Arguments For and Against Disneyland Reopening Now

This is an interesting article and I'd love to see follow-up verification of this. My kids (high schoolers) go back to in-person learning in a week. We had the option to have them go back or switch to an independent study program and we opted for going back. As a former high school teacher (20 years) and spouse to a current high school teacher, I can attest to the fact that schools are germ spreaders. What the variables are with COVID-19, as a new and relatively unknown virus strain, have raised legitimate fears about the safety of in-school learning during a pandemic. I don't know what the rate of infection might be, I don't know how easily it would be spread, I don't know if we're doing the right thing in letting the twins continue their senior year of high school on campus. I think it's easier to feel it's ok as we ease back into "regular" life and see how it has worked for those who are already there. I appreciate all of the precautions that were taken. At some point we have to venture back into things, and having some data that points to the idea that schools (with precautions in place, I assume) are relatively safe makes me feel better.

ETA: I just realized I didn't mention anything about reopening Disneyland, so I'll just add here that I think if schools can safely reopen, I don't see why Disneyland can't.

This is an interesting article and I'd love to see follow-up verification of this. My kids (high schoolers) go back to in-person learning in a week. We had the option to have them go back or switch to an independent study program and we opted for going back. As a former high school teacher (20 years) and spouse to a current high school teacher, I can attest to the fact that schools are germ spreaders. What the variables are with COVID-19, as a new and relatively unknown virus strain, have raised legitimate fears about the safety of in-school learning during a pandemic. I don't know what the rate of infection might be, I don't know how easily it would be spread, I don't know if we're doing the right thing in letting the twins continue their senior year of high school on campus. I think it's easier to feel it's ok as we ease back into "regular" life and see how it has worked for those who are already there. I appreciate all of the precautions that were taken. At some point we have to venture back into things, and having some data that points to the idea that schools (with precautions in place, I assume) are relatively safe makes me feel better.

ETA: I just realized I didn't mention anything about reopening Disneyland, so I'll just add here that I think if schools can safely reopen, I don't see why Disneyland can't.
I agree. My husband is a teacher here in Washington state. Things are going well. The kids are sooooooo awesome with all of the different things they need to do. AND, the kids get to be around friends and make new friends. (to quote High School Musical "We're all in this together.) We are on a group schedule meaning part of the school goes certain days and the others goes the alternate days. It didn't take much to get used to it. I do find myself looking at the schedule calendar alot though. :) Yeah. I think Disneyland can reopen safely. They seem to have more together in the safety department than some stores I've been in. I would feel completely safe going there and following the rules.

I think schools have been a really good case study in "masks work." Our kids have been hybrid since August and now gradually adding elementary grades full-time, and in a district of 40k kids haven't had any outbreaks.

I think schools have been a really good case study in "masks work." Our kids have been hybrid since August and now gradually adding elementary grades full-time, and in a district of 40k kids haven't had any outbreaks.
Smaller district (10k)but total of 15 cases in school district ( adult and student combined, not traced from school or school activities) since August 20, full regular school plus all extra curricular activities & transportation, eating in cafeterias.
We are working harder when it matters the most.....So far with results.

I don’t know if I have a strong feeling one way or the other. There are some points that I do want to make:
  1. There is nothing wrong with believing that the parks should not open. Folks who state: “people who don’t want to go shouldn’t go, but let us!” are missing the point of keeping activities closed. The behavior of everyone affects everyone else during a pandemic. Our hospitals can still get overrun. And if they do, it affects a lot more than people who get COVID.

Right. People in my home state use this argument quite a bit for why everybody should have the option to choose whether or not to wear a mask in public: “You do what makes you comfortable and I’ll do what makes me comfortable.” That logic works for many health choices, but not in a pandemic, where what makes ME comfortable could make YOU sick.

Is it the case that the more things are open, the more opportunity there is for viral spread? Or do people just end up crowding the things that ARE open? Maybe it is better to have more things open and spread out the crowds, if you don’t have a highly authoritarian society in which people can be forced to stay home for months at a time? (I know we had lockdowns too, but there was never the amount of compliance or enforcement China achieved).

Unfortunately we will not know the answers to these questions until much much later. I guess California wants to take a very conservative approach to reopening recreational sectors and only time will tell if that does more harm than good.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter