Article about DCL "reality" on Yahoo! "news"

That photo was from Miami port building. :) lol

Glad to hear it. I was doubting my own memory because it didn't look like any part of the terminal I recall at PC.

On our cruise in Dec 2008 on the Disney Magic, a dessert buffet was served on the deck for Pirate night and I believe that dining experience is what is in the picture.

Yes, that is what it is - you can tell by the pirate head which they only bring out for the pirate buffet. And it's a carefully selected portion of the dessert table. When we went, there was so much food, we bypassed most of the line (which included turkey legs, tacos, salads and breads as well as desserts) and went just for the crepe station.

some pictures are wrong and they obviously picked those that fit their narrative

I noted that they compared the DCL picture of someone sitting in a hot tub (I think it's the adult-only hot tub) to the family pool. If they'd taken a picture at the same location or even at the adult-only pool, it would have looked far different. If they'd compared an empty family pool to the reality - which is crowded - it would have been accurate although true for any cruiseline. I also noted that they didn't mention that there are three pools. The implication from the picture is that this is the only pool.

Comparing the bunkbeds to a complete stateroom was more deceptive in my mind than what they are claiming DCL (or any other cruiseline) shows. If you had shown the entire stateroom with the bunkbeds down, it would have been more useful. And the claim that DCL has "teeny" staterooms - compared to what? My bedroom at home? Or other cruiselines?

When you are going to do a comparative of what the "insert company" shows in their marketing compared to the reality, you actually should be comparing apples to apples, showing the same object or same scene from the same perspective. It might even have been better to have been written as cautionary story about cruising versus other types of vacations as opposed to an individual cruiseline since there was nothing specifically different about DCL in it. But even if that had been the aim, it was still a very unbalanced in presenting the options/alternatives to cruising and started off as very biased against cruising. I get that they have to publish a lot on various topics and get people to read them, but I've seen comparative articles before on various resorts or other products which can be very useful; this was a lazily written "article" indeed.

Last edited:
Am I the only one who thought the "reality" photos all looked actually pretty good? This is me reading the article:

On the pool side-by-side, I was like "ooh, lots of open lounge chairs; hope that is true on our cruise" and "my kids are going to have sooooo much fun splashing in the mickey pool with the other kids." Plus, agree with everyone who said it makes no sense for them to compare a shot of the adult hot hub with the family pool, and say the hot tub is not the reality, when that hot tub actually exists and is awesome.

On the Bunk Beds, I was like "whee, my kids are going to love their bunk bed on our next trip and I love the way they fold it up during the day so we can all have extra space in the room."

On the two cruise ships, I was like "see this is one thing I love about DCL, the boat is so much prettier than other ships"

And for castaway cay, I see empty loungers right up front, and lots of open space in the swimming area--doesn't look overcrowded at all to me. And that white sand and blue-green ocean are PERFECT!!"

On the norovirus, I was like "only 100 cases in a year when there are thousands and thousands of guests on the ship?"

On the buffet, I was like "oooooooh, I want that banana pie. And look how pretty the carved watermelon is!"

It can get crowded but the picture they had wasn't even that crowed.

Right? There are maybe 10 people in that shot.

They all polish reality/photoshop, etc. Don't blame DCL, blame marketing!

Blame humans. How many people want a ppo adr to get that empty Main Street shot, when they know perfectly well it’s all trickery bc there are 20 people lined up to get that exact shot...

I thought the best part was they had to go back 2 years to reference a norovirus outbreak of 100 people. I'm pretty sure some other cruise lines have those outbreaks like every month. With more than 100 sick.

Not to mention that on a cruise line (or classroom or gym etc) situation it’s NOT contaminated food to blame. It’s individuals not washing their hands and then putting their hands to their face!

Yahoo doesn't really do their own articles, they just link you to other places, and I think this was some sort of business magazine.

Businessinsider

Thank you for recognizing this. As someone who is technically a millennial, I have been waiting for everyone to realize that there is a generation after us just waiting to be poo-pooed.

Z I believe is their current name. My son is one. I like his generation so far.

I just *can't* with this article.

Because Disney is the only cruise line to share a port.....I mean that doesn't even make sense?!

What. Ever.>:(:sad2:

I think docking with other ships in the ports is part of the fun anyway. It's clear the writer had an axe to grind -- but we know better ;)

I think docking with other ships in the ports is part of the fun anyway. It's clear the writer had an axe to grind -- but we know better ;)

Not an "axe to grind" but "bills to pay". As you can see in my last post, it's nothing but a "reassigned" click bait article.

People click. Get angry. Share the article. More clicks. Website makes money.

And based on all the comments I've seen (1,225) it was a success.

I just *can't* with this article.

Because Disney is the only cruise line to share a port.....I mean that doesn't even make sense?!

What. Ever.>:(:sad2:
That’s probably the one that makes me scratch my head the most. How many of us check the cruise schedules to see when we DON’T have other ships in port with us?

That’s probably the one that makes me scratch my head the most. How many of us check the cruise schedules to see when we DON’T have other ships in port with us?

Lol, right? Who cares if there is another ship in port? If I fly to the Bahamas, I don’t look out my airplane window and think “grr, there’s another airplane at the gate next to mine. Why should I have to share the Bahamas with other tourists?”

Lol, right? Who cares if there is another ship in port? If I fly to the Bahamas, I don’t look out my airplane window and think “grr, there’s another airplane at the gate next to mine. Why should I have to share the Bahamas with other tourists?”
I enjoy looking at the other ships in port and then realizing ours is the prettiest.

I enjoy looking at the other ships in port and then realizing ours is the prettiest.

YES!

I still laugh when I think about our first DCL cruise. When we were in Nassau, at noon (I think) Captain Henry sounded the Mickey Whistles. I could see kids on the ship next to us (I *think* it was Carnival, but could have been Royal Caribbean) look at their parents and I heard one say "Mommy, why doesn't OUR ship do that?? It's cool!!"

:rotfl2: :rotfl2: :rotfl2: :rotfl2: :rotfl2:

YES!

I still laugh when I think about our first DCL cruise. When we were in Nassau, at noon (I think) Captain Henry sounded the Mickey Whistles. I could see kids on the ship next to us (I *think* it was Carnival, but could have been Royal Caribbean) look at their parents and I heard one say "Mommy, why doesn't OUR ship do that?? It's cool!!"

You could hear a child on another ship 50+ yards away say something to their mother? What do you have super power ears? That sounds like something you would read on Yahoo news.

You could hear a child on another ship 50+ yards away say something to their mother? What do you have super power ears? That sounds like something you would read on Yahoo news.

They said it loudly. And it was the one on the water side, so we were both in between the piers.

I don't find it hard to believe. I remember being able to hear people in the same way, and I definitely do not have super power ears. Just takes listening and being observant.

They said it loudly. And it was the one on the water side, so we were both in between the piers.

Totally get it.

Ok, she must have had a deadline she was about to miss, that's the only way an article could be written so badly........

** I knew that was the Port of Miami when I saw the pic and I thought "Guess I'm wrong, the journalist would know from doing her research". WRONG!

Hey, it’s on the list of top adult superpowers. Number 6 will surprise you.

I don't find it hard to believe. I remember being able to hear people in the same way, and I definitely do not have super power ears. Just takes listening and being observant.

Totally get it.
Yeah I always listen to other people's conversations on other ships docked 50 yards away. Listening and being observant is all it takes....No offense but wiell have to agree to disagree.

Last edited:
I can believe it - I can “hear silence” from a long distance away with kiddos. Like when the noise suddenly stops and you know something naughty is happening. It’s just too quiet

Hey guys, let's remember to keep this thread on topic. We are all here to share our experiences and there is no need to question others.

YES!

I always notice the kids on other ships gawking at the disney ships while in port. The aquaducks gets a lot of attention :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts