Arrival Evening

sapphirerose915

DIS Veteran
My DH and I are getting to Disney in December after driving 2 days from NJ with our 2 yo DS... what is your favorite thing to do the day you get to Disney? Can be a TS or CS meal... or something totally different. Looking for unique ideas to be like "Hey....we are HERE!!!"

We take it slow. We usually unpack while watching that “Disney” channel, freshen up, head down to purchase our mugs, grab a drink and wander the resort. If there are kids activities going on, this is the day we are most inclined to sit back and let them enjoy them. We have dinner at the resort, and usually take an evening swim. Then early to bed. It works for us!

We have a tradition of doing Chef Mickeys on arrival day. Kids get to see the monorail and characters, gives us a dose of Disney without wasting a park ticket on a partial day. We also explore our resort, and s few times did the free campfire with chip and Dale at Fort Wilderness. Wanted to add that we also have a long drive down (from Maryland) so I feel your pain!

We have a tradition of doing Chef Mickeys on arrival day. Kids get to see the monorail and characters, gives us a dose of Disney without wasting a park ticket on a partial day. We also explore our resort, and s few times did the free campfire with chip and Dale at Fort Wilderness. Wanted to add that we also have a long drive down (from Maryland) so I feel your pain!

yes.. we are making it a 2 day drive and breaking it up a little bit!!!!

was the campfire fun?? worth navigating thru FW for???? on the restaurant forum I asked about a good TS rec besides the ones i already have ADR's for, because we are on the DDP and I had 1 TS left.. so a few people recommended Trails End.. So I am thinking maybe we go eat at Trails End and then do the campfire on our arrival day.. if we are tired we can always leave before the movie.. my DS loves music and dancing so I think it sounds like it would be great for him!

yes.. we are making it a 2 day drive and breaking it up a little bit!!!!

was the campfire fun?? worth navigating thru FW for???? on the restaurant forum I asked about a good TS rec besides the ones i already have ADR's for, because we are on the DDP and I had 1 TS left.. so a few people recommended Trails End.. So I am thinking maybe we go eat at Trails End and then do the campfire on our arrival day.. if we are tired we can always leave before the movie.. my DS loves music and dancing so I think it sounds like it would be great for him!
My kids love the campfire. Chip and Dale are great and it’s just a nice time. You can buy s’more kits or marshmallows, or bring your own. It’s easy to get to FW by boat from MK or the other monorail resorts, then once there, there’s an internal bus system. Trails End is good, and one of the cheaper Disney buffets. They prepare the food for HDDR, so it’s much of the same sort of food served there. The singalong is fun too. And there’s not much in WDW you can do for free!

We would always do Downtown Disney. We’ve been doing this since I was a high schooler and my parents first got dvc at okw and it’s become a tradition regardless of where we are staying. I know it’s bigger now as Disney Springs but our plan is to keep to the old marketplace area. We have dinner at earl of sandwich and browse the Disney shops

We would always do Downtown Disney. We’ve been doing this since I was a high schooler and my parents first got dvc at okw and it’s become a tradition regardless of where we are staying. I know it’s bigger now as Disney Springs but our plan is to keep to the old marketplace area. We have dinner at earl of sandwich and browse the Disney shops

we have 1 night planned for there and to eat at D'Luxe Burger and a Sunday afternoon with a brunch at Homecomin'
I loved the old Downtown Disney.. I havent been to Disney Springs yet.. but I am pretty sure we will just be doing the big Disney Store for the kiddo!!

My kids love the campfire. Chip and Dale are great and it’s just a nice time. You can buy s’more kits or marshmallows, or bring your own. It’s easy to get to FW by boat from MK or the other monorail resorts, then once there, there’s an internal bus system. Trails End is good, and one of the cheaper Disney buffets. They prepare the food for HDDR, so it’s much of the same sort of food served there. The singalong is fun too. And there’s not much in WDW you can do for free!

Thats great!! We have our car so we can just drive over hopefully lol!! I think we are going to plan on doing trails end and the campfire... sounds like a lot of fun without spending much and/or wasting a park ticket!!

Back in the day, we'd fly in super early, and my parents would take us to Sea World. That was back when they had no rides.

Then we just started going to Downtown Disney. I've continued that trend when we go. Get a little Disney flavor without actually being in the parks.

We always do the same thing (5 trips so far). We go to Ohana for dinner and walk around the Polynesian. This will get easier for trip #6 because the 2 girls who run my Universe have asked to stay there as well.

We always do the same thing (5 trips so far). We go to Ohana for dinner and walk around the Polynesian. This will get easier for trip #6 because the 2 girls who run my Universe have asked to stay there as well.

We are doing this the last night we are there!! i got a coveted ADR 2 hrs before fireworks.. so hoping after we eat to watch them on the beach!!!!

and NICE!!! I stayed there years ago with my family.. its amazing.. it wasnt in the budget for us this year with the lil guy tho!!!!

Back in the day, we'd fly in super early, and my parents would take us to Sea World. That was back when they had no rides.

Then we just started going to Downtown Disney. I've continued that trend when we go. Get a little Disney flavor without actually being in the parks.

yes!!! i love downtown disney!!! we have 1 day and 1 evening planned to go there!!!

We are doing this the last night we are there!! i got a coveted ADR 2 hrs before fireworks.. so hoping after we eat to watch them on the beach!!!!

and NICE!!! I stayed there years ago with my family.. its amazing.. it wasnt in the budget for us this year with the lil guy tho!!!!
Oh my angels are Ohana junkies. Our tradition is to eat our 1st dinner there and again on our last night. For our 2021 trip they have added the Spirit Of Aloha dinner there as well. Sigh

Oh my angels are Ohana junkies. Our tradition is to eat our 1st dinner there and again on our last night. For our 2021 trip they have added the Spirit Of Aloha dinner there as well. Sigh

I've never done that!! Looks awesome tho!! The Poly is a great hotel.. Kona Cfae and Tonga toast are staples!!!!
I really want to eventually stay in AKL tho.. I think my son would be amazed!! But I want to wait until he is old enough to actually remember!!!!

We usually just get settled in at the resort. Maybe take the chance to do a TS meal at another resort.

Where are you staying?

We usually just get settled in at the resort. Maybe take the chance to do a TS meal at another resort.

Where are you staying?
Staying at the POP... so not many options there.. unless they are playing a movie my son really likes!!

Thats great!! We have our car so we can just drive over hopefully lol!! I think we are going to plan on doing trails end and the campfire... sounds like a lot of fun without spending much and/or wasting a park ticket!!

The campfire is terrific! You can drive over, park in their lot, & catch the internal bus system for the Fort right there!

I've never done that!! Looks awesome tho!! The Poly is a great hotel.. Kona Cfae and Tonga toast are staples!!!!
I really want to eventually stay in AKL tho.. I think my son would be amazed!! But I want to wait until he is old enough to actually remember!!!!
We stayed at AKL on our most recent trip. I booked a standard room by requested a partial savanna view. They gave me room 4343 over a people pen. The cost became totally worth it when it rained and we got to watch a young giraffe play tag with its mother for over 15 minutes.

It depends on the time of day. We typically take our time and ease into the Disney experience.

I'm from NJ too, and I've been pondering taking the drive, but I've got a 5 yo, 3 yo and a newborn. Will probably have to decide sometime next year for our next trip.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter