS!

Mmm looks good!

You wouldn’t think some sandwiches in a case would be that tasty, but holy cow, they were great! Both of us raved about our food. Similar to the crack in the Disney popcorn, the potato salad here was incredible! It tasted very fresh and light, not nearly as “manufactured” as most quicker service potato salad tends to be. Finally, the cheesecake was DELICIOUS!

Looks like a yummy dinner! Will have to keep it in mind!
Can't wait for Diagon Alley!

After our very tasty lunch, we stopped in Moaning Myrtle’s bathroom and swapped out our regular clothes for others that were more water-friendly. We could’ve waited to change in a bathroom closer to the front of the park, but it’s far more fun to visit Myrtle!

So what happens? Is it just her voice? Or are there visuals as well?

Obviously such an extreme ride that people resort to writing their last will and testaments or recording themselves for their loved ones should they fail to return. Very smart.

After our train ride in the sky, we beelined for a favorite of mine, the Caro-Seuss-el. I love carousels and not many of them come with Seuss characters!

Not a fan myself, but... that's one nice carousel.

I’ve seen pictures on other trip reports, but I didn’t take any myself during the ride as they seemed MILITANT about pictures on the ride! They actually stopped the ride at one point and made a loudspeaker announcement to put cameras away!

Whoa. They really didn't want photos taken.
Disney stealing their ideas?

(And I swear - the loudspeaker announcement wasn't even for me that time! :laughing: )

We thought the dump shop where you exited the ride was pretty cute:

P1070563_zpsswzpyc0d.jpg
Love that.

the Universal water rides are SERIOUS BUSINESS.

Seriously?

the following photos were taken either earlier in the morning or on the following day.

What??? Totally cheating!!

And no photos of you guys grinning ear to ear, soaked to the skin?

First up was Dudley Do-Right’s Ripsaw Falls:

P1070517_zpstvumhyki.jpg

I can see what you mean about seriously soaked. If the splash doesn't get you...

holy man alive was it COLD in the building where you entered the logs once you were soaking wet! TURN OFF THE AIR CONDITIONING! :cold:

brrr.... You'd think they'd have heaters instead.... except for the poor schmucks who were dry and dying from the Florida heat... :rolleyes:

I would guess that many folks consider this a must-do even if they’re just in the park for the day. I’m sure they really appreciated sitting beside two people that were already dripping wet! :rotfl:

Oh, sure. Who wouldn't? Next time I'm on a plane or something, I hope my seatmates are soaking wet too. Would make for a more enjoyable flight.

First up was something we LOVED last time, the Cauldron Cake:

P1070570_zpsomjigcab.jpg

Okay, that looks totally decadent.

This was just okay for us. It was good, but the raisins in it made it a bit odd?

Raisins in fudge?

no.

Love the float plane. Grumman Albatross I think from the bit of research I did.

I don’t know that I ever read about the Beverly Hills Boulangerie during my trip planning research, but what a nice surprise! It wasn’t even wall-to-wall people in there (which was surprising for 5:30 at night!) and we had super-fresh food!

Nice call Anika!

You owe her now.

Similar to the crack in the Disney popcorn, the potato salad here was incredible!

Really! That's so rare in a restaurant.

Anika won the dinner points that evening, first for dealing with my grumpy mood, and secondly, for finding such as great spot! :thumbsup2

You guys have a dining point system? Huh.

I’d heard such good things that I convinced Anika that we should try the Horror Makeup Show!

That sounds like fun, actually.

Once we arrived at our destination, it was pretty fun to see replicated props and secrets from horror movies through the years (located in the show's lobby):

Cool!

A group of adult children all pointed to their mother, who was the person selected by the hosts.

:laughing: I wonder if she had any idea what she was being volunteered for.

\

Yikes!

She really jumped back once he started coming at her without her "command"! It made the rest of us jump, too!

:laughing: Wish I'd seen that!

This is a simulated “roller coaster” where you ride with the Simpsons clan in Krustyland. Unfortunately, Sideshow Bob has escaped and is out to get you! It’s includes the feeling of a lot of darts and drops – anything thrill riders like us would love!

How bumpy/jarring was it?

On the way, we spotted the Knight Bus (with a HUGE line to meet Stan Shunpike!):

Really! That long a line? He's that popular?

I also grabbed a shot of Kreacher peeking through the window at 12 Grimmauld Place (at such a bad angle that all you can see is his hand!):

Gotta hand it to you. That's quite the shot.

Whew! Caught up.

So nice that you could meet Dugette.

We really got a kick out of the Maleficent “ears”:

P1070260_zpsvesvf5bv.jpg

They look...warm.

I dropped Anika off at the front entrance of the resort with all our luggage and then drove to the self-parking lot. And then I drove around, and around, and around… AND DID NOT FIND ONE SINGLE EMPTY SPOT! :( To say I was aggravated was a bit of an understatement. Why on earth was this (seemingly large) parking lot not big enough?! :furious:

Oh, I would not be amused.

Yup, first-rate photography, right there! :thumbsup2 Truth be told, I didn’t want to anger others behind me in line (including my travel companion!) by slowing down! :laughing:

I remember pausing for a photo in that line, when the line was moving slowly, and people tried to go past me. I think it's a Universal thing.

The exterior is still there, but with the edition of Weasley’s Wizard Wheezes in Diagon Alley, Universal must’ve thought two joke shops were overkill.

Oh wow, I didn't know that. Zonko's was there when I visited, but that was a number of years ago now!!

It’s mentioned in many trip reports, but as the Hogsmeade shops are really compact I would recommend dropping in early!

Agreed!

We LOVED the fish and chips during our prior visit, so that was a must-do:

P1070537_zpskw01g47c.jpg

We had purchased the chicken and ribs combo last time, but weren’t impressed with the ribs. This time we selected the chicken-only meal:

P1070536_zpsjokryx66.jpg

Wow, those look good!

Clothing change accomplished, it was time to visit some favorite characters from Dr. Seuss!

Since we were only there a day we didn't get to spend any time there. Our time was spent mostly in Hogsmeade.

Anika wasn’t so sure about sitting in a show, but she and I agreed that the Horror Makeup Show is great fun! You learn several interesting secrets and the hosts (at least the ones we had!) make it pretty entertaining! The show is only about 30 minutes long, so it could be a wonderful break from the heat or from standing on your feet. I’d love to see it again!

It sounds great. I'd check that out.

Enjoyed this update. You covered a bunch of things I'd never even heard of in the Universal reports I've read. Good idea to test out the water rides w/o ponchos while staying onsite!

You remembered! :laughing: I so wish I could handle thrill rides... well, I wish my stomach could!

Of course I remembered! :-)

I think thrill rides even become more difficult with age - I can't take multiple rides on the really crazy roller coasters as well as I used to! :laughing:

I may have gotten a stern look from my travel companion though, with an extra warning of, "See! You better not take any pictures!" :rotfl:

OH. MY. GOSH. This looks incredible!!!

SO delicious! It's like a better version of a Hostess cupcake on chocolate steroids! :thumbsup2

I would absolutely love this show! Sounds like a great time :thumbsup2

It was great! I'm so glad we stopped for it!

Probably sleeping.

Yes - half giants must require a lot of naps. :goodvibes

They really shouldn't let other people in the park until you're done there for the day.

I know! They should be more courteous to those of us who woke up so early! :laughing:

But not as much fun

Nope, not nearly!

Huh! Surprises me.

I believe it was a JK Rowling request - no drinks that wouldn't have been available in the actual Wizarding World.

I would be so annoyed, LOL!

I was! You didn't even have the option to enter with your camera and then exit prior to riding! >:(

Haha, clever marketing on their part.

Very much so! We bought several bottles of it for the novelty alone! :rotfl:

Oh no, hope it has improved. I went on this in 2011. I did remember liking it and that was after a lot of convincing from DH because sometimes I am a chicken.

I hope so, too! I liked the ride when we tried it in 2012, but we were both surprised how much our heads bounced around in 2015. Hopefully the new track made it smoother!

So weird! But kinda cool too.

True for both! We'd never ridden it before so we weren't immediately aware there was a problem - but when were were stopped and they kept repeating the same dialog... that wasn't a good sign!

That looks amazing! Is the Three Broomsticks table service or quick service?

Quick service! I think they may have a breakfast that requires some sort of reservation, but you can walk in for lunch or dinner anytime (we've only been there for lunch). We've always been very impressed with the food! It's a must-do for every trip!

Looks like they got decorating tips from Gaston!

That pesky Gaston...

It's like Universal's Peoplemover!

Yes! The only (negative) difference is you're buckled in pretty tight - not nearly as relaxing as the Peoplemover! The views are pretty great, though!

Mmm looks good!

It's delicious! Very decadent! :thumbsup2

Looks like a yummy dinner! Will have to keep it in mind!
Can't wait for Diagon Alley!

It was a wonderful surprise! I didn't have high expectations for a pre-made sandwich, but it really hit the spot. The potato salad was especially tasty!

Diagon Alley will be coming up this evening! (SO MANY PICTURES to sort through! :laughing: )

So what happens? Is it just her voice? Or are there visuals as well?

Just her voice, but it's pretty neat regardless!

Obviously such an extreme ride that people resort to writing their last will and testaments or recording themselves for their loved ones should they fail to return. Very smart.

:rotfl:

Not a fan myself, but... that's one nice carousel.

It's really colorful and fun! I always enjoy at least one ride on the Disney carousel each trip. Since the Universal carousel is so different, we had to ride that one, too!

Whoa. They really didn't want photos taken.
Disney stealing their ideas?

They were VERY serious about no pictures! I think they had a lot of comments about no pictures on the Jurassic Park River Adventure as well, but as we'd stowed our phones and camera that wasn't a problem for that ride. It was a bit bizarre!

:thumbsup2

Love that.

It was such a fun touch!

Seriously?

Yes. Seriously drenched. :umbrella:

What??? Totally cheating!!

And no photos of you guys grinning ear to ear, soaked to the skin?

Yes, a bit of a trip report fail, there.

I'll be sure to get the "soaked" picture if Grant and I do the same thing this fall! (That's the plan, but it depends on the weather!)

I can see what you mean about seriously soaked. If the splash doesn't get you...

It's rather ridiculous how soaked you get on those rides. They're fun, though!

brrr.... You'd think they'd have heaters instead.... except for the poor schmucks who were dry and dying from the Florida heat... :rolleyes:

YES! I know we appreciated it before our first ride, but good gracious it was FREEZING when we were sopping wet! :laughing:

Oh, sure. Who wouldn't? Next time I'm on a plane or something, I hope my seatmates are soaking wet too. Would make for a more enjoyable flight.

In all reality, though, you can't get too bent out of shape if you're on a WATER ride and you're sitting next to other wet people. It's inevitable anyway!

Okay, that looks totally decadent

It's rather rich but SO GOOD!

Raisins in fudge?

no.

Yes, not our favorite. We bought it for the novelty - I think maybe I'd go for the Butterbeer fudge next time. Or perhaps another Cauldron Cake! :thumbsup2

Love the float plane. Grumman Albatross I think from the bit of research I did.

It was a nice touch!

Nice call Anika!

You owe her now.

Um, I'm pretty sure she's still in the hole from the whole "17 day free vacation" thing... ;)

But, yes, she chose very well! :thumbsup2

Really! That's so rare in a restaurant

It was such a great surprise! The whole restaurant was a pleasant surprise!

You guys have a dining point system? Huh.

Not really. :-) Just another way of saying she made a great choice!

That sounds like fun, actually.

It was really fun! I highly recommend the show!

The different displays were really neat! I wish we would've had more time to look around in there!

:laughing: I wonder if she had any idea what she was being volunteered for.

Nope, I'm pretty sure she didn't! :rotfl:

I felt somewhat bad for her as it was obvious that she had no clue what was going on. She was a really good sport, though!

I was amazing how real it looked!

:laughing: Wish I'd seen that!

We all jumped pretty high out of our seats! She looked like she was going to run away! :rotfl:

How bumpy/jarring was it?

Not nearly as bad as the Hulk coaster! :laughing:

Really, not too bad. You definitely felt like you were on a roller coaster, though! It's a fun ride!

Really! That long a line? He's that popular?

I think because there are so few Potter "character" available for meet and greets he garners a lot of attention? I didn't get a picture with Stan due to a bit of frustration with Anika, but I intend to rectify that on our next trip!

Gotta hand it to you. That's quite the shot.

Thanks! :goodvibes

Whew! Caught up.

So nice that you could meet Dugette.

She was just delightful! It was almost surreal to meet her in person after reading about her for so many years!

They look...warm.

Yes - they would've been REALLY warm in that Florida heat! :laughing: Perhaps they're a better choice in December for chilly evenings!

Oh, I would not be amused.

I was NOT amused. All I wanted to do was park the car, darn it! >:(

I remember pausing for a photo in that line, when the line was moving slowly, and people tried to go past me. I think it's a Universal thing

Although many people take photographs at Universal, especially in the Harry Potter sections, it seemed less prominent than Disney. People certainly don't want your stopped to get in their way of the ride!

Oh wow, I didn't know that. Zonko's was there when I visited, but that was a number of years ago now!!

I read that on another report before our trip and then confirmed it in-person. It's too bad, in a way, as Zonko's was fun (and true to the books, as Zonko's is available in Hogsmeade), but I understand the lack of need for two joke shops.

SO small. The Diagon Alley shops are not huge, by any means, but they seemed to hold crowds a bit better than their Hogsmeade counterparts!

Wow, those look good!

The meals at Three Broomsticks have always been very good! We were impressed in 2012 and remained so in 2015!

Since we were only there a day we didn't get to spend any time there. Our time was spent mostly in Hogsmeade.

Understandable - that's the best part of the park! It was nice to have some extra time to explore the rest of IOA.

It sounds great. I'd check that out.

It was a great show! I'd love to see it again as I think the experience would change depending on the volunteer and the audience reactions. (Plus, it's been a few years so I've certainly forgotten some of it! :laughing: )

Enjoyed this update. You covered a bunch of things I'd never even heard of in the Universal reports I've read. Good idea to test out the water rides w/o ponchos while staying onsite!

Thank you!

We tried to do just about everything (at least, everything we were interested in) as we had several days. Don't get me wrong, we LOVED the Harry Potter sections, but we enjoyed exploring the other areas, too.

Experiencing the water rides without ponchos was fun, but I don't think I'd do it without being able to shower and change into dry clothes!

The Contemporary usually doesn’t need a flood of cabs, so it was a bit slow-going at first. However, I will say that the valets at the Contemporary were absolute rock stars. They started creating a list of those needing a cab, and also began requesting additional cabs. There were a few weenies that attempted to jump the line and take their own cab, but the valets jumped right in there to make sure the cabs were picking up in the order of the list. Like I said – rock stars!

It took about 45 minutes, but we finally caught our cab back to Pop Century. Thank you, awesome Contemporary Resort valets! :worship:
Its those Disney touches like that... the fact that it was complete chaos but they made the extra effort to make it work in an orderly fashion.

If only they could do the same for some of the forms of Disney transportation. :rotfl:

Pop is such a fun resort! I’ve read reports that it’s become a bit dodgier (some service issues and such) recently, but we really enjoyed our time there. I enjoyed it so much that I returned there during my most recent trip in 2016 with my mom!
I love Pop. It might not necessarily be my first choice of resorts, all else being equal, but if I need a few nights or am trying to work with a tight budget, I would never hesitate to stay there. It's a great resort.

I’ve read so many trip and dining reports with this spot and it was great to finally fit it in! (That’s somewhat easy to do when you have a two week vacation! :laughing: )
Beaches n Cream... I've had ADRs multiple times but never yet managed to find a reasonable way to fit it into our plans. One of these days...

As a bonus, all of our eyes are open in a single picture! (Dugette didn’t have the same luck on her photos – as I often close my eyes in pictures, I’m glad we got at least one!)
Well, it is a great picture. I'm glad you got to meet one of your Dis legends.

I dropped Anika off at the front entrance of the resort with all our luggage and then drove to the self-parking lot. And then I drove around, and around, and around… AND DID NOT FIND ONE SINGLE EMPTY SPOT! :( To say I was aggravated was a bit of an understatement. Why on earth was this (seemingly large) parking lot not big enough?!
Holy crap. That's just crazy. Sorry you had to pay the extra few bucks for valet instead.

Let me tell you that the Express Pass is AWESOME!
::yes::

Overall, we LOVED the Royal Pacific! Many Disney folks seem to be ho-hum about the Universal resorts, but we really liked staying on property at Universal.
I've seen a lot of good things about the resorts. I've never stayed at one, but honestly, if we had time to fit in a couple of Universal days on a trip I would most definitely stay on site.

About time... I expected you to dump your crap in your room and take off at a dead sprint toward Harry.

Also known as NOT the new section of Harry Potter, but the part we’ve already visited.

So, not exactly our plan, but we might as well enjoy it while we’re here!
Well, I guess there's something to be said for just going with the flow.

We NEVER wait in long lines, so I don’t know what possessed us to jump right in? I think we on the beginning of a vacation high, and therefore thought that 30 minutes (the posted wait time) would not be so bad.

One positive of the longer wait time is we got to walk past sections of the queue that weren’t open during our past visit due to the shorter lines. We finally got to see the Mandrakes!
Ok, 30 minute posted wait isn't bad. I'm not the biggest fan of that ride, but I'd even consider getting in that line at that time of the day.

Finally, finally about 50 minutes (!) later, we finally saw this:
Oh wow... that is brutal. 30 minutes I can deal with. 50 minutes for some rides... maybe... if I'm expecting to wait that long.

I’ve read several trip reports that mention that this attraction is not great for those with motion sickness issues, which Anika and I thankfully don’t suffer from.
It's the screens... The other parts aren't so bad. But I'm glad that it isn't an issue for you and that you love this ride so much. It's one of those I'd probably do every trip, but only if I don't have to wait in an absurdly long line. And if I don't get to, it wouldn't bother me much.

Yes, the line may have been a little shorter:
Just slightly shorter!

Yup, first-rate photography, right there! :thumbsup2 Truth be told, I didn’t want to anger others behind me in line (including my travel companion!) by slowing down! :laughing:
You spent 50 minutes in this queue, not moving, the night before. Are you telling me there are actually things you felt a need to take a picture of that you didn't already get????

Despite being on Day 3, us Midwesterners were still not used to the Florida heat and humidity so we stopped at a cart for some Gilly Water (also known as regular water in a special bottle for a premium price! :laughing: ):
25 cents worth of water for 8 bucks. :lmao:

This is another attraction that forces you to drop off your bag and empty the contents of your pockets into a locker. Hence, no pictures of the queue. Anika and I are major thrill ride fans (my favorite Disney ride is Tower of Terror, for goodness sake!), but the Hulk coaster is VERY bumpy! Neither of us felt all that great after riding so it was our only time on Hulk. :crazy2: Perhaps rebuilding the track improved the experience, but I don’t think I’d hightail it back there as-is.
My favorite ride... probably my favorite ride in central Florida. I would have to think the refurb helped make it smoother. I mean when you're looking at a complete track tear down and rebuild, I'm sure they got it in good shape. Just think how long that track had been there running 365 days/year with that kind of speed and G force. It's taken some abuse over the years.

For your amusement, Spiderman with no projections and in full light! (Pictures still proved difficult, as we still rode on the darting-around ride sequence. It was really strange in full light and with no Spidey!)
That would definitely be a different experience. I'm sorry your first time on that ride was a little bit of a letdown.

I’ve seen pictures on other trip reports, but I didn’t take any myself during the ride as they seemed MILITANT about pictures on the ride! They actually stopped the ride at one point and made a loudspeaker announcement to put cameras away! :eek: (And I swear - the loudspeaker announcement wasn't even for me that time! :laughing: )
This is how our train conductor was when I rode Hogwarts Express. I just had my phone in my hand checking a text or something and got yelled at for taking pictures.

With staying onsite, we were excited to try the attractions the way they were to be experienced – poncho-free! :hyper:
:rotfl::lmao: Doing it right!

The closest Disney counterpart would be Kali River Rapids in Animal Kingdom. Similar to pretty much any river raft ride, we were DRENCHED with water, but the storyline with Bluto kidnapping Olive Oyl and Popeye coming to the rescue was fun.
It's only similar to Kali in that it is a raft ride. It is so much longer and it guarantees you'll get soaked. I don't think I've ever seen anyone come off that one with a dry spot anywhere.

We relaxed at the resort and then cleaned up for our return to the park. It was FINALLY time to see Diagon Alley! :yay:
What took you so long? I seriously expected you to be in some Potter crazed trance and bolt for this immediately when you arrived. :rotfl:

I don’t know that I ever read about the Beverly Hills Boulangerie during my trip planning research, but what a nice surprise! It wasn’t even wall-to-wall people in there (which was surprising for 5:30 at night!) and we had super-fresh food!
I've ate there before. I guess it isn't something that I'd seek out with all the other themed options in the park and Citywalk right there, but I do remember having a pretty good sandwich.

I know! They should be more courteous to those of us who woke up so early! :laughing:

You're darned tootin!

I believe it was a JK Rowling request - no drinks that wouldn't have been available in the actual Wizarding World.

Really! Did not know that.

Yes, a bit of a trip report fail, there.

I'll be sure to get the "soaked" picture if Grant and I do the same thing this fall! (That's the plan, but it depends on the weather!)

Two strikes and you're out.

In all reality, though, you can't get too bent out of shape if you're on a WATER ride and you're sitting next to other wet people. It's inevitable anyway!

Pretty much. :)

Um, I'm pretty sure she's still in the hole from the whole "17 day free vacation" thing... ;)

:laughing: Good point.

I think because there are so few Potter "character" available for meet and greets he garners a lot of attention? I didn't get a picture with Stan due to a bit of frustration with Anika, but I intend to rectify that on our next trip!

Frustration with Anika? As in "I'm not waiting 45 minutes to see a bus driver!"

Its those Disney touches like that... the fact that it was complete chaos but they made the extra effort to make it work in an orderly fashion.

If only they could do the same for some of the forms of Disney transportation. :rotfl:

They were so great! I wish we could've figured out how to get to the busses as I'm sure that would've been faster, but the Contemporary valets made for a great story!

And yes, that's definitely true! :laughing:

I love Pop. It might not necessarily be my first choice of resorts, all else being equal, but if I need a few nights or am trying to work with a tight budget, I would never hesitate to stay there. It's a great resort.

It really is! We enjoyed our stay there in 2016 as well!

Beaches n Cream... I've had ADRs multiple times but never yet managed to find a reasonable way to fit it into our plans. One of these days...

I'm so glad we found a way to go! It was on Anika's "must-do" list for this trip, but I would've worked it in anyway. I think I'd choose a different entrée next time, but the ice cream was excellent!

Well, it is a great picture. I'm glad you got to meet one of your Dis legends.

Thanks! It WAS like meeting a legend!

Holy crap. That's just crazy. Sorry you had to pay the extra few bucks for valet instead.

I was SO IRRITATED. I know it was Memorial Day weekend so it was likely busy, but that self-parking lot was not nearly big enough for the size of the resort. Universal's resort parking blows.

It made touring SO easy!

I've seen a lot of good things about the resorts. I've never stayed at one, but honestly, if we had time to fit in a couple of Universal days on a trip I would most definitely stay on site.

I highly recommend it! It's hard to beat an easy walk to the parks and an easy walk back to the resort for a break!

About time... I expected you to dump your crap in your room and take off at a dead sprint toward Harry.

Frankly, I'm surprised we didn't do that either! I think we felt like we had so much time ahead of us that we were fine with meandering and exploring!

Well, I guess there's something to be said for just going with the flow.

There is. It was nice compared to our usual, frantic pace. :goodvibes

Ok, 30 minute posted wait isn't bad. I'm not the biggest fan of that ride, but I'd even consider getting in that line at that time of the day.

Oh wow... that is brutal. 30 minutes I can deal with. 50 minutes for some rides... maybe... if I'm expecting to wait that long.

I honestly don't know what we were thinking. Once we'd waited for such a long time it seemed foolish to jump out of line. So we kept waiting...

And waiting...

o_O

It's the screens... The other parts aren't so bad. But I'm glad that it isn't an issue for you and that you love this ride so much. It's one of those I'd probably do every trip, but only if I don't have to wait in an absurdly long line. And if I don't get to, it wouldn't bother me much.

I'm hoping Grant will survive all of Universal's screens. He's fine on roller coasters but has issues on spinning rides... I realize it's not actually "spinning" but I hope it's not the same sensation/result!

Just slightly shorter!

Thank goodness!

You spent 50 minutes in this queue, not moving, the night before. Are you telling me there are actually things you felt a need to take a picture of that you didn't already get????

It's a disease... :rotfl2:

25 cents worth of water for 8 bucks. :lmao:

Yep, sounds about right! :laughing:

My favorite ride... probably my favorite ride in central Florida. I would have to think the refurb helped make it smoother. I mean when you're looking at a complete track tear down and rebuild, I'm sure they got it in good shape. Just think how long that track had been there running 365 days/year with that kind of speed and G force. It's taken some abuse over the years.

I hope so! I remember liking it in 2012, so I was disappointed that it seemed so much more rough in 2015. I hope to try it again this year (although likely solo as Grant won't go on rides that go upside down!

That would definitely be a different experience. I'm sorry your first time on that ride was a little bit of a letdown.

It was just bizarre. I'm glad we got a chance to ride it again the way it's supposed to be seen!

This is how our train conductor was when I rode Hogwarts Express. I just had my phone in my hand checking a text or something and got yelled at for taking pictures.

Good grief! Universal is a little nuts when it comes to picture taking. Thankfully I didn't get any comments when I took pictures of the HE the following day, but I guess I wouldn't have been surprised!

:rotfl::lmao: Doing it right!

You bet! It was actually pretty darn fun! (And wet!)

It's only similar to Kali in that it is a raft ride. It is so much longer and it guarantees you'll get soaked. I don't think I've ever seen anyone come off that one with a dry spot anywhere.

Yes. COMPLETELY SOAKED!

What took you so long? I seriously expected you to be in some Potter crazed trance and bolt for this immediately when you arrived. :rotfl:

:confused3

With early entry at IOA, we expected Diagon Alley to be packed come later in the morning and throughout the afternoon. We thought we'd have a better chance with fewer people in the evening!

I've ate there before. I guess it isn't something that I'd seek out with all the other themed options in the park and Citywalk right there, but I do remember having a pretty good sandwich.

I agree that it's not my first choice, but it was a pleasant surprise and the food really hit the spot!

Really! Did not know that.

Yes! I think I read it in an article or perhaps saw it on a Wizarding World special...

Two strikes and you're out.

Duly noted! ;)

:laughing: Good point.

Darn tootin'! :thumbsup2

Frustration with Anika? As in "I'm not waiting 45 minutes to see a bus driver!"

I think it was mid-day frustration combined with some poor communication. Oh well.. next time!

Welcome to Diagon Alley!
Day 3 – Part III

With a bit of searching, we figured out how to reach the Diagon Alley entrance:

P1070646_zpsf0xd3xtq.jpg

HELLO, DIAGON ALLEY!

P1070645_zps4jgxufij.jpg

And, HELLO DRAGON AT THE END OF DIAGON ALLEY!

P1070652_zpsf3gk3mde.jpg

(Nope. Not excited at all…)

:jumping1:

Guys, when people exclaim that Diagon Alley was well done, THIS IS AN UNDERSTATEMENT. Anika and I were completely blown away by Hogsmeade three years before, and Hogsmeade does not even COMPARE to Diagon Alley! It is a completely immersive experience, and there are 1,001 things to notice, study, and explore. There are details that I’ve noticed in others’ trip reports that I DIDN’T EVEN SEE. I recommend you slow down, take your time, and enjoy EVERYTHING. It is truly magical.

Universal, a huge round of applause to you from two major Disney fans. We were ridiculously impressed.

:worship: :worship: :worship:

Overwhelmed with where to start, the first thing we did was turn around and look at the entrance we’d just come through. In true attention to every detail, you could see the rooms at the Leaky Cauldron!

P1070650_zpswz5j3sfm.jpg

We couldn’t wait to start looking through the stores! Close to the entrance is Quality Quidditch supplies, which had plenty of Qudditch-wear and even replacement Quidditch balls and supplies:

P1070648_zpskzge0687.jpg

Hey look, a Firebolt!

P1070628_zpshgbbny8x.jpg

We enjoyed looking at the Qudditch items, but that didn’t even compare to the next shop:

P1070649_zpszlcmdmsj.jpg

Weasley Wizard Wheezes! I tell you, the outside of shop was straight out of the movie!

And not surprisingly, so was the inside! It was AMAZINGLY detailed!

P1070643_zpsrcernzbb.jpg

P1070636_zpsjmjc9fmm.jpg

It even had a Delores Umbridge wheeling back and forth on a unicycle (another movie reference!):

P1070635_zpsyac70a7f.jpg

This store had tons of things mentioned in the books, including:

P1070637_zpsg8tsbnp5.jpg

P1070638_zpsjsabfqzl.jpg

P1070631_zpskyqjvqm4.jpg

P1070642_zpslffkz3bu.jpg

I was squealing with delight every time I turned around. SO FUN!!!

Our next shop is another that’s very familiar to those who have read the books. If we’re in the Wizarding World, we better visit Madam Malkin’s Robes for All Occasions:

P1070656_zpsgh5fkmek.jpg

The shop has tons of wizard wear, including scarves and robes (and prefect pins!). They also had some cute clutches and coin purses (which you can see in the picture above) and I'm kicking myself for not purchasing one!

They also had Bill and Fleur’s wedding outfits on display:

P1070655_zps8aql1cpz.jpg

And you can even purchase your very own Harry or Ron sweater!

P1070657_zpsyccjueiq.jpg

Next we ducked into the Eeylops Owl Emporium:

P1070660_zpsg5jlptkp.jpg

P1070659_zpsexerre2d.jpg

And also stuck our heads into Ollivanders, although we didn’t wait for the show:

P1070663_zpsmtpteugf.jpg

P1070664_zpsflgjufcl.jpg

(continued in next post)

Last edited:
(continued from previous post)

There is another street on the backside of Diagon Alley which has additional shops to wander through:

P1070666_zpsyscz5a4p.jpg

We enjoyed walking through Wiseacres Wizarding Equipment:

P1070667_zpsau8vlxqq.jpg

P1070669_zpscits19ke.jpg

And Scribbulus:

P1070671_zpsvzorqp3g.jpg

Wiseacres has a celestial magical theme and sells fun things like glassware and crystal balls, while Scribbulus is the best place to pick up a quill or other fun notes and paper supplies.

We also looked in the Money Exchange, where you can exchange real dollars for wizard money:

P1070676_zps8dbbedhs.jpg

We didn’t stop to chat with the goblin, but he was happy to talk to the others in the shop!

P1070672_zpszubix67z.jpg

We also elected to not exchange our Muggle money for Wizard money, but I think I’d like to try it this fall! You are able to use the Gringotts notes anywhere in the Wizarding World (and I think the rest of Universal as well) to purchase fun souvenirs, but I may just keep the money as the souvenir!

This back street also includes the stage where they perform the shows in Diagon Alley:

P1070678_zps6vzczkoz.jpg

We missed ALL the shows on this trip as we tended to be in Diagon Alley either early in the morning or late at night. I’ve heard nothing but good things about them so I’d love to see them sometime! High on my list for September is to finally see the Tale of the Three Brothers!

Here’s your view as you loop through the back of the side street and head back toward the main entrance, which includes the Hopping Pot for drinks and beer:

P1070679_zpsjge9mld5.jpg

Our next stop was the infamous Knockturn Alley:

P1070680_zpsbfxgvi21.jpg

I’d heard GREAT things about this area of Diagon Alley and couldn’t wait to check it out. We also wanted to see the Knockturn Alley shop, Borgin and Burkes:

P1070691_zpsdoj2hxqw.jpg

OH MY GOODNESS. Knockturn Alley was INCREDIBLE! I’m not sure that small children would be fans as it’s SUPER dark in there, but the atmosphere is PERFECT (plus they pump in the air conditioning so it was an awesome respite from the heat!).

We found Borgin and Burkes without much trouble:

P1070681_zpsjx9ggyof.jpg

(Yes, Knockturn Alley IS that dark!)

In addition to tons of merchandise to appeal to the Slytherin crowd, there are also some great items from the books!

P1070686_zps72sxcr3u.jpg

P1070684_zpsgy3o2zvt.jpg

I was never able to get a picture of the vanishing cabinet (next time!), but did capture the cursed necklace:

P1070685_zpshhyw1ggv.jpg

It’s a super cool store – perhaps my favorite of the bunch! Similar to Weasley Wizard Wheezes, every square inch of that store was perfect. Even the storekeepers were perfectly creepy – Borgin would be so proud!

The rest of Knockturn Alley was equally creepy, and the additional windows include shawdows and occasional crawling bugs (not to mention the occasional strange noise in the background):

P1070689_zpsslmmayzr.jpg

Knockturn Alley was ridiculously well done. I’d love to wander through there again!

After our walk on the magical dark side, we elected to have a more lighthearted time in the Magical Menagerie:

P1070692_zpsxrrnwd1x.jpg

They had nearly every creature from Harry Potter in there, from Harry’s favorite, Hedwig:

P1070694_zpsxeyaj7bd.jpg

To Cornish Pixies:

P1070698_zpsfw3uahij.jpg

Not to mention unicorns, hippogriffs, and snakes:

P1070699_zpsfisrltgr.jpg

Another familiar face also liked to hang out there – hey there, Crookshanks!

P1070703_zpsbjpqhdxi.jpg

Wow. The shops in Diagon Alley are AMAZING. Perhaps it’s because we tended to visit early or late in the day, but they didn’t seem nearly as crowded as the shops in Hogsmeade (perhaps because there are more of them?), but every single one of them is worth a visit. Weasley’s Wizard Wheezes and Borgin and Burkes are the standouts, but NONE of them fall into the “eh, you can skip it” category. There were even a few places we didn’t stop, including Wands by Gregorovitch (a smaller wand shop than Ollivanders) and the Hopping Pot (Diagon Alley’s version of Hog’s Head Pub).

If you are lucky enough to visit Diagon Alley (and ESPECIALLY if you’re a Potter fan!) you need to go into every shop! You'll practically keel over with amazement. :goodvibes

Overwhelmed with glee over the fabulousness that was Diagon Alley, it was time to experience the headliner…

P1070704_zpsatkes7td.jpg

It was time to try our luck at escaping from Gringotts!

Up Next: Seeing Gringotts and More Diagon Alley (including ice cream!)

Last edited:
Guys, when people exclaim that Diagon Alley was well done, THIS IS AN UNDERSTATEMENT.
::yes::

Weasley Wizard Wheezes! I tell you, the outside of shop was straight out of the movie!

I really thought that was a neat store.

OH MY GOODNESS. Knockturn Alley was INCREDIBLE! I’m not sure that small children would be fans as it’s SUPER dark in there, but the atmosphere is PERFECT (plus they pump in the air conditioning so it was an awesome respite from the heat!).
I can't believe how dark they got that area.

Perhaps it’s because we tended to visit early or late in the day, but they didn’t seem nearly as crowded as the shops in Hogsmeade (perhaps because there are more of them?)
I think just having so many more places to disperse the crowd really helps Diagon Alley.

Whew, finally caught up around here!! I loved reading your Disney Fan's perspective on all things IOA and HP ...It really makes me want to go take a trip there on our upcoming Disney trip and try and find a way to squeeze it in...not sure it will happen, but it's nice to dream. I love your pics of all the shops, definitely want to see all that. And the BUTTERBEER. Sigh. The rides in HP look really fun too, but for me it's more about the theming of the shops.

Awesome update. I was there in February and didn't see nearly what you did. I guess we hit the main things and moved on. I love the attention to detail. I've said many times before that I'm not really a fan of Universal but I have to give it to them on Harry Potter. They nailed it! It's definitely a must see.

With a bit of searching, we figured out how to reach the Diagon Alley entrance:

I'm waiting for the Onion News Headline: "20-year-long Potter fan has mind blown as he realizes that Diagon Alley is a play on the word 'diagonally'"

It even had a Delores Umbridge wheeling back and forth on a unicycle (another movie reference!):

She's my most-hated character. Even more so than you-know-who.

Oooo, how about Ron's hand-me-down dress robes?

We also looked in the Money Exchange, where you can exchange real dollars for wizard money:

What a great idea! Why didn't I think of that? Coming soon: exchange your money for Glennbo greenbacks!

If you are lucky enough to visit Diagon Alley (and ESPECIALLY if you’re a Potter fan!) you need to go into every shop! You'll practically keel over with amazement. :goodvibes

So, you liked it then? :)

We were at Universal the WEEK before Diagon Alley opened in 2014. To say I'm bummed that I've never seen it in person is an understatement! Love your descriptions of everything!

With a bit of searching, we figured out how to reach the Diagon Alley entrance

Is it hard to find?

And, HELLO DRAGON AT THE END OF DIAGON ALLEY!

(Nope. Not excited at all…)

Really? Doesn't show.

Guys, when people exclaim that Diagon Alley was well done, THIS IS AN UNDERSTATEMENT.

Okay! Okay! I believe you! :laughing:

Anika and I were completely blown away by Hogsmeade three years before, and Hogsmeade does not even COMPARE to Diagon Alley!

Whoa. That's saying a lot.

Hey look, a Firebolt!

Did you buy one? Or were they prohibitively expensive?

That place looks great! I could spend hours.

It even had a Delores Umbridge wheeling back and forth on a unicycle

:laughing: I like that!

She bought that, yes?

I was squealing with delight every time I turned around. SO FUN!!!

Wish I coulda been there to see what you look like when you squeal with delight.

Our next shop is another that’s very familiar to those who have read the books. If we’re in the Wizarding World, we better visit Madam Malkin’s Robes for All Occasions:

Cool!

They also had some cute clutches and coin purses (which you can see in the picture above) and I'm kicking myself for not purchasing one!

Reasons to go back...

Cool. But I can't see myself wearing them outside of Uni.

Plus... I hate wearing itchy sweaters.

Next we ducked into the Eeylops Owl Emporium:

Bought an owl?

We enjoyed walking through Wiseacres Wizarding Equipment:

Another place I'd get lost in, I think.

Wiseacres has a celestial magical theme and sells fun things like glassware and crystal balls, while Scribbulus is the best place to pick up a quill or other fun notes and paper supplies.

Yep. I think I'd be in there for a while...

But can you exchange them back?

We didn’t stop to chat with the goblin, but he was happy to talk to the others in the shop!

He actually talked with people???

Our next stop was the infamous Knockturn Alley:

Don't go!!!!

OH MY GOODNESS. Knockturn Alley was INCREDIBLE! I’m not sure that small children would be fans as it’s SUPER dark in there, but the atmosphere is PERFECT

It looks amazing! That alone has got me wanting to go.

In addition to tons of merchandise to appeal to the Slytherin crowd, there are also some great items from the books!

Such as?

I was never able to get a picture of the vanishing cabinet (next time!), but did capture the cursed necklace:

Cool!

It’s a super cool store – perhaps my favorite of the bunch!

Wow! That's saying a lot!

The rest of Knockturn Alley was equally creepy, and the additional windows include shawdows and occasional crawling bugs (not to mention the occasional strange noise in the background):

Oh, man. That sounds just.... perfect!

Okay. Come on. She had to buy that, right???

NONE of them fall into the “eh, you can skip it” category.

Impressive.

Thanks for showing us all of that! :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter