As expected . New fast passes are tested in Hong Kong

Disneyadore

DIS Veteran
Park News - (7/10/09) I’ve been told that a special upcharge version of Disney’s FastPass system (with quicker or instant access times), dubbed the “Magic Pass” is currently being tested at Hong Kong Disneyland. An extra fee Magic Pass system has been rumored to have been in the works for years in the US, but has yet to surface… could be they are testing the guest reaction to such a system and how to blend it in with the free FastPass system.

Year of a Million Dreams fastpasses and Birthday fastpasses or Disney Vacation Club fastpasses come close to an upcharge fastpass. It would be a no-brainer to sell those things at the park entrance.

The YOAMD fastpasses are completely manual, snap off a piece of the badge and hand it to the ride attendant, no time delays or time windows needed. The Birthday and DVC fastpasses are fetched using a card similar to a park pass and can be gotten even when the regular fastpasses are sold out.

Disney hints: http://www.cockam.com/fastpass.htm

DVC fastpasses are given to prospective members attending the seminar, not to current members.

Why test these in Hong Kong?? The people there are going to react differently than here in the U.S. because of the cultural difference and the fact that they haven't really had the Fastpass system as long as we have. Besides, they should already know the overall guest reaction to this; very, very angry.

Angry is correct!!

I was upset when they raised the stroller prices so high and I don't even need one!!

Further details that I posted a few months ago:

This is completely off-topic, but I thought this was interesting as it may be a sign of the way things might be going.

Hong Kong Disneyland, as part of it's latest promotion (http://park.hongkongdisneyland.com/hkdl/html/StarGuest/en_US/index.html) is offering (for a limited three-month period), an extra-cost 'Star Pass', effectively a fast-pass book.

The Pass costs 80-120 HKD (10-15 USD) depending on the day (around a third of the price of a park ticket). It provides one entry to Buzz Lightyear, Winnie-the-Pooh and Space Mountain (effectively a fast pass with no designated time), and priority entrance (and your choice of seat) for Philharmagic, the Festival of the Lion King and the Golden Mickeys stage show. (Note that these are the only Fastpass attractions in the park).

It doesn't sound like a great deal to me, as you don't get that much for your money (after all, you don't get to see the shows any quicker), plus it sounds like the crowds are light most of the time and they still have the regular Fastpass system. Personally I don't like the idea - I like the fact that everyone has equal access to all of the rides via the regular queues and the current Fast Pass system. :grouphug:

However, I thought this was interesting. Maybe this is Disney testing the concept of additional extra-cost 'Dream Fastpasses' like the ones they gave out at Disney World during Year of a Million Dreams? Maybe now that many people are familiar with the concept of the Dream Fastpasses and this year's Birthday Fastpasses, they may start selling them next year? And the HKDL promotion ('Star Guest Programme') sounds strangely similar to the 'What Will You Celebrate' promotion - maybe this is beta testing of an extension to the current promotion? Or maybe I'm looking far too much into this and should stop being so cynical!?!:rolleyes1

Details of the Star Pass can be found at http://park.hongkongdisneyland.com/hkdl/en_US/ticketsAndReservations/overview?name=StarPassPage

As I found out recently, the lines at HKDL are very, very, very light (or at least they were when I was there) so it would make very little difference to anyone. None of the lines ever got as long as the point where the Fastpass and standby lines merged.

I am so not happy about this. We spend enough money so we can go here each year. It's nice to get a fast pass perk for nothing.

Why dont they just lower the cost of the tickets to get in and go back to where you pay for rides.

We just returned home from a trip to Hong Kong. When we visited HK Disneyland, we bought the "Star Pass". Although it was a minimal cost, it turned out to be a waste of money.

The only pass we used was for Buzz Lightyear. There was only a 20 minute wait, but due to the weather, we wanted to get inside as quickly as possible. We considered using the Winnie the Pooh pass, but instead used the fastpass machine at ride. We did not see any other guests using the fastpass machines.

I could see how this type of fastpass booklet would be useful in Florida. However, there were really no lines in Hong Kong for it to be useful there.

I have a picture of the booklet if anyone would like to see it. I don't think that I can figure out how to include it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter