Art Smith " Homecoming" at Disney Springs review, had dinner on 3/23

LovesTimone

Christmas Day 2017
Hi and Good Morning fellow Dis'er

Yesterday morning I decided to try and get dinner ADR's at " Homecoming" I was surprised that I scored a table for 3 at 7:45... Our good friend was coming over and spending the evening with us. We had talked about trying this spot out... and we were all excited about trying this place out, with all the chatter about how amazing it was... This was the first time that we would be dinning here...

We did arrive a bit early a few minutes before 7:00 I ask if we could check in which we could, they use your phone number to text you, which you get one text right away when you are checked in, it came while I was talking to the hostess, deciding on inside or outside.... and it was cooling off and we were in shorts we decided on inside... they then explained that we would receive the second text and then we were to head inside to be seated...

So we walked down to Raglan Road, and ordered some adult beverages from the portable outside bar... DH ordered a this Irish red beer I can't remember the name of it... It starts with a K... I decided on the Sauvignon Blanc, which is my go to wine when we are grabbing a drink here, it is a nice wine, not to dry and has some sweet notes, just what I wanted, our friend went with a apple ale in a can... he liked it, It smelled really appleeeeeee. We watched some of the entertainment out-side of Raglan Road for a bit, then headed back down to Homecoming...

The entertainment was out at homecoming, it was a 2 piece group a guy and a girl and they were quite good...

It was almost 8:00, when I went back to the hostess stand and asked about our table, she said we were up next... So about 20 minutes from our ADR's to be seated... not to bad... once inside and seated there were lots of table open, cleaned and ready to go, not sure what the issue was...

We were greeted right away by our server, he did the whole spiel about Chef Art Smith, made some suggestion, took our drink order... he did bring out water right away which was really nice, not to have to make it a point to order water, he did keep the water glasses full through out the meal, DH ordered a Coors light, and our friend went we a diet coke, and for me another class of Sauvignon Blanc, I thought it was a generous pour, I did enjoy drinking it, it was a bit more fruity and sweet than the wine at Raglan Road, both are good and I will order either again...

We started with two appetizer - first up the "Church Lady Deviled Eggs" ( 12.00 ) There are 6 halves, they are describe as southern style, which means they have mustard in them. The centers are very full and the mixture is light and fluffy, I think more along the lines of a nice mellow Dijon mustard that was in the mix, just enough tang without going over board... they are topped with some nice crunchy bacon... these are knife and fork deviled eggs, we all agreed that we would order them again... Next up a " Bunch of Puppies"(10.00) they arrived in a basket I think that there were about 10 or so in there, it is accompanied with pimento cheese, and red pepper jelly... They were a total miss for all of us... they were tough and sorta dry on the inside and absolutely no flavor, very bland... our friend said the pimento cheese did help some, DH nor I care for pimento cheese.... the red pepper jelly was very spicy, if you have kids that like hushpuppies I would request something else for dipping... these most differently needed some sweet to dip into... We all agreed we would not order these again...

Moving on to our entree's...

DH and I both decided on the " Art's Famous Fried Chicken" (28.00) - which come with a side we both decided on mashed potatoes, it is accompanied by a cheese biscuit.. DH gave it a 9 out of 10 - me a 8 out of 10 ( 10 being my granny's fried chicken which no-one will ever be able to match) ... the plate arrives with 3 pieces of chicken a airline breast, boneless thigh, and leg.... the side of mashed potatoes is large and come in a crock of sorts, biscuit and small container of white gravy, and some in house made bread and butter style pickles... It was so much food, you better go in almost starving in order just to make a dent in the whole meal... the mashed potatoes were on point so good... the chicken was hot and juicy and very delicious, I did not try the biscuit DH did and said it had a good flavor but was a bit dry for him... as well I really don't/can't have the gravy but DH said it had that homemade taste and was pretty good... the pickle were a miss for both of us... Over all we would both order this dish again... On a side note, this is alot of food, and easily shareable... DH said we could have shared on entree and a appetizer and it would still have been more than food than we could eat... we have a huge left over bag ..

Our Friend - order the " Grilled Pork Chop" (27.00) it is accompanied with a side as well as green beans... he choose the mac and cheese as his side... honestly when it came out it was a huge portion, and was in a crock it looked really good, His review of the meal - he said that the chop was cooked well and season perfectly, and was quite tender, and cooked a bit past medium... he said the real star was the mac and cheese, he said it took 3 bites to get to the macaroni, that's how cheesy it is, as far as the green beans he said were good not amazing, they were green beans nothing fancy... He said he would order the dish again... he too had a bag with left overs... 8 out of 10 was his score....

Another thing we noticed was they had seem to offer to go orders... they were packing up dishes as they came off the line, and putting them in large brown bags... I know sometimes guest are so tired that they would like to try somewhere, but by the end of the day are just to tired or have little ones that just can sit through a meal, so this would be a great, option..

Dessert - We skipped it - it was just so much food, we did see a tray full of dessert go by, and the portion size was crazy... they all looked amazing.... we may have to go for just dessert one night...

Really a nice evening with a great friend and a wonderful meal... Life is good...

Last edited:

I am not a fan of pimento cheese, but gave his a try. I loved it! I thought it was delicious. I agree, the portion size is huge. The food was a bit too heavy for us.

Good review I loved the part about your grandmother's getting the 10. That is my issue, I come from the deep south where fried chicken is its own food group. And the place comes up a little short with me when comparing it to some tiny out of the way chicken shacks in the South. I do love those deviled eggs thou,

Good review I loved the part about your grandmother's getting the 10. That is my issue, I come from the deep south where fried chicken is its own food group. And the place comes up a little short with me when comparing it to some tiny out of the way chicken shacks in the South. I do love those deviled eggs thou,

OP here,

You made me smile and shake my head yes... fried chicken in the south is almost a religion or a religious experience... Everyone's family has a recipe, and you only get the "recipe" when someone goes to heaven... I have my granny's recipe, as well as the cast iron pan she cooked it in... I have only attempted it twice... and I could hear my granny telling me what to do in my head, it was like she was right at my shoulder guiding me...my mom closed her eyes when she bit into it and said " Granny would have been proud" for me I thought it was close to her's... I guess that nothing will ever compare...and that's okay with me....

As far as chicken shacks in the south... there are some amazing ones... there is one right outside of Ocean Springs Mississippi which is right across the bridge from Biloxi, there is a chicken place kinda out in the woods off of I-10, I don't know the name of it, and honestly I don't think that I have ever really paid attention at the name of it...someone told us, where it was at...and said just follow the cars... When I say out in the woods it's off a 2 lane roadway, in the middle of no-where....there is a large gas station, a feed and tack store across the street, and you turn off the road on to a dirt road, and its a old farm or ranch... and they turned the house into a restaurant... they still grow crops on the land, along with some farm animals... it what they call now from farm to table... for me it's how I grew up... The chicken has that Maple Bourbon taste, as well all the side's are so good.. it's just phenomenal.

Last edited:
OP here,

You made me smile and shake my head yes... fried chicken in the south is almost a religion or a religious experience... Everyone's family has a recipe, and you only get the "recipe" when someone goes to heaven... I have my granny's recipe, as well as the cast iron pan she cooked it in... I have only attempted it twice... and I could hear my granny telling me what to do in my head, it was like she was right at my shoulder guiding me...my mom closed her eyes when she bit into it and said " Granny would have been proud" for me I thought it was close to her's... I guess that nothing will ever compare...and that's okay with me....

As far as chicken shacks in the south... there are some amazing ones... there is one right outside of Ocean Springs Mississippi which is right across the bridge from Biloxi, there is a chicken place kinda out in the woods off of I-10, I don't know the name of it, and honestly I don't think that I have ever really paid attention at the name of it...someone told us, where it was at...and said just follow the cars... When I say out in the woods it's off a 2 lane roadway, in the middle of no-where....there is a large gas station, a feed and tack store across the street, and you turn off the road on to a dirt road, and its a old farm or ranch... and they turned the house into a restaurant... they still grow crops on the land, along with some farm animals... it what they call now from farm to table... for me it's how I grew up... The chicken has that Maple Bourbon taste, as well as all the side's... it's just phenomenal.
Hey I have my mamaw's huge cast iron skillet to. She always said boys need to learn how to cook so they wont get married early or starve to death.

Thanks for sharing. Sounds like the comfort type of food we like. Hopefully we can try it in January on our trip!

Thanks for your great review! I will be visiting in September with a group of TEN! (Gulp) My family who lives in Florida will be joining me. It seemed like the prefect place for a family gathering. :love:

I ate at Homecomin' for the first time earlier this month. It was lunch time on a Monday and we were seated on the patio right away for a group of three. Our server David came by to take our drink orders while introducing himself and giving us a friendly "Welcome Home". He also asked if there were any food allergies among us. I had to explain that I was allergic to fish. David immediately brought over the manager on shift, Alan, to address the allergy concerns.

Alan explained that their frying process involves some cross contamination between fish and other foods and that it might not be ok for me to eat anything fried. I was disappointed by this since I was really excited to try the famous fried chicken. I told Alan and David in a polite way that I might unfortunately have to leave since my options would be somewhat limited. Alan had great empathy for my situation and explained some of the allergy-safe options I could try. To my surprise he also gave his personal recommendations for other restaurants in Disney Springs.

We decided as group to look over the menu to see if there was anything else that I would enjoy that would keep us from leaving. I "settled" on the Country Club which is a grilled chicken sandwich. Best decision ever. The sandwich was absolutely delicious. Overall, everyone in my group thoroughly enjoyed their meal. I give the highest praise to Homecomin' for the STELLAR service and AMAZING food. I cannot see anyone leaving there disappointed.

While I loved Art's Homecomin', my DS did not like it. He did not like the chicken and biscuits but he did like the mashed potatoes.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!