Arrival day dinner with tweens (non park)

fivikse

Mouseketeer
We are planning a summer trip, most likely staying in a cabin at Ft Wilderness. Family of four, two kids age 12. Flight will arrive around 1:00. Will have a car.

I’m having a hard time figuring out an arrival day dinner. The kids want something fun, but don’t need characters. We have done and enjoyed both WCC and HDDR, and they are possibilities, but the kids don’t love the food at either. They enjoy Rainforest Cafe, but we haven’t done the one at DS (never been to Disney Springs at all), so that is a possibility. We aren’t shoppers though.

Any other suggestions? Fun for tweens, not in a park, characters not important.
Bonus points if close to Fort so we can be back for s’mores, but that isn’t too important.

Have you considered taking them to Sanaa? Good food, and watching the animals right outside of the windows as you eat is fascinating for tweens and adults. Since you have a car, you wouldn’t need to worry about the awkward resort-to-resort transportation.

If you do decide to go to Disney Springs, there's Splitsville, where they can eat and go bowling and also Ragland Road, which has the Irish dancers on stage if they are into that sort of thing.

Have you considered taking them to Sanaa? Good food, and watching the animals right outside of the windows as you eat is fascinating for tweens and adults. Since you have a car, you wouldn’t need to worry about the awkward resort-to-resort transportation.

Pretty much word for word what I was going to suggest. The only problem is that window seats or not guaranteed. You could also go to Boma and then explore the lodge a bit after (there are tons of areas to watch the animals from in Jambo). Kidani and Jambo also both have fire pits to hang around.

We are planning a summer trip, most likely staying in a cabin at Ft Wilderness. Family of four, two kids age 12. Flight will arrive around 1:00. Will have a car.

I’m having a hard time figuring out an arrival day dinner. The kids want something fun, but don’t need characters. We have done and enjoyed both WCC and HDDR, and they are possibilities, but the kids don’t love the food at either. They enjoy Rainforest Cafe, but we haven’t done the one at DS (never been to Disney Springs at all), so that is a possibility. We aren’t shoppers though.

Any other suggestions? Fun for tweens, not in a park, characters not important.
Bonus points if close to Fort so we can be back for s’mores, but that isn’t too important.

This isn't Disney, but we're going to Medieval times for dinner one night. Might be an idea.

I hadn’t thought of the AKL restaurants! Thanks for the idea. Another thread reminded me of Ohana. I’ll look at menus and see what they’ll eat.
Thanks

I hadn’t thought of the AKL restaurants! Thanks for the idea. Another thread reminded me of Ohana. I’ll look at menus and see what they’ll eat.
Thanks

I know I already threw in my $.02 on the AKL restaurants (which I still suggest), but if those menus don't tickle your fancy, what about the restaurants in the Boardwalk area (Cape May, Beaches and Cream, BRG... FF, YS, Shula's or bluezoo if you are looking for a nicer $$$ meal) followed by a walk around? There are a couple of entertainers that perform, there is the Boardwalk Bakery or funnel cake for dessert, you can see some of the higher flying IllumiNations fireworks from some areas, or even just sitting and watching the boats go by is nice and relaxing.

I know I already threw in my $.02 on the AKL restaurants (which I still suggest), but if those menus don't tickle your fancy, what about the restaurants in the Boardwalk area (Cape May, Beaches and Cream, BRG... FF, YS, Shula's or bluezoo if you are looking for a nicer $$$ meal) followed by a walk around? There are a couple of entertainers that perform, there is the Boardwalk Bakery or funnel cake for dessert, you can see some of the higher flying IllumiNations fireworks from some areas, or even just sitting and watching the boats go by is nice and relaxing.

Thanks for this suggestion also. We are now considering staying at the Swan so this might be best. I am not familiar with this area at all! I’ll go research Boardwalk restaurants!

Our traveling tween enjoyed eating at Flying Fish for our non park arrival meal so much so that she suggested it for another night. She really enjoyed the surrounding area as well and we had to drag her into the restaurant when our ressie was called from watching the juggler on the broadwalk.

Any of the more casual restaurants in Disney Springs .. I wouldn't suggest Rainforest or T-Rex .. they are just noisy and expensive for mediocre food.

I personally have tried DLuxe burger and found it great --- not really a "sit down" restaurant .. but still unique. Then you can wander around Disney Springs, shop, grab dessert, etc. I find going to Disney Springs on arrival day pretty fun. A lot to do and see there.

I know its a unpopular place for adults, as the food is mediocre, but T-Rex is an option if they like Rainforest Cafe type restaurants.

We have been to other rainforest cafes, so know basically what to expect. They enjoy the animals/theme. We have found the food edible if we stick to basic burgers and such.

Dinosaurs aren’t their thing, but that is a good suggestion.

They want something “fun”. They enjoyed the antics at Whispering Canyon, but we don’t love the menu.

So I’m just looking for restaurants that have a “fun” component like antics at WCC or animals at RFC.
The AKL and BW suggestions are great. T-Rex is the right idea, just not what they are into!

Thanks!

I would def hit Disney Springs- you don't have to be a shopper, lots to see just walking around and watching. You could eat at T-Rex, Splitsville, Planet Hollywood-all fun places, not necessarily known for their food but fun. There are a lot of quick service restaurants if you don't want to make a reservation too. Some that I think are pretty good. If you want a nicer meal there are a lot of nicer places to choose from as well but you will need a reservation. The Edison just opened and has pretty cool theming, your kids may be into that. Most evenings there is a live band on one of the stages and some restaurants have their own entertainment.

I also second Boma or Sanna- great food and you can explore AKL, so so cool for everyone of all ages.

Lots of options. Boma is a great choice with the buffet and lots of food choices.
Splitsville is good.
haven't been to T-Rex, but if htey like Rainforest, similar concept.
The new restaurants at the Edison look interesting, not sure if they would appeal to your kids though. Ours would have loved them at that age.
Beaches and Cream if you can get an ADR.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter