Aren't Graduations Grand! - May 2015 TR (New 10/30 - MK and California Grill)

Love the walk through the shops. Cool that they are so detailed and immersive.

Bound for the Dark Side

Hello, DIS friends!

I wanted to pop in and say hello :wave2: and I hope you're all well! G and I are heading to Universal Studios this evening - it will be very strange to go to Orlando and NOT go to Disney World! (It will be the first time I've visited baggage claim at the Orlando airport since 2006!) :eek:

Now that they've made nearly everything a Universal Express attraction (at least, according to what I've read - here's hoping it was correct!) US and IOA should be a breeze. I'm super excited to revisit Hogsmeade and Diagon Alley, drink more butter beer, and enjoy several more rides on the Mummy. I'm also super excited to stay at a new resort - we'll be checking out the Portofino. I hope I've learned enough to make Volcano Bay an easy experience - we'll see! It should be super fun! :hyper:

The other good news is due to a recent job change, I should have more DIS time to share with all of you. :banana: I'm looking forward to binge reading a whole slew of reports upon my return early next week!

I'll see you when we return from the Dark Side. :goodvibes

Last edited:
Bound for the Dark Side

Hello, DIS friends!

I wanted to pop in and say hello :wave2: and I hope you're all well! Grant and I are heading to Universal Studios this evening - it will be very strange to go to Orlando and NOT go to Disney World! (It will be the first time I've visited baggage claim at the Orlando airport since 2006!) :eek:

Now that they've made nearly everything a Universal Express attraction (at least, according to what I've read - here's hoping it was correct!) US and IOA should be a breeze. I'm super excited to revisit Hogsmeade and Diagon Alley, drink more butter beer, and enjoy several more rides on the Mummy. I'm also super excited to stay at a new resort - we'll be checking out the Portofino. I hope I've learned enough to make Volcano Bay an easy experience - we'll see! It should be super fun! :hyper:

The other good news is due to a recent job change, I should have more DIS time to share with all of you. :banana: I'm looking forward to binge reading a whole slew of reports upon my return early next week!

I'll see you when we return from the Dark Side. :goodvibes

Hi Jenny!
I hope you have a great time at the Dark Side. I was just there over labor day weekend. It was a ton of fun!
We loved having express pass for all the Harry Potter rides. Sadly the Dueling Dragon challenge ended just 2 days after we rode it. We had no idea!
Have fun and hope to see more of you on the DIS!

It's great to see you posting here again! Have a great time in Universal and I look forward to hopefully hearing about it when you get back!!!

I wanted to pop in and say hello :wave2:

I'm sorry. Who are you again?

:laughing: Nice to see you again, Jenny!

Grant and I are heading to Universal Studios this evening - it will be very strange to go to Orlando and NOT go to Disney World!

:faint:

(It will be the first time I've visited baggage claim at the Orlando airport since 2006!) :eek:

:laughing: You'll never find it!

drink more butter beer,

That stuff is amazing.

The other good news is due to a recent job change, I should have more DIS time to share with all of you. :banana:

Yay!! See you soon! I just started a new TR if you're interested, so not much reading involved. In my siggie if you want to pop over. :)

The DIS is Calling

Hello, DIS friends! :wave:

It's been a while (558 days to be exact!) since I last updated this report! :eek:

So much has changed since our trip almost FOUR years ago! Back then, I was a single working gal who traveled with her sister... now I'm married and have a nine-month old. Holy cow!

We're making very early plans to travel to Disney next spring with our family. I can't wait to go with my husband and introduce our daughter to one of my favorite places. It will be a very different but very magical trip!

pixiedust:

Whenever I start thinking about a Disney trip, I'm always pulled back to the DISboards. I love hearing about all of your plans, your trip adventures, and your wonderful tips and suggestions that have turned me into a Disney aficionado.

It may have been almost four years ago, but I still think back fondly of this spectacular graduation trip and feel bad that I never finished sharing our adventures. Therefore, we're going to give this trip report another go! Let's see how far I get before I take another year-long break! :laughing:

So, let's step back in time! It was a time when Pandora was still in-progress, One Man's Dream still existed, and you still bought your Carrot Cake Cookies at the Writer's Stop. There was no Toy Story Land, no determined plans for a Star Wars Land, and the Be Our Guest dinner was still a la carte. Hopefully it will be a fun look back for everyone!

I'm not sure how many of my original readers are still on the DIS after all this time... I believe chunkymonkey, pkondz, and Glennbo still have trip reports going, and I believe I've seen heathsf and Tracy161 comment somewhat recently! Anyone else that's out there, whether an old friend or a new one, I look forward to sharing more about our adventures with you!

:welcome: and herrrreee weeeee gooooo!

I really thought that was a neat store.

Andy! I don't believe you're on the DIS any more... but I hope you're well!

Yes, it was truly spectacular. So bright and colorful and fun!

I can't believe how dark they got that area.

I was rather stunned how dark it was. How do they not have injuries from people bumping into things?! :crutches:

I think just having so many more places to disperse the crowd really helps Diagon Alley.

I agree. So many additional stores and corners and areas really makes a difference!

Whew, finally caught up around here!! I loved reading your Disney Fan's perspective on all things IOA and HP ...It really makes me want to go take a trip there on our upcoming Disney trip and try and find a way to squeeze it in...not sure it will happen, but it's nice to dream. I love your pics of all the shops, definitely want to see all that. And the BUTTERBEER. Sigh. The rides in HP look really fun too, but for me it's more about the theming of the shops.

I'm not sure if you're still here, Kathy, but you've had lots of time to read my last update! :laughing:

I'm still strongly a Disney gal, but I've been more and more impressed with each visit to Universal. They really hit it out the park with both Wizarding World lands and their other updates have been well-done, too.

When you go (notice I said when, not if!) you MUST try a Butterbeer! It's wonderful!

Awesome update. I was there in February and didn't see nearly what you did. I guess we hit the main things and moved on. I love the attention to detail. I've said many times before that I'm not really a fan of Universal but I have to give it to them on Harry Potter. They nailed it! It's definitely a must see.

Thank you! I think it's quite easy to get overwhelmed by the sheer number of things to see. I've certainly seen things in other's trip reports that I didn't notice myself!

I absolutely agree with you that they hit it out of the park with the Wizarding World. It's excellent!

I'm waiting for the Onion News Headline: "20-year-long Potter fan has mind blown as he realizes that Diagon Alley is a play on the word 'diagonally'"

:rotfl:

She's my most-hated character. Even more so than you-know-who.

I think she may be mine, too. I know Voldemort is evil, but how was Delores Umbridge even still employed after her fiasco as the DADA teacher? What a terrible, horrible woman.

Oooo, how about Ron's hand-me-down dress robes?

:laughing:

I didn't see them, but that would be a wonderful addition!

What a great idea! Why didn't I think of that? Coming soon: exchange your money for Glennbo greenbacks!

:rotfl2:

So, you liked it then? :)

Um, yes. Perhaps a little bit.

:jumping1:

:rotfl: Sounds like an amazing time!!! :goodvibes

It absolutely was! I'm so glad we included Universal in our trip!

We were at Universal the WEEK before Diagon Alley opened in 2014. To say I'm bummed that I've never seen it in person is an understatement! Love your descriptions of everything!

Thank you! Also, a WEEK?! I would've been so sad to have missed it! You'll have to go back!

Is it hard to find?

Perhaps we were tired as it was the end of the day, but we got a bit turned around the first time we found Diagon Alley. We had no trouble the subsequent times!

Whoa. That's saying a lot.

We loved Hogsmeade (and still do!), but Diagon Alley was just so grand that the amazingness just hit you right in the face. It was immediately impressive instead of just, "well, this is nice!"

Did you buy one? Or were they prohibitively expensive?

We did not buy a Firebolt - I didn't even look at the price!

That place looks great! I could spend hours.

So could we! We had the same thought about spending loads of time in many stores!

She bought that, yes?

She didn't, but she thought it was fun!

Reasons to go back...

:thumbsup2

But can you exchange them back?

You can exchange them for Wizarding World merchandise... so, sort-of! ;)

He actually talked with people???

He does! He's similar to the Potato Head animatronic at Toy Story Midway Mania - he'll chat with the guests that come into the Exchange.

It looks amazing! That alone has got me wanting to go.

:goodvibes

It was SO well done!

The vanishing cabinet, the cursed necklace, and that hand doohickey that Harry was caught in in the second film. I think there were more things as well that I didn't see!

Oh, man. That sounds just.... perfect!

It was!

Great trip report!

Thank you! I'm sorry it's been so long between updates!

Love the walk through the shops. Cool that they are so detailed and immersive.

Thank you! They were wonderful and I really loved seeing everything in them.

Love your trip report. Thanks

Thank you!

Hey Jenny! I'm still here! LOL. Glad to see you back!
Congrats on your baby girl! Wow 9 months already! That's so exciting you're taking her to WDW next year!
We're headed back to WDW in 2.5 weeks for the Epic trip! Can't wait!

Hi Jenny!
I hope you have a great time at the Dark Side. I was just there over labor day weekend. It was a ton of fun!
We loved having express pass for all the Harry Potter rides. Sadly the Dueling Dragon challenge ended just 2 days after we rode it. We had no idea!
Have fun and hope to see more of you on the DIS!

It's great to see you posting here again! Have a great time in Universal and I look forward to hopefully hearing about it when you get back!!!

I'm sorry. Who are you again?

:laughing: Nice to see you again, Jenny!

Hope you had a great trip! I love to visit the Dark Side every so often...

Hope you guys had a fantastic trip!

Thank you all for the good wishes! We had an excellent trip to Universal, minus Grant getting an illness and missing out on a park day. If I actually become a better poster I'll write a brief post or two on that trip.

The short version: the Wizarding World is still awesome, Jimmy Fallon's new ride was amazing, and Volcano Bay was SPECTACULAR!!!

Hey Jenny! I'm still here! LOL. Glad to see you back!
Congrats on your baby girl! Wow 9 months already! That's so exciting you're taking her to WDW next year!
We're headed back to WDW in 2.5 weeks for the Epic trip! Can't wait!

Hi, Su-Lynn! I'm so excited that you're still around! :jumping3:

Thank you! It's amazing how life changes and how time flies. I'm SUPER excited to go back to Disney World - it will have been four years since my last trip! :eek: It will be a different trip with fewer thrill rides and fewer fancy restaurant ADRs, but it will be wonderful to see my daughter's reactions to Disney World. It will be so much fun to make plans!

I've read snippets of your most recent trip report, but I've got to get caught up! Have fun with your remaining plans for your upcoming trip and have SO MUCH FUN when you go!

Escaping from Gringotts
Day 3 – Part IV

It was finally time to escape from Gringotts!

We stashed our bags in the required locker and made our way into line. We weren’t sure how long we would be waiting (remember our LONG wait in the Forbidden Journey line the night before?), but were excited enough about the ride that we were happy to wait.

It was only ten minutes weaving through a bit of overflow queue outdoors before we made our way into the Gringotts lobby.

P1070779_zpsz91saobo.jpg

Just like everything else in Diagon Alley, it was incredibly well done!

It was fun to watch the goblins “work” as we walked past them.

P1070717_zpsnbtlnqjk.jpg

P1070722_zpslpmoshhm.jpg

P1070723_zps6d3wfmot.jpg

After walking through the lobby, we walked past a few examples of vaults:

P1070729_zpst59envzb.jpg

Again, the detail on the vault doors… amazing!

Next, you walk through a hallway where they take your picture, and then you walk past the office doors of several Gringotts employees.

We enjoyed seeing the Daily Prophets that were scattered in sections of the hallway:

P1070730_zpstjp25cas.jpg

Next, we were directed and closed into a room where we met up with Bill Weasley and a Gringotts goblin:

P1070817_zpspztafhsc.jpg

They were projected somehow into the office décor that was in front of us and around the room. It was difficult to photograph well but was quite neat in-person!

After receiving our Gringotts tour introduction from Bill, we were directed to an elevator. It’s hard to see in the picture, but it was neat to see the elevator hands move as the elevators arrived!

P1070739_zpsu7z7cuwn.jpg

We stepped into our elevator:

IMG_1329_zpsh0s7unh3.jpg

I’m sure it’s discussed elsewhere, but it was tough to figure out if we were actually moving or if the floor just jiggled and rocked for our elevator journey. (Honestly, I’m pretty sure we didn’t switch floors and simply walked through the elevator to the other side of the wall, but it was a pretty neat effect, nonetheless!)

We picked up our 3-D glasses and started climbing stairs to board our ride vehicle. The Gringotts vehicles are somewhat similar to the Dinosaur cars – multiple rows of several riders. Soon we were on our way!

Similar to Forbidden Journey, it’s pretty difficult to take pictures on the ride as Escape from Gringotts is quite thrilling!

As noted, the premise is that you’re taking a tour of Gringotts… a tour that is interrupted by a visit from Voldemort and Bellatrix LeStrange. Yikes! You also cross paths with a Gringotts guard, a dragon… and everyone’s favorite trio who are escaping from Gringotts themselves with a horcrux!

When you get into the ride vehicle, you suspect that you’ll mostly be moving along a track with perhaps a few dramatic sways or bumps along the way. Imagine our surprise (and absolute delight!) when in sections of the ride you start to lean downward and suddenly zoom down a hill like a roller coaster, are spun around, or lean downward again and feel like the car is falling. We shrieked with joy during all of these surprises. We had VERY high expectations and we were absolutely blown away!

Anika and I both LOVED Escape from Gringotts! :woohoo:

It’s a really tough call whether Forbidden Journey or Escape from Gringotts is the better ride. I think Gringotts may eek out the win as the ride itself is so thrilling and well-done, but I still adore Forbidden Journey. They are different thrill rides and both are wonderful experiences!

On a Gringotts high, we were excited to grab a late-night snack. Anika especially loves ice cream, so we were excited to visit Florean Fortescue’s:

P1070745_zpsbruh9zef.jpg

P1070746_zps5p4r4t5w.jpg

We both selected hard-packed ice cream. Anika chose the Apple Crumble in a cone:

P1070748_zpstkuwo7op.jpg

While I chose both Clotted Cream and Earl Gray and Lavender in a cup:

P1070749_zps7fdnryyr.jpg

Anika thought her ice cream was excellent and I thought the same. I enjoyed the Clotted Cream slightly more, but I wouldn’t hesitate to order either flavor again.

We climbed up the stairs by Sirius’s motorbike and enjoyed our view of Diagon Alley while enjoying our ice cream:

P1070750_zpskkcuyeei.jpg

We enjoyed relaxing with our snacks – one nice thing about our long vacation is I was much less anxious to pack it all in. It was nice to feel like you had plenty of time to relax among the excitement!

With our ice cream devoured, we enjoyed taking in the sights of Diagon Alley. It is beautiful at night!

P1070758_zpsykgodoek.jpg

P1070757_zpspsmi54fi.jpg

P1070770_zpsbnttqhiz.jpg

P1070772_zpszlzmmhjk.jpg

I noticed a few things I didn’t notice earlier, including the (not entirely loveable) buffoon Gilderoy Lockhart:

P1070759_zpsnzqofkl4.jpg

Yes, he absolutely moved around like you would in any good wizard photograph! :goodvibes

And the door to the Daily Prophet office:

P1070763_zps3gb5cbho.jpg

Ah, the details. :love:

You can’t stand in Diagon Alley at night without watching the dragon shoot fire:

P1070774_zps4kepkqis.jpg

P1070775_zpsaphibuwf.jpg

This happens throughout the day, but it is SPECTACULAR at night!

With park closing coming shortly, we made the easy decision to ride once more on Gringotts before heading back to the resort. It was just as fabulous the second time!

The crowds had really dissipated and we made it through the whole ride in fifteen minutes. Certainly better than the forty minute experience earlier (but that was worth it, too!).

We were ushered out of Diagon Alley after our ride as it was park closing time. The shops were closed to new visitors and the Wizarding World employees were lined up and waving to send us back through the wall to the Muggle world. Goodbye until tomorrow, Diagon Alley!

We were surprised to catch most of the nighttime lagoon show:

P1070780_zpss4cekkjm.jpg

We didn’t stake out a spot far in advance like we do for Disney World nighttime shows, but our view was just fine and it was fun to see the movie clips!

After watching the remainder of the show, we made our way out of the park for the night. We weren’t nearly as put off by the walk around the resort since we knew to expect it, and slept hard after our fun-packed day. Our first full park day of our vacation was a great success!

Up Next: Back to Diagon Alley

Last edited:
Holy cow, the pictures in this update are HUGE! I'll try to fix them later... but enjoy the post regardless!

Edit: All fixed!

Last edited:
Hi Jenny! I’m so glad you’re back and are still working to finish this trip up. Congratulations on your daughter, I’m sure her first Disney trip will be amazing. I also graduated in 2015, and took a spectacular trip to celebrate. As I am now one month away from my college graduation celebration, I too look forward to reliving the memories of this time!

It's been a while (558 days to be exact!) since I last updated this report! :eek:

Oh? Seems like only 543 or so.

now I'm married and have a nine-month old. Holy cow!

:faint: Holy smokes! And... congratulations on... everything!!!

I can't wait to go with my husband and introduce our daughter to one of my favorite places. It will be a very different but very magical trip!

Let's see how far I get before I take another year-long break! :laughing:

:laughing:

I'm not sure how many of my original readers are still on the DIS after all this time...

:wave:

I believe chunkymonkey, pkondz, and Glennbo still have trip reports going

::yes:: Come on over!

We loved Hogsmeade (and still do!), but Diagon Alley was just so grand that the amazingness just hit you right in the face. It was immediately impressive instead of just, "well, this is nice!"

and I'm finally going to see it... in about 3 weeks!

You can exchange them for Wizarding World merchandise... so, sort-of! ;)

sort of... ;)

He does! He's similar to the Potato Head animatronic at Toy Story Midway Mania - he'll chat with the guests that come into the Exchange.

Cool!

(remember our LONG wait in the Forbidden Journey line the night before?),

Erm… no. Sorry! It almost feels like it was 558 days ago instead of just the night before.

:rolleyes1

The themeing is incredible!

It was fun to watch the goblins “work” as we walked past them.

You have "work" in quotations. Were they actually goofing off? Watching YouTube videos maybe?

P1070729_zpst59envzb.jpg

Again, the detail on the vault doors… amazing!

::yes::

I’m sure it’s discussed elsewhere, but it was tough to figure out if we were actually moving or if the floor just jiggled and rocked for our elevator journey. (Honestly, I’m pretty sure we didn’t switch floors and simply walked through the elevator to the other side of the wall, but it was a pretty neat effect, nonetheless!)

I'll have to think about that when we go!

Similar to Forbidden Journey, it’s pretty difficult to take pictures on the ride as Escape from Gringotts is quite thrilling!

Yay!

and everyone’s favorite trio who are escaping from Gringotts themselves with a horcrux!

Mickey, Donald and Goofy?

Anika and I both LOVED Escape from Gringotts! :woohoo:

It’s a really tough call whether Forbidden Journey or Escape from Gringotts is the better ride. I think Gringotts may eek out the win as the ride itself is so thrilling and well-done, but I still adore Forbidden Journey. They are different thrill rides and both are wonderful experiences!

I can't wait! Thanks for the pre-view!

Anika chose the Apple Crumble in a cone:

Oh, dang that sounds good!

Pretty!

Wow! Great shot!

I'm still here! So happy to see you back. What exciting new things that have happened in your life - congrats on your baby! :goodvibes

Welcome back! Congrats on your little one!
And thanks for the great update/pictures! Love hearing about HP!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter