Arrival Day....Non-park activities for the afternoon/evening

Todd Baker

Earning My Ears
We'll likely arrive late in the afternoon on a Sunday and I was planning to start our days in the parks on Monday. So I'm looking for suggestions for activities to occupy ourselves on arrival afternoon and evening that DON'T involve MK, AK, or Epcot. Traveling by car with three kids 5 years old or younger and we just figure they'll be over-excited and over-tired at the same time. We're staying at AK Kidani for a frame of reference.
- Resort pool time
- Disney Springs
- Boardwalk?
- Some place to view fireworks
Any other suggestions?

I would definitely enjoy the resort. Pool time, animal viewing, any activythe resort might have scheduled, it’s the perfect way to start your family vacation.
A resort stay IS fun for arrival day. Frequently there a Disney movie at night in a common area of the resort. All the places I've stayed at have them outdoors so check your resort's schedule to find out where they hold them. Also there's the nightly campfire.....might want to pay for the kit and bring a bag of marshmallows from home;they charge "Disney prices". Yes, the resort pool is always fun and a great way for LOs to use pent up energy.
Relax, you've made it to your destination and will be there for a few days. Feel like you need to explore? Depending on your hotel''s location and ease of transport (I don't know how far Kidani is from other destinations transport-wise but it seems far) visit Boardwalk or DS although personally I might save that for another day/night.

Have fun whatever you choose to do.

DW and I are expecting our first, but we have traveled with our niece and nephew before so some experience with kids. We, whether it's just the two of us or the family with kids in tow, almost always make our arrival day a non-park day unless we can be in the park before noon, and even then we sometimes wait. I will say that we travel a lot around Christmas (DW and my sister are both teachers and we live in TX so vacation to us means somewhere not hot and humid, aka no summer trips), and we really enjoy going to some of the different resorts and seeing the chocolate and gingerbread sculptures at that time of year. We also will go to AKL and just look at the animals for a bit, we've walked around the boardwalk and just eaten a slice of pizza for a light lunch and looked around. Since the pools are heated we aren't shy about a dip though it can be a sprint back to the room if it's cold out. We have walked on the beach at the Poly, gone to look at the mural in CR, just taken a lap around the monorail to see everything and start to get into the vacation spirit, so to speak. And, at least for DW and I, our tradition is always Disney Springs on our first night. We enjoy Raglan Road for dinner and always, no matter what time of year, visit the Christmas store to buy an ornament souvenir for the trip so that they have time to personalize it and deliver it to the hotel for us. Our niece and nephew have enjoyed doing those things with us as well, but have also been happy to watch the Disney movies playing in the lobby/common area.

This past summer we arrived in the afternoon and after checking in and getting settled we headed over to Disney Springs and had dinner at Ragland Road. My kids loved it and my oldest even got to go up on stage and dance with the irish dancers. Then we went over to the big disney store, walked around and let the kids each pick out a disney stuffed animal and played at the lego store etc. We had ice-cream had Ghiradelli's and then headed back to the hotel reasonably early. It was a great, relaxing way to start off our trip.

pool, resort dinner (we like Boma) and look at the activities scheduled at the resort for that day. There is also the community room that has games etc. The animal look out has night vision goggles which are fun for kids

Mini golf at Winter Summerland is always fun, just drive your own car because it is a hassle to get there by bus anymore (it is next to Blizzard Beach). You can go to Disney Springs and look around, with 5 year olds, I would stick to the Marketplace and they'll still have plenty to see.

Last fall we arrived at POFQ in the morning. We took the boat to Disney Springs walked around and looked at shops and played at the lego store, we also at lunch at T-Rex....DS also got to play there because they have a dig area. We took the boat back to our room and swam in the pool for awhile and then took the boat back to Disney Springs where we checked out more stores, ate dinner at Polite Pig, DS rode the little train and we enjoyed some of the performers that night at Disney Springs. Since there is a boat that runs from POFQ to Disney Springs it made it convenient to go back and forth. We enjoyed our arrival day.

We always go eat dinner at Disney Springs. Homecomin is our favorite. We walk around and the boys love the LEGO stores. Then we go to Walmart and get some groceries/snacks for the week. If it’s warm that night we hit up the pool.

Until recently, we went to Epcot for dinner on our arrival day. We usually stayed at BC or YC and walked right over. However, we recently discovered how cool DS is. There are good restaurants, street performers and fun stores. We like to get to bed early, so we can get an early start.

I usually arrive earlier in the day and head to the parks after a rest at the resort, but I think on this trip, I will likely arrive later, so I am thinking about just having a nice dinner at the resort and exploring, possibly going to Disney Springs as well.

At AK, just enjoy the pool and have dinner at one of the great resort restaurants. AK is our home resort and this is our normal arrival day routine.

We are relaxing poolside checking out the resort area and have DS dinner res at 6. Then back for a quick swim fir the older kids and bed for the littles .

If you’re staying at Kidani I would just hang at the resort. There is so much to see and the pool area is way fun. Our 2 and 3 year old kids loved just walking from window to window in the hallway to see what was different from the last view. If you want an easy dinner, it’s a quick walk over to the Mara at Jambi House (our kiddos were not impressed with the Sanaa menu but I enjoyed it) and you could check out their animals and activities. It’s not exactly gourmet or different from what is at home but McDonalds is close and Publix is not too far. DH loves their fried chicken meal. Make it an early night and get a great start on Monday.

The pools are all great and each resort has enough going on to simply skip the parks entirely if desired!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter