as a child , where did your family do their shopping?

We only had one car when I was young and mom didn't get her license for a few years anyway. I remember taking the public bus and then walking with mom to the A&P before getting back on the bus to go home.

Almost all of our groceries came from the small General Store in our tiny, isolated farm community. A lot of my clothes and other durable goods were mail-order from the Sears catalogue.

Last edited:

butcher shop for meats, other food items if prices were comparable then it was driven by who was handing out more blue chip stamps (often safeway if memory serves me). certain stores were one and only source for some items-men's underwear-jc penny, levi jeans- victory army/navy surplus store, tools/appliances-sears & roebuck.

Woolworths: including the lunch counter.
Roses
Kmart
Sears
JCPenny
Commissary and bx
And forget about shopping on Sundays back then

Last edited:
Fedmart, Price Club, Vons...

Edit, I thought this was just groceries. Add Montgomery Ward, Woolworth’s, Sears, Amvets, to name a few. I also loved the malls back then.

Last edited:
P&C - My Dad was actually the grocery shopper in our family, and I used to like to go with him on Thursday evenings.

For quick "milk & bread runs" there was a little corner store I don't remember the name of, that we were allowed to walk to by ourselves.

Supermarket - Bohack and Key Food

Misc. - Woolworth (loved the counter for breakfast/lunch) and Korvette's

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!