Ashamed to go to Disney without kids

Twinkling

Earning My Ears
DH and I don't have children, with no plans for any in the foreseeable future. And the couple times we've gone in extended groups with kids, I admit, I prefer traveling with adults. That being said, on our recent visits, I can't help but feel immense guilt for going without any children in tow. It feels selfish in a way, or maybe just immature? To clarify, I do NOT judge other adults visiting and enjoying their vacation, these feelings are all pointed inward and I don't know how to deal with them. Disney is our happy place and is a huge part of our lives, I don't want to stop going. We still take other 'adult' vacations, so it's not like it's because the parks are getting stale.

Does anyone else here battle with this conflict of emotions? It's difficult when I don't like to do the sorts of things most other adults at the parks seem to love like drinking or the scarier rides, and instead I'm waiting in line to meet Princess Elena with a crowd of toddlers.

I don't know how to get past this and it makes me so sad. I've talked to DH about it, but like I said, we don't want to stop going so we still go and I just deal with feeling stupid and guilty the whole time.

You don't have kids and you prefer to go the parks without kids, so you go without kids.
Seriously, I'm not just saying this: there is NOTHING wrong with an adult enjoying a theme park with no children involved whatsoever. NOTHING. Not even a little bit.
You paid your entrance fee, enjoy the park!
What are you feeling guilty about? That you didn't track down a relative's kid and convince them to let you bring them? Maybe in the future you will have kids or will travel with another couple with kids, and these non-kid trips are training you to be an even greater tour guide for them in the future!
I suspect your feelings are probably tied to some deep-seated emotions you're dealing with internally and don't mean to make light of them.

DH & I loved going before we had kids and we look forward to going on our own again when they're on their own. I don't feel bad or silly or guilty about going at all. It's open to all ages. I enjoy it. I can afford to go. Therefore, why not? :)

I hope you can find a way to make those bummer thoughts take a hike so you can better enjoy all of your future trips! :)

OP, I get what you are saying. We always went to WDW with the kids, then grandkids. Then one time, we stayed over when the others went home, and we had a BLAST! We have done trips without the kids/gkids for several years now and we absolutely love it. At first, I wondered what people would think of grandparents alone at Disney? You know what, none of that mattered; no one cared. I also got over that feeling pretty quick, too :) Like you, we don't drink, and we enjoy all that is offered for rides/entertainment. There's no judging at WDW, only of yourself. So just know that you are just one of many who enjoy Disney without children. It's amazing!

Last edited:

Im solo female from Ireland, I travel half way around the world on my own to go to Disneyland California. In Ireland its a more "grown up world" and I dont fit in with most Irish people my age. I dont have kids and my interests are more in line with people half my age. In Ireland Disney parks are seen as a kids thing, adults go on 2 week package holidays to Spain, sit by the pool all day and then go to the pub and get drunk at night, rinse and repeat for 10 days. That has never been me. Most people my age have kids, a car, a mortgage, the suburban life.

I go to Disneyland for many reasons but one reason is I am free to be me. I Disney bound, do pin trading, go on rides, watch shows and generally am a typical park guest. Disney parks are one of the few places where adults can escape reality and the responsibilities of being an adult. Its even more fun being an adult in Disney as you have the money to buy whatever merchandise you want, you dont have to have 3 square meals a day, you can snack and eat all the churros you want to , you can stay up late and go to the fireworks and have 5 hours sleep and then get up early for rope drop.

My point is that somehow its been conditioned into society that Disney is for kids and that adults only go there to bring kids. This is so not the case. I think you are battling an inner turmoil of what everyone expects you be and what you want to be. People attack what they dont understand and many dont understand why adults would go to Disney parks. You just need to have the confidence in yourself to let yourself enjoy Disney parks instead of worrying what people will think.

Heck no! I went as a child many times, and went by myself with a friend at age 18. Then I went with my own kids, and then my own grandkids.

One of my childless friends goes every year with her husband, sister and that extended family, all as adults, and I see her photos on Facebook and am so very jealous.

I'm going with a friend in January (she's 64, and I'm 55). I'm going to have so much more fun with her! The last time I went without a child was when I was 18, and I'm looking forward to dinners, shows, the rides, etc just as I did when I was a child, but with my own schedule.

My son is on deployment, but when we returns I'd like to go with him now that he's a 28 year old adult!.

Yes, it's cool for the kids because of the magic of the place. But it's better as an adult, because I can eat what I want, see what I want, stay out later than 10PM, etc.

I feel like a Star Trekker- "Boldly go where no one has gone before". But believe me, I never looked at childless people as out of place- I looked at them with envy at times!

I think it's perfectly okay to feel a little insecure. I mean that's normal, people have all sorts of insecurities over lots of things. "Am I eating too much? Too little? Will people like the way I dress? Will I be the only person dressed up? What will people think?"

The answers are usually pretty surprising actually. I go with my hubby, don't have any kids, don't have any plans for any and chatting with parents in lines the comments I got when I said it was just us two? "That must be nice! I've been chasing my kid all day, It's only noon and I'm so tired." "Man, I'd love to do that." "Moving at your own pace sounds fun!" and a whole lot of similar comments. I admit I sometimes see a nice happy family with a lot of kids and wonder for a moment what that would be like, but I never for a minute thought they might be doing the same to me!

All that 'adult' means anyway is that you survived your childhood so now you can do what you want. If you want to be a kid again, be a kid. You want to rope drop, or explore the lounges? You want to ride Splash Mountain five times in a row and laugh the whole time? You can do any of those things! Try to relax, focus on that part of Disney you love and don't even think about anyone else but yourself for a while. You're on vacation, that's what vacations are for.

You want to ride Splash Mountain five times in a row and laugh the whole time? You can do any of those things!

lol, you should see me on Luigis in Carsland. Im the solo adult singing along, with my hands in the air doing all the actions and chair dancing. Im not just sitting there being the embarrassed adult on kids ride and not joining in cos what would people think! Im the same on Radiator Springs, Im the single rider in a car with strangers hollering and cheering as we go round the race track.

DH and I don't have children, with no plans for any in the foreseeable future. And the couple times we've gone in extended groups with kids, I admit, I prefer traveling with adults. That being said, on our recent visits, I can't help but feel immense guilt for going without any children in tow. It feels selfish in a way, or maybe just immature? To clarify, I do NOT judge other adults visiting and enjoying their vacation, these feelings are all pointed inward and I don't know how to deal with them. Disney is our happy place and is a huge part of our lives, I don't want to stop going. We still take other 'adult' vacations, so it's not like it's because the parks are getting stale.

Does anyone else here battle with this conflict of emotions? It's difficult when I don't like to do the sorts of things most other adults at the parks seem to love like drinking or the scarier rides, and instead I'm waiting in line to meet Princess Elena with a crowd of toddlers.

I don't know how to get past this and it makes me so sad. I've talked to DH about it, but like I said, we don't want to stop going so we still go and I just deal with feeling stupid and guilty the whole time.

Story time:
Two years ago, I took my first adult trip with my dad (we went once when I was a kid) and we thought it was one & done. We really didn't think much the stuff that was "for kids" (no character meals, no dumbo ride or the like, etc.). We had a great time. We did the Ultimate Day of Thrills Tour, Wild Africa Trek, etc. We were glad to go But there was a point after the trip I remembered that really got me thinking.

We had to separate for part of the time because my dad caught cold, so after our morning rides, he'd go back to the resort while I found myself solo in the parks. Trying to figure out what I wanted to do, I figured the silliest thing I could do was meet the princesses. Waiting in line at Fairy Tale Hall for Tiana and Rapunzel first, I felt really stupid and akward just like you described. But that was the tipping point for me as I met those two...Tiana asking me about signature food in VA (I could only muster "ham" as an answer XD) and Rapunzel asking me to pose like a thug/ruffian (we did a back to back pose arms crossed).

But that's where the dominoes fell. After I met them, I decided to meet the other half of Fairy Tale hall, and then Merida, and then Ariel. I ended up park hopping to EPCOT and meeting all the other princesses. Except for Pocahontas, who on my last day I met at Animal Kingdom. And a few months after this experience, I began to realize my dad and I didn't fully immerse ourselves in that zeitgeist that Disney offers. And after listening to a bunch of youtube videos (mainly DFB with a few Dis Unplugged in there), I began evolving a plan. My dad and I took our second trip and it was very character focused: I made my own autograph book using a photo of the Bon Voyage Breakfast fold out as a book cover, I booked 3 character meals (Tusker House, Trattorial Al Forno Bon Voyage Breakfast, and CRT), and I met as many characters as I could. It wasn't my last meet, but that Joy & Sadness were the last signatures in my book makes that book very poignant about the trip and having to leave.

My point? I still felt awkward meeting characters but it was something I was going to do. I had so much more fun than the last trip once I just accepted the idea that you're never too old to do whatever Disney offers. We have our third trip coming up and is a bit more adult focused, but I'll be damned if I'm not riding Dumbo at night (and yes I still plan on collecting autographs. Need those rare characters!). So as long as you're happy and you're aware of those insecurities, don't worry about them. Do everything you've ever wanted to do at Disney and know you're not the only adult there who does them.

Childless millennial here :wave:. My husband and I go to Disney at least once a year. Usually by ourselves. Sometimes with other adults. Extremely rarely with any children. But it's our happy place and it's meant for everyone! Honestly I probably enjoy Disney more as an adult than I did as a kid. Beautiful resorts, great food & drinks, and no driving required -- what adult doesn't enjoy that?! Go live it up with those toddlers in the Princess line! 😜

I just went with my mom. I'm 30. I waited in line to meet characters and get photos and autographs. I booked the Adventure Breakfast at Trattoria Al Forno and met Rapunzel and Ariel. I went to Chef Mickeys for brunch and when I met Goofy, I cried. He gave me the biggest hug. It was awesome.

I've had more fun going as an adult than I ever had as a kid or going with kids. I immerse myself in it. I'm an only child who grew up with Disney. It's safe and familiar and when I get a chance to go to the parks, it's the best feeling in the world. I hope I get even more chances to go in the future. Go and have fun!

I've had more fun going as an adult than I ever had as a kid or going with kids. I immerse myself in it. I'm an only child who grew up with Disney. It's safe and familiar and when I get a chance to go to the parks, it's the best feeling in the world. I hope I get even more chances to go in the future. Go and have fun!

This. Just all of this.

I am very much a childless millennial and I frequently visit the parks to ruin families' vacations. :rotfl2:I kid....I kid.....kind of. LOL. But for real, my husband and I have visited the parks (mostly childless) at least once a year for the past 9 years and even had an annual pass one of those years. It's amazing to go without kids and there is no need to feel guilty. In fact, most parents wished they were you. LOL. On one trip 2 years ago I took my mom and we were in line at Be Our Guest behind a couple with 4 kids. We started speaking with them when the dad looked around us and went....is it just the 2 of you. When we said yes he was like, would you like to take some kids???? LOL. I've found that most parents there are just jealous you aren't having to deal with over tired children and getting to really enjoy it. Just have fun. It doesn't matter what other people think anyways!

What does Disney have to do with children? It’s just an overpriced carnival with much better rides.

Do you feel bad going to a carnival without kids?

I live near Disney and see adults and solo tourist all the time. And then there are the locals who come and go,sometimes with their families and sometimes alone. Most people aren't even going to notice.

Single... 44 years old man here. Been going to Disney solo at least once a year for the last decade. As an extreme introvert it took me a couple of visits to realize that those feelings were, at least for me, my fear of how other people saw me. And then I realize that the vast majority of people don't even pay attention to the other guests. Granted I don't meet the characters I haven't gotten over my fear of judgement for that yet. But I go on Small World at least once a trip. ;)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!